ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Going to need Reaper16/NewChief to confirm... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297363)

Bowser 01-09-2016 11:11 AM

Going to need Reaper16/NewChief to confirm...

Is this list accurate, or is this person a hack?

http://imgur.com/gallery/A7VrG

Flood my brain with knowledge

NewChief 01-09-2016 11:47 AM

I've heard of all off those except Virtuosic.

I've also never seen Djent called Djent/Progressive.

GloucesterChief 01-09-2016 11:57 AM

Industrial had dark themes long before the 2000s. NIN is the premier industrial band and Trent's music has always tended towards the dark.

Third Eye 01-09-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12008805)
Industrial had dark themes long before the 2000s. NIN is the premier industrial band and Trent's music has always tended towards the dark.

I think most industrial fans laugh when people call NIN industrial, but regardless, your point stands about the genre having embraced dark themes since its inception.

EDIT: Fir the record, I love NIN, but they've always been Industrial Lite.

Frosty 01-09-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Industrial had dark themes long before the 2000s.

Because Skinny Puppy was so cheery. :shake:

QuikSsurfer 01-09-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Skinny Puppy?
Pigface?

Bowser 01-09-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12008786)

What's your take on some of the bands listed? Favorites?

Sadly, I'm more of a mainstream music fan than I would like to admit. About as far out as I get so far has been bands like Within Temptation and Otep, and even then I don't have catalogues memorized or anything...

GloucesterChief 01-09-2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 12009251)
Skinny Puppy?
Pigface?

I was pointing out that Industrial has always had dark themes. It wasn't something that just came up in the 2000s.

GloucesterChief 01-09-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12009328)
What's your take on some of the bands listed? Favorites?

Sadly, I'm more of a mainstream music fan than I would like to admit. About as far out as I get so far has been bands like Within Temptation and Otep, and even then I don't have catalogues memorized or anything...

They are missing some real heavyweights in the categories particularly Power Metal. Missing Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween, and Iron Savior for Power Metal.

I would probably throw Ghost into the symphonic metal category but they usually span several categories.

Swanman 01-11-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12009368)
I was pointing out that Industrial has always had dark themes. It wasn't something that just came up in the 2000s.

Fear Factory and Ministry were doing it long before the 90s. Rammstein borrows heavily from Industrial.

Swanman 01-11-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12009398)
They are missing some real heavyweights in the categories particularly Power Metal. Missing Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween, and Iron Savior for Power Metal.

I would probably throw Ghost into the symphonic metal category but they usually span several categories.

Sabaton is in its own subgenre I like to call War Metal. They are like the Gordon Lightfoot of metal singing about WWII.

When I think symphonic metal, I think of the female-led bands like Nightwish, Epica, Delain, etc. Ghost does reach some very high notes though. I will be seeing them in May at Rock on the Range.

Swanman 01-11-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12008786)

Bands like Meshuggah don't seem necessarily progressive. However, a band like Periphery does sound more progressive to me.

Swanman 01-11-2016 11:52 PM

My favorite on there is probably MeloDeath at this point. In Flames has to be in there. Children of Bodom doesn't seem to fit that well because they don't really use clean vocals much, although they are very good. I really like Scar Symmetry. Their vocalist is in a band called Solution .45 that I like a lot right now. I didn't go through the list in total but seemed to be missing Soilwork, another great melodeath band out of Sweden.

GloucesterChief 01-11-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 12020638)
Sabaton is in its own subgenre I like to call War Metal. They are like the Gordon Lightfoot of metal singing about WWII.

Maiden has been singing about war since Run for the Hills. They are a power metal band that just replaces the fantastical with the historical. Just like Iron Savior and Gamma Ray lean toward the Sci-Fi.

Quote:

When I think symphonic metal, I think of the female-led bands like Nightwish, Epica, Delain, etc. Ghost does reach some very high notes though. I will be seeing them in May at Rock on the Range.
It is more their arrangements. Like I said, it is hard to pin down their style since they change it up quite a bit.

Third Eye 01-12-2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 12020632)
Fear Factory and Ministry were doing it long before the 90s. Rammstein borrows heavily from Industrial.

Fear Factory didn't exist before the '90s and the certainly weren't remotely industrial. Ministry borrowed from industrial and were proginators of the industrial metal scene, but again, not really industrial. Throbbing Gristle was industrial. Caberet Voltaire was industrial. Einsturzende Neubauten were industrial. All great bands, though hard to listen to at times.