ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues White House mulls broader gun control (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268560)

notorious 01-06-2013 12:36 PM

White House mulls broader gun control
 

White House mulls broader gun control


http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-mu...--finance.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House is weighing a far broader approach to curbing U.S. gun violence than just reinstating a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

A working group led by Vice President Joseph Biden is seriously considering measures that would require universal background checks for gun buyers and track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, the newspaper said.

The measures would also strengthen mental health checks and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the Post said. The approach is backed by law enforcement leaders, it said.

President Barack Obama assigned Biden the job of designing the strategy after the massacre at a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school last month that killed 20 children and six adults.

To sell such changes, the White House is developing strategies to work around the National Rifle Association (NRA), the powerful gun lobby.

They include rallying support from Wal-Mart Stores Inc and other gun retailers for measures that would benefit their businesses, the Post said.

notorious 01-06-2013 12:38 PM

If this keeps the dumbasses from trying to ban "Assult Rifles" I say go for it.


It's a good idea to have better database management..

stonedstooge 01-06-2013 12:46 PM

So I'd have to report guns that I've had for 40 years for their database? Don't think so

2bikemike 01-06-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9288142)

White House mulls broader gun control


http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-mu...--finance.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House is weighing a far broader approach to curbing U.S. gun violence than just reinstating a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

A working group led by Vice President Joseph Biden is seriously considering measures that would require universal background checks for gun buyers and track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, the newspaper said.

The measures would also strengthen mental health checks and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the Post said. The approach is backed by law enforcement leaders, it said.

President Barack Obama assigned Biden the job of designing the strategy after the massacre at a Newtown, Connecticut, elementary school last month that killed 20 children and six adults.

To sell such changes, the White House is developing strategies to work around the National Rifle Association (NRA), the powerful gun lobby.

They include rallying support from Wal-Mart Stores Inc and other gun retailers for measures that would benefit their businesses, the Post said.

The only measures I agree with I bolded and underlined. Anything else is just stupid crap that really does nothing.

notorious 01-06-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 9288165)
The only measures I agree with I bolded and underlined. Anything else is just stupid crap that really does nothing.

Pretty much.

The rest is just political showboating. They know god damn well the other garbage being put out there will do ZERO good.

Bwana 01-06-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9288164)
So I'd have to report guns that I've had for 40 years for their database? Don't think so

Exactly, won't happen.

rockymtnchief 01-06-2013 01:20 PM

I was actually surprised to find that quite a few states don't submit the mentally ill into the background database. IIRC, 19 states don't. Seung-Hui Cho was declared mentally ill before he bought his guns and went on his spree.

notorious 01-06-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9288210)
Exactly, won't happen.

Hell, let them have their "feel good" moment as long as they don't screw with anything else.


They can require new rifles to be tagged and registered along with any guns sold at a gun show.

notorious 01-06-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9288267)
I was actually surprised to find that quite a few states don't submit the mentally ill into the background database. IIRC, 19 states don't. Seung-Hui Cho was declared mentally ill before he bought his guns and went on his spree.

JFC

Unbelieably stupid. (Not you, the part about Cho)

notorious 01-06-2013 01:23 PM

I can see this coming, though:

The dumbasses will try to make it a full ban along with adding the database system , it will get rejected, and the dumbasses along with the media will yell,"THEY ARE AGAINST BASIC BACKGROUND CHECKS1!!!"


Moron sheep in the public will eat it up, too.

Pin Head 01-06-2013 01:35 PM

In many jurisdictions you need a doctors note to be abe to purchase a gun legally. As goverment takes over healthcare Doctors will become an extension of the long arm of the government, or who can and cannot own a firearm until the liberty is suppressed.

There won't be any standoffs like Waco, the government learned from that.

notorious 01-06-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9288323)
In many jurisdictions you need a doctors note to be abe to purchase a gun legally. As goverment takes over healthcare Doctors will become an extension of the long arm of the government, or who can and cannot own a firearm until the liberty is suppressed.

There won't be any standoffs like Waco, the government learned from that.

I remember hearing that a couple year ago when they forced Obamacare through.


When/if it comes to that, this country will be completely fractured. We are not like Europe.

KChiefer 01-06-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9288323)
In many jurisdictions you need a doctors note to be abe to purchase a gun legally. As goverment takes over healthcare Doctors will become an extension of the long arm of the government, or who can and cannot own a firearm until the liberty is suppressed.

There won't be any standoffs like Waco, the government learned from that.

Bringing up Wacko is precisely the wrong thing gun-rights people should be doing.

Pin Head 01-06-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9288334)
I remember hearing that a couple year ago when they forced Obamacare through.


When/if it comes to that, this country will be completely fractured. We are not like Europe.

No fears, as people begin to realize how absolutely inept and inefficient the government is when it comes to healthcare, it will end. This country is like no other in that regard, we have the best available, and we use it, when that starts to fail, we will demand a return to it.

The English are a bunch kneelers. They actually let their government disarm them quietly. But this is still America and we weren't brought up that way.

Comrade Crapski 01-06-2013 02:12 PM

http://myfox8.com/2013/01/06/ga-mom-...aves-children/


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.