ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs LNBS: Can Alex Smith be "Fixed"? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290006)

BossChief 01-16-2015 10:40 PM

LNBS: Can Alex Smith be "Fixed"?

Part of me wants to think so.

We saw flashes in 2013 of him testing defenses downfield and being a lot more than a game manager.

Then his OL got severely downgraded through 3 big losses in free agency (all 3 got overpaid) and his 2 guards weren't even nfl quality, let alone starter quality.

His receivers needed a major upgrade last offseason (they were an obvious team weakness) and other than adding Jason Avant late in the year and developing a promising rookie in Albert Wilson...not a whole lot was done to help provide Alex Smith with adequate weapons. Losing Avery to injury further weakened an already subpar unit.

Here's my question:

If they improve the OL and receivers...will we see Alex Smith come out of his shell again (like we saw flashes of in the second half of 2013)?

If he does, how far can this team go if the defense plays like it has and Dee Ford steps into Hali's shoes adequately?

Hammock Parties 01-16-2015 10:40 PM

You've been a Chiefs fan long enough that you know the answer is, was and always will be NO.

TribalElder 01-16-2015 10:41 PM

Yes he can be fixed, he could be flipped to an unsuspecting team for 2 second round picks

Not anymore, he was already spayed

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-16-2015 10:41 PM

This version of Alex Smith is the fixed Alex Smith. The unfixed version had his fans chanting "We want Carr."

TimBone 01-16-2015 10:42 PM

I believe with a better O-line and Wr's he can be a bit better. But at over 30 years old, he is what he is for the most part.

Jim Lahey 01-16-2015 10:44 PM

I think he's already been fixed..

He played like he didn't have balls all last season.

Hammock Parties 01-16-2015 10:45 PM

This better be the last time we have this conversation.

If we ever acquire another POS game managing retread I don't want to ever hear the same excuses made EVER again.

Iconic 01-16-2015 10:49 PM

He is 30 years old... no.

All we can do now is mask his faults by giving him a better O-Line and receiving options.

BossChief 01-16-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11273277)
This version of Alex Smith is the fixed Alex Smith. The unfixed version had his fans chanting "We want Carr."

I don't think that's fair.

Alex Smith or no Alex Smith, these OL and WR groups were horrid.

When he first got here, he looked like dog crap until the bye week.

After the bye, he played at a pretty high level the rest of the year. Not Rodgers/Brady/BigBens level...but he was playing the best ball of his career and was a straight up playmaker in the playoffs. Scored over 40 without Charles.

It's a damn shame Hali and Houston got hurt or we might have kicked some ass in those playoffs.

My question is can the guy get back to that level and play even better if we add another playmaker or 2 at receiver while solidifying the OL (nobody can argue that the line wasn't terrible, it was)

Easy 6 01-16-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11273278)
I believe with a better O-line and Wr's he can be a bit better. But at over 30 years old, he is what he is for the most part.

This.

He can make incremental improvements, but all in all... what you see is what we're getting.

The man couldnt nut up enough to toss even ONE touchdown this year, so help me I'll never get over nor understand that... its one of the strangest and saddest statistics of all time.

SO BRING ON THE ELITE FREE AGENT WIDE RECEIVER DORSEY.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-16-2015 10:51 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0830...ray_ah_200.jpg

Jim Lahey 01-16-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11273298)

Now this...this I can fap to.

BossChief 01-16-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11273285)
This better be the last time we have this conversation.

If we ever acquire another POS game managing retread I don't want to ever hear the same excuses made EVER again.

Try to remember what it felt like after the MNF game

Or after beating Buffalo

Or Miami

Or giving it to Seattle.

All I'm saying is those weren't illusions. They were legit wins.

I just have to wonder what this team can do if we add some playmakers and give Jamaal/Davis a better line to run behind.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2015 10:56 PM

If he matched his TD production from 2013.....about 6 more TDs, we would have been in the playoffs.

So yes, i think its possible he can be fixed.

BossChief 01-16-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11273296)
This.

He can make incremental improvements, but all in all... what you see is what we're getting.

The man couldnt nut up enough to toss even ONE touchdown this year, so help me I'll never get over nor understand that... its one of the strangest and saddest statistics of all time.

SO BRING ON THE ELITE FREE AGENT WIDE RECEIVER DORSEY.

No way should they sign one.

They need to draft 2.

That way, if Alex doesn't step up...the next guy will have some weapons to throw to.

keg in kc 01-16-2015 10:58 PM

No. I don't think he can be fixed. Just have to hope the squad around him can be significantly enough improved and the playcalling/scheme can be sufficiently creative to render his limitations less...limiting. I think that's the most we can expect. He isn't going to turn into Aaron Rodgers at this point. Best we can hope for is probably a poor man's Rich Gannon.

Be really happy to be pleasantly surprised, but two years in it hasn't happened so far.

Easy 6 01-16-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 11273298)

If he isnt as flat out stupid as so many believe, we just might have a shot... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Reid seems to be leaning towards these weaker armed but somewhat more accurate and mobile types that are better suited to executing his new "three yards and a cloud of tackled short of the marker" offense.

TribalElder 01-16-2015 11:00 PM

2 minute drill throwing less than 5 yard passes

You can't make this shit up

TribalElder 01-16-2015 11:02 PM

Edit

Only a sophomore :shit:

O.city 01-16-2015 11:02 PM

By improving the OL (drastically, we hope) and upgrading the offensive weapons around him, yeah, he could be better.

Fixed though?

Don't think so. He's got the yips.

Easy 6 01-16-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273306)
No way should they sign one.

They need to draft 2.

That way, if Alex doesn't step up...the next guy will have some weapons to throw to.

I was strictly joking there, man.

My point was good luck bringing in an elite and prideful vet receiver when dude knows the QB here couldnt throw even one touchdown to a receiver across 16 games... it would seem like a damn near impossible task for Dorsey to pitch this offense to someone without paying through the nose.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:06 PM

If you're going to sign a WR free agent, it needs to be a young one that can be around for a while.

Hoover 01-16-2015 11:06 PM

I don't think he's broken.

Our offense is similar to the Saints but with a better running back.

Top receiver is a TE.

Kelse: 67 rec 862 yds 9 tds
Graham: 85 rec 889 yds 10 tds

Now the saints WRs caught 11 TDs and racked up 2300 yards.

Now the yardage might be difficult for Alex, but I think with better oline play and an upgraded WR corps he can get to that level.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:08 PM

I think it's severely understated how bad the guard play was for KC last year.

I'm of the opinion that if we draft/sign 2 STARTING CALIBUR guards that can move well in space as well as strong enough to run the ball in short yardage, that alone will massively upgrade the offense as a whole.

They do that while restructuring Bowe to a reasonable rate and drafting DGB or another playmaker at receiver to pair with DAT, Kelce, Charkes and Davis and this offense can be pretty fun to watch.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:08 PM

They won't ever win anything of importance if he doesn't atleast get the passing game in the top halfish of the league.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:08 PM

While I think the WR spot needs more talent obviously, DAT and WIlson need to take huge steps as WR's next year.

Mother****erJones 01-16-2015 11:10 PM

No. He is what he is. It's been proven time and time again.

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:10 PM

This is the NFL. Elite defensive lines that you face in the playoffs will get pressure. You will get behind by 10 points or more. The OL will never be good enough for Alex Smith to lead a dynasty. Why is this even a question? Alex Smith will never be Troy Aikman or Joe Flacco, which is what you guys are hoping for.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273322)
If you're going to sign a WR free agent, it needs to be a young one that can be around for a while.

Can't get caught paying big money to a free agent receiver unless you are POSITIVE he can come right into your system and be a cost effective use of resources.

I don't think anyone that will be available matches that description.

Maybe Maclin if the cost is 7-8 per year...but I think he can get more somewhere that has a proven quarterback that throws to the perimeter.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273335)
This is the NFL. Elite defensive lines that you face in the playoffs will get pressure. You will get behind by 10 points or more. The OL will never be good enough for Alex Smith to lead a dynasty. Why is this even a question? Alex Smith will never be Troy Aikman or Joe Flacco, which is what you guys are hoping for.

I don't necessarily agree with the elite defense part. 1 of the 4 teams left have that.

They have the QB's though.

Urban Meyer talked about it, but unless you've got that elite franchise QB (Rodgers, Brady, etc) the success or failure of your QB and ultimately team, rely s more on how well or poor the squad around them plays.

The Chiefs have to keep putting talent around Alex SMith and increasing talent on the roster, while looking for the next Rodgers or next signal caller.

AustinChief 01-16-2015 11:15 PM

If by "fixed" you mean downfield passing then yes. He has proven that he can hit open WRs downfield. We just never have any. It won't be a wide open offense because that isn't what we run and we don't have the O-line for it anyway. Our #1 priority has to be WR that can get consistent SEPARATION if we expect to have any success with Smith. Bowe is not that guy, never has been.

If we get the WRs we need and Smith still falters than that's fine, we should (if we aren't idiots) have someone groomed to step in by then. If the QBs we have now (Bray, Murray) look like they can't do it we need to look at drafting another in the 3rd this year.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273344)
Can't get caught paying big money to a free agent receiver unless you are POSITIVE he can come right into your system and be a cost effective use of resources.

I don't think anyone that will be available matches that description.

Maybe Maclin if the cost is 7-8 per year...but I think he can get more somewhere that has a proven quarterback that throws to the perimeter.

Look at what Desean Jackson got and similar WRs.

I don't think Maclin and Cobb will break the bank my any means.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273328)
They won't ever win anything of importance if he doesn't atleast get the passing game in the top halfish of the league.

Not trying to make excuses here. Alex needs to grow a pair of nuts.

He seemed comfortable throwing deep to Avery in 2013...we need 2 receivers that can get open and be on time like he did.

I think it's possible.

I'm still on the fence with Alex Smith...haven't entirely given up on him yet.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273350)
Look at what Desean Jackson got and similar WRs.

I don't think Maclin and Cobb will break the bank my any means.

Jackson came with MAJOR red flags.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273353)
Jackson came with MAJOR red flags.

But no injury history like Maclin.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11273348)
If by "fixed" you mean downfield passing then yes. He has proven that he can hit open WRs downfield. We just never have any. It won't be a wide open offense because that isn't what we run and we don't have the O-line for it anyway. Our #1 priority has to be WR that can get consistent SEPARATION if we expect to have any success with Smith. Bowe is not that guy, never has been.

If we get the WRs we need and Smith still falters than that's fine, we should (if we aren't idiots) have someone groomed to step in by then. If the QBs we have now (Bray, Murray) look like they can't do it we need to look at drafting another in the 3rd this year.

Nothing on this roster should keep them from drafting a quarterback in the third AT THE LATEST.

I'd be thrilled if they drafted a quarterback in the first.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2015 11:21 PM

31 year athletes rarely change their spots.

I think his Buster Douglas moment was the Indy playoff game.

Then he went back to being Buster Douglas.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:22 PM

Same with Decker last year.

I just don't see Cobb or Maclin making more than 8 per.

AustinChief 01-16-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273360)
Nothing on this roster should keep them from drafting a quarterback in the third AT THE LATEST.

Not sure there is one worth drafting in the 1st compared to WR value there. 2nd maybe... 3rd more likely... 4th and beyond is the same long shot garbage waste of a pick.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273360)

I don't think the value will be there for one in the first this year.

Maybe a guy like Hundley in the second or something though.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11273361)
31 year athletes rarely change their spots.

I think his Buster Douglas moment was the Indy playoff game.

Then he went back to being Buster Douglas.

He played well against NO in the playoffs, too.

Vernon Davis will probably hit the open market and I expect us to try our best to land him in FA. He will probably be less than 5/yr on a short term deal and that opens things up for is to draft receivers.

What you say is possible, but it's also possible that once we upgrade 3 starting positions that we had f quality players at to guys that are cs and bs (maybe even get a steal with DGB and land an a on a 4 year cheap contract) that they guy can consistently play at a level higher than a typical game manager.

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:29 PM

Alex Smith has thrown to 3 WRs that have 1000 yard seasons but he has never thrown 1000 yards to a receiver in a season. Giving him WRs is a waste of money.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273370)
He played well against NO in the playoffs, too.

Vernon Davis will probably hit the open market and I expect us to try our best to land him in FA. He will probably be less than 5/yr on a short term deal and that opens things up for is to draft receivers.

What you say is possible, but it's also possible that once we upgrade 3 starting positions that we had f quality players at to guys that are cs and bs (maybe even get a steal with DGB and land an a on a 4 year cheap contract) that they guy can consistently play at a level higher than a typical game manager.

I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be "bad". He's a great leader, great personality, hard working and smart. I think that 2011-2013 proved that he can be good. I just don't think he'll ever be great.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:31 PM

They need WR's that can get quick separation (said ad nauseum around here). He didn't have a problem throwing to ALbert Wilson when he was open.

Just go get WR's. If he won't throw to them, find some one who can. Win Win.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273365)
I don't think the value will be there for one in the first this year.

Maybe a guy like Hundley in the second or something though.

Alex is 31. They need to try and drAft their high ceiling kid to sit and learn ala Rodgers.

I come into this year less prepared than most. Was very busy and didn't get to watch the qbs as much as I usually like to.

I like the prospect of Andy Reid being given a guy with top shelf tools to free up the cap space Chase Daniel takes up.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:32 PM

Depends on the length of time he's asked to be great.

Aaron Rodgers has to be or is great all the time, basically. Alex Smith will never be that.

Great for a game? Sure.

Great for a 3 game playoff stretch? Dunno, doubtful.

Easy 6 01-16-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273335)
Alex Smith will never be Troy Aikman or Joe Flacco, which is what you guys are hoping for.

Its not to make excuses for Smith, most of us are well past past that... but given Aikmans line from the 90's or even Flaccos serviceable line from last week... we would have seen better production, theres no question about it.

Smiths line was all timer bad in 2014, and he promptly played down to the internal competition... Smith is ****ed, but not blaming anything else is truly intellectually dishonest.

Smith sucks, the line sucks, the receivers sucked... its a perpetually compounding equation of suck. Get the mfer some real help and we just might make the AFCCG before we have to ditch his ass and start over.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273376)
Alex is 31. They need to try and drAft their high ceiling kid to sit and learn ala Rodgers.

I come into this year less prepared than most. Was very busy and didn't get to watch the qbs as much as I usually like to.

I like the prospect of Andy Reid being given a guy with top shelf tools to free up the cap space Chase Daniel takes up.

If anything, Daniel will get traded or be here. He isn't making that much.

They can free up money by cutting other shitbirds.

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:33 PM

Albert Wilson will not have 1000 receiving yards in any season from Alex Smith.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273372)
Alex Smith has thrown to 3 WRs that have 1000 yard seasons but he has never thrown 1000 yards to a receiver in a season. Giving him WRs is a waste of money.

That's why I prefer to draft them.

Dorsey had an eye for WR talent while scouting college players for GB.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11273374)
I don't think that Alex Smith will ever be "bad". He's a great leader, great personality, hard working and smart. I think that 2011-2013 proved that he can be good. I just don't think he'll ever be great.

I truly hope I'm wrong.

He had more than just the playoff game where he played at a high level.

He has flashed the ability to be a playmaker.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273382)

500 of it would be from YAC.

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11273380)
Its not to make excuses for Smith, most of us are well past past that... but given Aikmans line from the 90's or even Flaccos serviceable line from last week... we would have seen better production, theres no question about it.

Smiths line was all timer bad in 2014, and he promptly played down to the internal competition... Smith is ****ed, but not blaming anything else is truly intellectually dishonest.

Smith sucks, the line sucks, the receivers sucked... its a perpetually compounding equation of suck. Get the mfer some real help and we just might make the AFCCG before we have to ditch his ass and start over.

You keep looking at averages. Consider a situation where the Chiefs are down 10 in the 3rd quarter and we are facing a good defense. The opponent's DL will get pressure and our WR won't get Alex Smith open. This will never be fixed.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273381)
If anything, Daniel will get traded or be here. He isn't making that much.

They can free up money by cutting other shitbirds.

His cap hit is 4.8 million next year.

Cutting him saves 3.8 million.

That's a lot

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273392)
You keep looking at averages. Consider a situation where the Chiefs are down 10 in the 3rd quarter and we are facing a good defense. The opponent's DL will get pressure and our WR won't get Alex Smith open. This will never be fixed.

Like the Buffalo game this year?

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273385)
He had more than just the playoff game where he played at a high level.

He has flashed the ability to be a playmaker.

Sure but that playoff game was his career apex. It would be shocking if he could repeat that performance once, let alone multiple times per season. He's just never been that guy in the NFL.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:41 PM

He's got too much of a mental block. I don't think he's got a gun slinger gene in him.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273382)

I think he is ultimately a slot receiver that can get you 800/8 every year if the top 2 wideouts are respected.

The guy was getting open and was on time so he gained a lot of trust from Alex as the season went on.

I really like that kid

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273384)
That's why I prefer to draft them.

Dorsey had an eye for WR talent while scouting college players for GB.

We drafted Bowe and he had three 1000 yard years and a 995 year with shit QBs before Alex Smith showed up.

Alex Smith becoming your QB is worse than getting Lyme disease if you are a WR.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273401)
I think he is ultimately a slot receiver that can get you 800/8 every year if the top 2 wideouts are respected.

The guy was getting open and was on time so he gained a lot of trust from Alex as the season went on.

I really like that kid

I think he could play outside.

He seems to really have the mentality, Steve Smith kind of mentality (who he models his game after, or tries to) to play outside.

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273395)
Like the Buffalo game this year?

If you were good to go with Alex why the hell did you start this thread????

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11273396)
Sure but that playoff game was his career apex. It would be shocking if he could repeat that performance once, let alone multiple times per season. He's just never been that guy in the NFL.

To be completely fair, he hasn't ever had a good receiving corps, either.

If we go into next year with

Bowe (only at a reduced cost)
DGB
Thomas
Wilson
Avant
Another draft pick

To add to

Charles
Davis
Kelce
-Vernon Davis-

I think Alex Smith will come out of his shell and start to trust his abilities more.

I hope I'm right.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273406)
If you were good to go with Alex why the hell did you start this thread????

I didn't say I was.

Just pointing out an example for the situation you layed out.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273403)
I think he could play outside.

He seems to really have the mentality, Steve Smith kind of mentality (who he models his game after, or tries to) to play outside.

I'm not trying to put it past the kid. I love his attitude and work ethic to go with his raw skills...and can't believe he was available to us.

Kids a keeper.

I just think that if this team is gonna have any chance at winning something significant with Alex Smith, guys like Wilson should be a 3...not a 2.

Easy 6 01-16-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11273392)

Down by 10 against a regular season "tough guy"... Alex will kick their sorry ass for even daring to to imagine beating the Chiefs, atleast one of every 10 times it happens.

Down by 10 against a playoff team that deserves to be there?... I have so little faith in the guy that switching over to the Lifetime network seems like a smart move.

Was it Hamas that said the Indy game last year was Smiths Buster Douglas moment? whoever it was that shit was DEAD ON, dude was a pumpkin for one game and fooled a great many of us with it... and lets be honest, he balled the **** OUT that game... and thats where that game game stayed.

A one shot deal, the best nut he ever blasted, never to be seen again.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273409)
To be completely fair, he hasn't ever had a good receiving corps, either.

While I agree completely, I think it's kind of "Pie in the Sky" to expect him to suddenly become a great QB because his receiving corp is massively upgraded.

It's just hard for me to believe he'd suddenly become a gunslinger.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273397)
He's got too much of a mental block. I don't think he's got a gun slinger gene in him.

I re watched a few of the games from the second half of 2013 and think he has shown the ability to come out of that shell.

RealSNR 01-16-2015 11:53 PM

You ever see the end of Old Yeller?

That's how Alex can be fixed.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273420)
I'm not trying to put it past the kid. I love his attitude and work ethic to go with his raw skills...and can't believe he was available to us.

Kids a keeper.

I just think that if this team is gonna have any chance at winning something significant with Alex Smith, guys like Wilson should be a 3...not a 2.

I can roll with that.

If DGB's off field stuff checks out (I'm skeptical it will enough for them) and he's there at 18 he would be in the discussion probably.

It's just really early for draft talk.

Hypothetically, if Desean Jackson gets cut which is a rumor I read somewhere, would you target him here?

O.city 01-16-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11273422)
While I agree completely, I think it's kind of "Pie in the Sky" to expect him to suddenly become a great QB because his receiving corp is massively upgraded.

I think putting a competent or even really good OL in front of him would go farther than a massively upgraded WR corp.

But, hopefully we do both and see what happens.

RealSNR 01-16-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11273376)

Andy Reid had that opportunity last draft in Teddy Bridgewater.

He passed.

BossChief 01-16-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11273422)

If this team signs Davis and drafts a kid with the talent if DGB, he will be able to trust his weapons a lot more than he does Hemmingway and Fasano.

That trust alone will help his level of play

cdcox 01-16-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11273426)

ROFL

jonzie04 01-16-2015 11:56 PM

He can definitely get better.. But he's not going to magically grow a set of balls, and learn the ability to fire the ball into tight places, with a dt coming right at him. He's never going to start wanting to win, more than he doesnt want to lose the game by throwing a pick.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Get raped bitch.

O.city 01-16-2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11273430)
Andy Reid had that opportunity last draft in Teddy Bridgewater.

He passed.

You live in MInnesota right?

I didn't watch much of them this year, but when I did, Bridgewater just seemed meh to me.

What am I missing with him?

TribalElder 01-16-2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

I lol'd

Everyone crying for WR better start looking for TEminstead if Alex is QB

O.city 01-17-2015 12:00 AM

Why does it have to be a TE, or a WR?

Te should be improved next year by Kelce taking the next step (we hope) and maybe adding a more athletic one and subtracting Fasano.

It can and should be both and all of the above.

BossChief 01-17-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273427)
I can roll with that.

If DGB's off field stuff checks out (I'm skeptical it will enough for them) and he's there at 18 he would be in the discussion probably.

It's just really early for draft talk.

Hypothetically, if Desean Jackson gets cut which is a rumor I read somewhere, would you target him here?

Absolutely.

The only 2 I'd even think of perusing are Desean (I doubt he gets cut though...big production for a somewhat reasonable contract) or Jeremy Maclin.

Familiarity with the system offers a huge premium to us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273429)
I think putting a competent or even really good OL in front of him would go farther than a massively upgraded WR corp.

But, hopefully we do both and see what happens.

I agree...but as I said I hope they get a legit plan b in place

Just in case Alex doesn't earn his money.

BossChief 01-17-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11273438)
You live in MInnesota right?

I didn't watch much of them this year, but when I did, Bridgewater just seemed meh to me.

What am I missing with him?

Wisconsin

Iirc