ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Looking to relocate to KC (among other places) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268496)

pr_capone 01-04-2013 04:59 PM

Looking to relocate to KC (among other places)

The wife and I have grown weary of Wichita and want to get out of here. KC-MO, Raleigh-NC, and Denver/Colorado Springs-CO are our first options. Figured I would use the resources of CP to get some info on KC and possible work.

My work experience includes sales, customer service, computer support (both in person and via call center), helpdesk, and management (cell phone shop). I'm looking for work in that vein. I'm also looking for suggestions on what part of town to look at vs avoid.

If anyone has any leads or info to share... it would be greatly appreciated.

ChiTown 01-04-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9281816)
The wife and I have grown weary of Wichita and want to get out of here. KC-MO, Raleigh-NC, and Denver/Colorado Springs-CO are our first options. Figured I would use the resources of CP to get some info on KC and possible work.

My work experience includes sales, customer service, computer support (both in person and via call center), helpdesk, and management (cell phone shop). I'm looking for work in that vein. I'm also looking for suggestions on what part of town to look at vs avoid.

If anyone has any leads or info to share... it would be greatly appreciated.

Strange mix of cities.......

Gonzo 01-04-2013 05:02 PM

I've been to all those places and if I had the choice, I'd probably pick Colorado on aesthetics alone.
However, take a look at the job market, taxes etc.

I'm surprised you're not thinking about Omaha with your background.

Marcellus 01-04-2013 05:05 PM

You taking the dog ramp? On second though better sell it with the house, its sure to bring an extra $5000.

Brock 01-04-2013 05:08 PM

KC's a great city with much lower expenses than the other two. If scenery matters, well, ya know.

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:10 PM

ive been to all those places only visited a friend in nc but if I had to choose , with no family or friend affiliation to any, id choose the springs. beautiful , tons of outdoor activities at ur doorstep, family/ middle age group oriented place. prolly better jobs to be had in the other listed cities tho. it all comes down to what youre looking for

pr_capone 01-04-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9281823)
Strange mix of cities.......

I think so too but they each have their perks.

KC is near Wichita and wifey's parents are ancient so it would be nice to be somewhat nearby. Not having to drive 3.5 horus for Chiefs games is also a huge bonus.

Raleigh-Durham is 1 hour away from the ocean (which I miss greatly) and 1 hour from mountains. I sincerely miss geographical changes... Wichita is flat and boring.

CO would have us near a major city and beautiful scenery. Wifey enjoys skiing so not having to go forever away to do so is great as well.

----

I've not ruled out any other city but climate will have a lot to do with the decision.

Donger 01-04-2013 05:11 PM

I'm not really a fan of the Springs, but Denver is a pleasant place to live, as long as you can tolerate being in "Broncos Country." Dish Network might be worth a look at for a job in line with your experience.

KCUnited 01-04-2013 05:13 PM

In KC, if you don't have kids, KCMO is it, specifically Brookside/Plaza, Waldo, Hyde Park, Union Hill, Roanoke are some good options. Got kids and want stay in Missouri, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Parkville, Gladstone, NKC, and Liberty are good options (although I am admittedly less familiar with those areas as I don't have kids).

Chief_For_Life58 01-04-2013 05:16 PM

climate? its 65 and sunny today in san diego and im going skiing this sunday at snow valley. 200 dollar round trip flights to kc. thread. over.

teedubya 01-04-2013 05:17 PM

If you move to KC, move to a Google Fiberhood.

With your ability to rally the troops with SOC, I'd say you'd do great in a sales gig somewhere, selling the right products.

The Franchise 01-04-2013 05:17 PM

I've heard that Oakland, CA is a nice place to live. I won't go anywhere near it....but I've heard.

BlackHelicopters 01-04-2013 05:19 PM

Cost of living in KC would be hard to beat compared to the other two. The trade off is you live in a town with both the Royals and the Chiefs.

rageeumr 01-04-2013 05:24 PM

If I were single or if my wife and I weren't both so happy with our jobs, I would have uprooted and moved to Colorado by now. Beautiful scenery, and I love to ski, snowboard, run and bike.

Bob Dole 01-04-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9281906)
climate? its 65 and sunny today in san diego and im going skiing this sunday at snow valley. 200 dollar round trip flights to kc. thread. over.

Thread over? It's ****ing sunny and 72 in Olathe.