ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Netflix: The OA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304646)

listopencil 12-22-2016 10:42 PM

Netflix: The OA

Anyone watching this? I watched the first episode a bit ago to try it out. Over the course of the episode I think I grew to dislike every single character on the show. The main character is just annoying as all hell. But, for some reason, I am interested in finding out what is going on. It's another one of those purposefully vague shows where you have to figure out what's going on and not much is explained. And that's my weakness unfortunately. It also had some compelling scenes with interesting visuals. I'm going to give it a try even though I found myself cringing at it here and there-and that's only one episode in.

Nickhead 12-22-2016 10:56 PM

its actually decent. you get tired of the timeline shifts from today to 'storytime', but it really is decent. you just have to have a high tolerance for waiting for the drama to shift.

id give it 7.5 of 10 , but it could easily be seen by others as a 5.

listopencil 12-23-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12635030)
its actually decent. you get tired of the timeline shifts from today to 'storytime', but it really is decent. you just have to have a high tolerance for waiting for the drama to shift.

id give it 7.5 of 10 , but it could easily be seen by others as a 5.

I don't mind the time changes. The only thing I find annoying with those is that the actress playing the OA doesn't really look much like she is appearing at different ages in different time periods. She always looks vaguely 30-ish to me. I just don't like the characters. Maybe they just aren't developed yet and I'll get used to them. Maybe I'm spoiled from watching actors just living in the skin of their roles on Westworld and nailing it. I don't know. I don't have another show I'm following right now so I'll keep giving it a chance.

listopencil 12-24-2016 11:03 PM

Whelp, that was weird.

Nickhead 12-25-2016 01:38 AM

it wasn't terrible, but good enough for me to follow thru. the ending did the show justice to a degree, but man it took its time getting to the point :D

listopencil 12-25-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12639098)
it wasn't terrible, but good enough for me to follow thru. the ending did the show justice to a degree, but man it took its time getting to the point :D

Did it show how the cop busted the doctor? I wasn't paying attention, glanced back to my screen, saw the cop holding him at gunpoint. I don't want to go back and watch it again.

listopencil 12-25-2016 11:40 AM

There were a few things that took me out of it and ruined my suspension of disbelief bubble. The whole dance magic thing was iffy, and then I thought the moves looked really goofy. I went along with the string-of-coincidences plot line because they did an interesting job of tying a lot of it together but a few of the incidents were too much. For instance BBA coming into money and then of course the money bails out the bully...meh. Also, if you're going to have a show the incorporates dance so much, and the female lead very obviously has a nice dancer's body but an odd face, and you've already got suggestive nudity sprinkled in there, would it have killed you to have her dance around with less clothes on?

kepp 12-25-2016 07:26 PM

We watched it all. It began good in the first episodes, but I couldn't get past the corny dancing moves. The last two episodes went way downhill for me.

Shogun 12-26-2016 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 12640216)
We watched it all. It began good in the first episodes, but I couldn't get past the corny dancing moves. The last two episodes went way downhill for me.

Agreed. what the **** were they thinking?

unlurking 12-26-2016 09:57 AM

dance magic?

lol, I've been on the fence about giving this a shot, but I think that just decided it for me.

Rausch 12-27-2016 11:00 PM

It's got Brit Marling in it so I'll be watching.

I loved her in just about everything she's in...

listopencil 12-27-2016 11:08 PM

It is very entertaining visually. The show looks great. The plot is compelling enough and there are some fun twists in there. But the writing (and the acting) is poor. And the dance magic is just really stupid.

Rausch 12-27-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12645651)
And the dance magic is just really stupid.

Uh, I don't like the sound of that...

listopencil 12-28-2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12645657)
Uh, I don't like the sound of that...

They access mystical abilities through movement. There are a series of movements that will cause events to happen when performed correctly. The movements are modern dance routines that look stupid as all hell.

Rausch 12-28-2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 12645734)
They access mystical abilities through movement. There are a series of movements that will cause events to happen when performed correctly. The movements are modern dance routines that look stupid as all hell.

:facepalm: