ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:45 PM

Escape from Snyder puts OSU up 3-2 with 14 second RT advantage.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:46 PM

Cox is wrestling too slow. Ugh!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:47 PM

Cox is down 1 with six seconds left.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:47 PM

****!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:47 PM

Because Mizzou. Because ****ing Mizzou. They will never, ever win anything in anything.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:48 PM

**** Ohio State...

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:50 PM

I guess Kim Anderson showed up to watch, only him being in the building could bring these results to MIZZOU....

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:55 PM

Failing in situations like this has become so persistent and emblematic of Missouri athletics that it's nearly impossible to have hope that it won't happen.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395609)
Failing in situations like this has become so persistent and emblematic of Missouri athletics that it's nearly impossible to have hope that it won't happen.

Well said... It's just ridiculous at this point. And schools like The ****ing Ohio State ****s can't seem to lose!

NewChief 03-20-2015 09:11 PM

Caught last two matches. I wish I would have realized this was on. I've been drinking and talking to my wife instead.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11395627)
Caught last two matches. I wish I would have realized this was on. I've been drinking and talking to my wife instead.

MIZZOU Mizzou'd....

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-20-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395440)
Alan Waters going undefeated through his senior season and losing in the national semis is about the most Mizzou thing ever.

He's always underperformed at nationals

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-20-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 11395445)
Also moving into 2nd place and then getting a guy DQ'd to lose all his points.

Kim Anderson will handle the punishment. What a dumbass Eblen is.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-20-2015 11:37 PM

Kyle Snyder wrestled a pathetic match after the initial takedown. He should have been dinged for stalling on multiple occasions. However, I do get some satisfaction knowing that GloryDayz-- the worthless racist **** that he is-- had a bad viewing experience.

Overall, Im just glad Minnesota had a historic choke job while Iowa goes another year without a title. tOSU is going to be great for awhile. Looking forward to PSU reloading next year to challenge them.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 12:23 AM

If Cox and Waters would have won, Missouri would be in first place with three finalists when no other team had more than two. Instead, they have one. Even with Eblen's DQ, those losses were the tournament.

Really sucks that Cox won't have a chance to be a four-time NCAA Champ, either.

Pepe Silvia 03-21-2015 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395609)

****ing disheartening. I was truly happy for these guys and was hoping and praying that they can snap this damn curse but the Mizzou curse is far too strong and once again they reminded me why I can never have faith in them. :(

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 10:03 AM

Cox just lost again to McIntyre from Penn State with a takedown in the last five seconds of the match.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, Mizzou drops out of contention after this year. This was the year they needed to put it all together. They do have some good talent around the room in Cox, Lavallee, Mayes and Miklus for the next 2-3 years. I'm interested to see Daniel Lewis enter the lineup next year at 165 and they have a freshman coming in that I like named Jaydin Clayton. Next year:

125- McGhee
133- Synon/Manley
141- Clayton/Crane
149- Mayes
157- Lavallee
165- Lewis
174- T. Miklus OR Johnston OR D. Wisman
184- Johnston OR W. Miklus
197- W. Miklus OR Cox
Hwt- Cox OR ???

rico 03-21-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395457)
Houdashelt won his match comfortably.

I have a question for the knowledgeable wrestling posters:

It seems like Missouri is eking out of a bunch of close wins, and their dominant wrestlers are only barely winning point-wise, even thought they dominate most of the match.

Do they normally wrestle a conservative style as a team? It seems like it cost them a lot of potential points.

The perception of Mizzou wrestlers seems to vary from fan base to fan base. The fan base I am exposed to/around most often is the Iowa fan base. I am kind of neutral about Iowa Hawkeye wrestling and have been, pretty much since the early 2000's, when a bunch of the friends I made through wrestling kind of scattered, in terms of where they wrestled...not to mention, the college I wrestled for, although not D1, met up with Iowa 3 times per year...and my brother who graduated high school in 2003, wrestled D1 for an in-state University (UNI), so I kind of developed an affinity for them. Iowa seemed to end up with all the guys I considered to be dickheads on a personal level. They've had guys wrestle for them in the past 15 years who are very cool on a personal level...It's difficult to think of nicer, better people than guys like Daniel Ereckson, Derek St. John, Ryan Morningstar (regardless of how frustrated Iowa fans were of his style, he is a nice and GOOD person), etc. My God though, Iowa in the past 15 years (and probably much longer) has had some guys who make you cringe when you see them out at the ped mall or in any social atmosphere...they tend to be wrestling robots that are programmed to start fights after they've had a mere sip of alcohol. I can't count the number of times I've had to break up, mediate, hear about, etc. fights involving various Iowa wrestlers and my friends. A lot of college wrestling teams have these types of guys, to some extent...I've been around a ton of different wrestler groups. However, Iowa, for whatever reason has always had the biggest assholes that I've personally interacted with. The fan base is not much different.

Back to your question, I interact with Hawkeye wrestling fans all of the time. Hawkeye fans have been adamant since Mizzou beat Iowa in the National Dual finals a few weeks ago, that the entire Mizzou team consists of nothing, but stallers and/or defensive wrestlers. I personally feel that the Iowa fan base was being excessively whiney after that dual. Do I think Mizzou had some wrestlers/moments in that particular dual where the Mizzou wrestlers were stallish? Sure. Do I think Iowa had those same moments? You betcha. Iowa has some stalling, defensive motor scooters in their lineup. I don't think either team consists entirely of stallish, defensive, or offensive wrestlers. I think with both lineups, it just kind of varies from wrestler to wrestler. Both teams, in this year's NCAA tournament haven't exactly squeezed an abundance of bonus points from their wrestlers, generally speaking...which at this point, with the way OSU has performed (ugh), I don't know if it would have made much of a difference, but it obviously wouldn't have hurt to have scored those bonus points...which are generally racked up by the wrestlers being offensive and dominant due to their offense.

Following the Mizzou vs. Iowa dual, the Iowa fans complained about the Mizzou wrestlers stalling, to the point where it caught the attention of MU wrestling legend, Ben Askren...and he responded to them via video rant. It is pretty entertaining and I agree with him. I mentioned in an earlier post that Askren was a wrestling celebrity guest at the Iowa Grade School State tournament a couple years ago and my youngest 2 brothers who wrestled in the tournament, met him and now idolize him because of how cool and funny of a person they thought he was... Here is the rant video:

<iframe title="Askren Blasts Iowa Style" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.flowrestling.org/embed/Nzk0NzYyMDgz?related=1&autoplay=false" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe><p><a href="http://www.flowrestling.org/video/762083-Askren-Blasts-Iowa-Style">Watch more videos on FloWrestling</a></p>

If that video doesn't embed properly, here is the link: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/76...sts-Iowa-Style

rico 03-21-2015 03:17 PM

I'm really pulling for this Zeke Moisey kid at 125... Man, what a story he has been.

rico 03-21-2015 03:30 PM

Zeke Moisey....seriously...this kid has just been relentless...fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/1oy8J-npi9I

Can't embed from my phone... It's his semis match vs Gilman.

rico 03-21-2015 06:09 PM

Starting out with Houdashelt vs. Habat....

rico 03-21-2015 06:19 PM

Houdashelt will be awarded a stalling point if Habat keeps backing up like he is.

rico 03-21-2015 06:25 PM

Nice counter for the win and national title for Houdashelt. Congrats Mizzou fans!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396619)
Nice counter for the win and national title for Houdashelt. Congrats Mizzou fans!

Could you explain why that gets counted as a TD. Again, I'm a total n00b. It looked like he just blocked Habat's attempt to shoot his legs and circled around to his back.

Did he do something that I'm not sophisticated enough to pick up there?

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 06:31 PM

I just saw a Vine which made it clearer. He blocked, threw Habat down, then got on his back.

rico 03-21-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396621)
Could you explain why that gets counted as a TD. Again, I'm a total n00b. It looked like he just blocked Habat's attempt to shoot his legs and circled around to his back.

Did he do something that I'm not sophisticated enough to pick up there?

It's all good. Gotta start somewhere.

Houdashelt and Habat were on their feet, also known as the neutral position. Habat took an offensive shot to Houdashelt's legs, in which Houdashelt brilliantly and quickly countered and spun around Habat, brought him down to the mat and covered his hips...Habat being technically considered "down" on the mat was decided by his supporting parts being down on the mat, which means his weight was being supported by these parts. The supporting parts are generally the hands, elbows, feet, hips and knees.

rico 03-21-2015 07:00 PM

I'd love it if Martinez bumped up a weight next year and we got to see a Martinez vs. Dieringer match.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:00 PM

Great wrestler, but I still hate OSU..

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:09 PM

See, they're already talking about riding time. God I hate riding...

Riding:
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6079...892490&pid=1.7

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:21 PM

A terrible way to win...

Sorry!

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:22 PM

And if they review, the down wrestler was moving early!

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:26 PM

Like many things PSU, a tainted victory...

rico 03-21-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11396687)
A terrible way to win...

Sorry!

This.

Unbelievable.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:40 PM

Nice try...

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:43 PM

It was nice to see a match that was finally about the wrestlers...

Oh, and my son wrestled with/for Mike Hagerty (the official in that last match) locally on the off season at MoWest... The man is awesome...

rico 03-21-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11396710)
It was nice to see a match that was finally about the wrestlers...

Oh, and my son wrestled with/for Mike Hagerty (the official in that last match) locally on the off season at MoWest... The man is awesome...

That is pretty cool, dude.

Dake's interview was pretty funny. He was having a difficult time hiding how annoyed he was to be interviewed as that match unraveled. LMAO

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 07:56 PM

OSU has a very loose singlet..

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 08:00 PM

Nice work, Gadson. Eat shit, Snyder, you Luckeye ****.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:00 PM

Wow ****ing WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S a move........

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:02 PM

Quote of the tournament....

"I just want some Ice Cream"!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rico 03-21-2015 08:08 PM

That was good shit.

My dad wrestled in the same era as his dad...the mid 70's. Said he was a really good guy.

Awesome stuff.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 08:10 PM

rico,

What are the chances that Cox would have success at HWT next year? How much weight would he need to put on? Should he just try to stay at 197?

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:15 PM

The mentioned how this weight had changed, and that sooooo true. I wrestled in the 80s, and there's simply no comparison. HWT is the most transformed part of wrestling in a 100 years.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:17 PM

Nice win...

rico 03-21-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396751)
rico,

What are the chances that Cox would have success at HWT next year? How much weight would he need to put on? Should he just try to stay at 197?

I had a parent of a big 197 recruit who is considering MU, but hasn't signed anywhere yet, ask me the same thing about Cox a couple days ago. My answer to him was that he would have to gain more than he is probably capable of in order to be nearly as competitive as he is at 197. The thing about these HWT's is that the maximum weight is 285 lbs...and the majority of your dominant heavyweights cut some weight to get down to 285. So basically, there is a jump in weight in the heaviest 2 weights from 197 to 285...which I've always thought was pretty silly. I've always thought there should be a 220-230 lb range weight. Heck, in HS it goes 182, 195, 220, 285... And Cox is a very big 197...probably has to cut a pretty decent amount of weight himself...I think he won it at 220 his Senior season. He's probably in kind of a crappy "tweener" situation with his weight.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:36 PM

I hope a meteor hits OSU's campus!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396769)
I had a parent of a big 197 recruit who is considering MU, but hasn't signed anywhere yet, ask me the same thing about Cox a couple days ago. My answer to him was that he would have to gain more than he is probably capable of in order to be nearly as competitive as he is at 197. The thing about these HWT's is that the maximum weight is 285 lbs...and the majority of your dominant heavyweights cut some weight to get down to 285. So basically, there is a jump in weight in the heaviest 2 weights from 197 to 285...which I've always thought was pretty silly. I've always thought there should be a 220-230 lb range weight. Heck, in HS it goes 182, 195, 220, 285... And Cox is a very big 197...probably has to cut a pretty decent amount of weight himself...I think he won it at 220 his Senior season. He's probably in kind of a crappy "tweener" situation with his weight.

This just isn't true. Look at the AAs and you won't find a full heavy. Many of the top 285s wrestled 220 in HS... guys like Coon, Medberry, Walz, Marsden, Gwiz, etc. Telford is probably the biggest and he is maybe 270. Lawson is maybe 260 and McMullan may weigh as little as 235. Tony Nelson is another former 220 who won a couple of national titles who wrestled well under the limit.

Cox has wrestled a little 285 this year and he would easily be a top 3 guy at that weight. If his normal weight is 215 right now, he could be 240-245 by next season. Look at how Blaize Cabell has used his athleticism to thrive at Heavyweight despite his size. He was a marginal wrestler at 184 and now he is a top 15 guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396769)

What happened to him in this tournament? Did he just have a bad 24 hour period, or did it reveal some weaknesses in his style?

Is he big enough that he could struggle at 197 because he is weight drained?

rico 03-21-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396786)
This just isn't true. Look at the AAs and you won't find a full heavy. Many of the top 285s wrestled 220 in HS... guys like Coon, Medberry, Walz, Marsden, Gwiz, etc. Telford is probably the biggest and he is maybe 270. Lawson is maybe 260 and McMullan may weigh as little as 235. Tony Nelson is another guy who won a couple of national titles who wrestled well under the limit.

Cox has wrestled a little 285 this year and he would easily be a top 3 guy at that weight. If his normal weight is 215 right now, he could easily be 240-245 by next season. Look at how Blaize Cabell has used his athleticism to thrive at Heavyweight despite his size. He was a marginal wrestler at 184 and now he is a top 15 guy.

Do you think Cox would be as competitive at HWT as he would 197? That was my main thing...I just am skeptical that he would be as competitive at HWT as he is at 197, but you know J'Den better than I do...so I'd feel silly arguing with you about it. Do you think they should add a 220 lb class?

Cabell is a good example...man was he ever a beast in HS...both in terms of physical appearance and being a total beast of a wrestler.

rico 03-21-2015 08:46 PM

Zeke Moisey is a breath of fresh air...just fearless.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:49 PM

#13 is putting on a clinic so far..

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396788)
What happened to him in this tournament? Did he just have a bad 24 hour period, or did it reveal some weaknesses in his style?

197 was just stacked at the top. You could wrestle this weight next week and you'd get different results. McIntosh is a former #1 overall recruit and Snyder was as well. Snyder is a Junior World Champion and that means something because the US is only like the 4th or 5th best wrestling country. I think he should move up to 285 because I don't think Miklus can continue to make 184. Plus they don't have many options with Mellon graduating.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 08:52 PM

Nice.........................

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396791)
Do you think Cox would be as competitive at HWT as he would 197? That was my main thing...I just am skeptical that he would be as competitive at HWT as he is at 197, but you know J'Den better than I do...so I'd feel silly arguing with you about it. Do you think they should add a 220 lb class?

Cabell is a good example...man was he ever a beast in HS...both in terms of physical appearance and being a total beast of a wrestler.

Cabell is scary as ****.

Cox is just too strong and athletic to not be great at 285. He already wrestles at a slow pace, so I'm confident that he knows how to pick and choose his scoring opportunities. He's not just going to get himself caught underneath big dudes all the time.

There is some risk, I guess, since he's a guaranteed top 3 guy at 197 next year... But I think he'd be fine. He used to beat Coon in HS.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 08:55 PM

Brewer is from Missouri. Would have filled in nicely for the Tigers at 133

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396799)
197 was just stacked at the top. You could wrestle this weight next week and you'd get different results. McIntosh is a former #1 overall recruit and Snyder was as well. Snyder is a Junior World Champion and that means something because the US is only like the 4th or 5th best wrestling country. I think he should move up to 285 because I don't think Miklus can continue to make 184. Plus they don't have many options with Mellon graduating.

I'm guessing that, based on Missouri's inability to offer full scholarships, they develop overlooked wrestlers rather than pick elite ones.

Is that true? How has Smith built up the program?

How long will it be before they have another team that can compete at nationals?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 08:58 PM

Tomasello would make a great lesbian

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396816)
Tomasello would make a great lesbian

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 09:04 PM

Port gets injured against Steiber.
Cox gets his eye poked against Snyder
Moisey gets his knee wrenched against Tomasello

I'm noticing a pattern.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:04 PM

Again, **** OSU....

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396829)
Port gets injured against Steiber.
Cox gets his eye poked against Snyder
Moisey gets his knee wrenched against Tomasello

I'm noticing a pattern.

Next year people will wrestle them the same way.

rico 03-21-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396788)

I think Rudy's response is probably pretty spot on.

The one question I have is about his weight....since he was at 220 in high school, I just assume that Cox does cut some weight...however, I am unaware of how much he actually weighed when he was at 220. Some guys handle weight cutting better than others... And weight cutting, even at the college level can become increasingly more and more difficult with each passing year for some kids. I'm not for certain if this is a factor for Cox, but it could be. I know I didn't handle it well... I came in to college as a projected 157 lber...continued to grow and cut my butt off to make 174 lbs my first two seasons...by the time I was a Junior, I felt like I was dying trying to make 184. Weight is likely a detrimental factor for many of these guys...

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:09 PM

**** OSU!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396836)
I think Rudy's response is probably pretty spot on.

The one question I have is about his weight....since he was at 220 in high school, I just assume that Cox does cut some weight...however, I am unaware of how much he actually weighed when he was at 220. Some guys handle weight cutting better than others... And weight cutting, even at the college level can become increasingly more and more difficult with each passing year for some kids. I'm not for certain if this is a factor for Cox, but it could be. I know I didn't handle it well... I came in to college as a projected 157 lber...continued to grow and cut my butt off to make 174 lbs my first two seasons...by the time I was a Junior, I felt like I was dying trying to make 184. Weight is likely a detrimental factor for many of these guys...

Cox went 171, 215, 220, and HWT in high school. So who knows what he was walking around at two years ago.

GloryDayz 03-21-2015 09:10 PM

Changing channel. This is dumb! **** OSU...

rico 03-21-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396843)
Cox went 171, 215, 220, and HWT in high school. So who knows what he was walking around at two years ago.

Oh shit, I didn't realize he was HWT.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396814)
I'm guessing that, based on Missouri's inability to offer full scholarships, they develop overlooked wrestlers rather than pick elite ones.

Is that true? How has Smith built up the program?

How long will it be before they have another team that can compete at nationals?

Pretty much true. They recruit the state well and Missouri HS wrestlers have shown they can hang at the collegiate level. Cox was an elite recruit. Their problem is they are competing with Iowa and Okie St., who have great history in the sport, and Penn State and Ohio State, who are in the hot bed of HS wrestling and have monster recruiters as coaches. Mizzou's best chance is to continue getting state talent and making progress in the state of Illinois-- which has fantastic HS wrestling. Mizzou can develop with the best of them.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of team parity in D1 wrestling. The top programs know how to stay on top. I can't see Mizzou having a legit shot anytime soon. Iowa, PSU, Okie St. and tOSU are set up so nicely for the future. But with Cox, Miklus, Lavallee, Lewis, and Mayes, I definitely see more top 5-10 finishes.

rico 03-21-2015 09:17 PM

And he (Cox) is a Psych major...I wish I had the opportunity to let him know how much of a mistake that is. :banghead:

rico 03-21-2015 09:19 PM

I wonder what team will end up landing Spencer Lee in a couple years...

rico 03-21-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396866)
Pretty much true. They recruit the state well and Missouri HS wrestlers have shown they can hang at the collegiate level. Cox was an elite recruit. Their problem is they are competing with Iowa and Okie St., who have great history in the sport, and Penn State and Ohio State, who are in the hot bed of HS wrestling and have monster recruiters as coaches. Mizzou's best chance is to continue getting state talent and making progress in the state of Illinois-- which has fantastic HS wrestling. Mizzou can develop with the best of them.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of team parity in D1 wrestling. The top programs know how to stay on top. I can't see Mizzou having a legit shot anytime soon. Iowa, PSU, Okie St. and tOSU are set up so nicely for the future. But with Cox, Miklus, Lavallee, Lewis, and Mayes, I definitely see more top 5-10 finishes.

What does their recruiting class look like so far this year?

Look up Steven Holloway. He will be 197 in college. If J'Den does end up going up to HWT, he'd be a nice, somewhat local (SEI) kid to fill in. :D

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396883)
What does their recruiting class look like so far this year?

Look up Steven Holloway. He will be 197 in college. If J'Den does end up going up to HWT, he'd be a nice, somewhat local (SEI) kid to fill in. :D

Pretty standard class. They have a few solid guys in state and a mid-level recruits from North Carolina and Virginia. Jaydin Clayton just beat a top 20 recruit who is going to Oklahoma State and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at 141 next year with Mayes likely taking Houdashelt's spot.

Holloway seems like he would be a good get. They do have a verbal from 2016Ethan Anderson, but Im guessing he is a heavyweight. What's his frame like?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396873)
I wonder what team will end up landing Spencer Lee in a couple years...

Dude is such a beast. There's a reason PSU hasn't been recruiting a 125 pounder. Hope it doesn't backfire on them.

rico 03-21-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396897)
Pretty standard class. They have a few solid guys in state and a mid-level recruits from North Carolina and Virginia. Jaydin Clayton just beat a top 20 recruit who is going to Oklahoma State and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at 141 next year with Mayes likely taking Houdashelt's spot.

Holloway seems like he would be a good get. They do have a verbal from 2016Ethan Anderson, but Im guessing he is a heavyweight. What's his frame like?

On the podcasts/radio stuff I did to cover our wrestling, I coined him "Hercules Holloway." Built like a Greek God. Google him.

MU needs to use the Miklus bros as sources to land some of these Southeast Polk kids...my God that team has some studs.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396867)
And he (Cox) is a Psych major...I wish I had the opportunity to let him know how much of a mistake that is. :banghead:

He actually wants to be a creative writing teacher for deaf students. He lost all of the hearing in his left ear this year.

rico 03-21-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11396914)
He actually wants to be a creative writing teacher for deaf students. He lost all of the hearing in his left ear this year.

Nice! That's pretty admirable. Sounds like a great kid!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:51 PM

Ok, So after some research it appears that Cox weighed in at 95.8 KG in a FS tournament last spring (about 211 pounds). Weight limit was 97kg so he made it comfortably.

Some notable weights of National qualifier Heavies in various tournaments last spring

Marsden (OSU)- 262
Coon (Mich)- 261
Jensen (Nebraska)- 250
Cabell (UNI)- 222
Dejournette (App st)- 252
Medberry (Wisc)- 253
Mellon (Mizzou) -250
Stolfi (Bucknell)- 244
Tavanello (tOSU)- 250
Vollaro (Lehigh)- 269
Walz (VTech)- 250
Kettler (George Mason)- cut to 275
Deul (Binghamton)- 258
Gwiazdowski (NCState)- 260
Kroells (Minn)- 248
Black (ILL)- 263
Ryan (Colombia)- 254

Id say of all the Heavies, Kroells has the biggest problem with being oversized. He still placed 8th though. Seems like the magic number for Cox would be to get to 245. Not sure if he could get there or maintain it, but I like his chances even if a bit undersized. He could be like Kerry McCoy (yeah yeah comparison because he's black)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-21-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11396909)
On the podcasts/radio stuff I did to cover our wrestling, I coined him "Hercules Holloway." Built like a Greek God. Google him.

MU needs to use the Miklus bros as sources to land some of these Southeast Polk kids...my God that team has some studs.

It appears that they are with Andersen. I'm not too familiar with him though.

rico 03-21-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396932)
It appears that they are with Andersen. I'm not too familiar with him though.

Anderson and Marnin were freaking studs this year. Andersen really stood out. Nice dude, too...almost too nice. Type of dude who would offer a hand to lift his guy up and pay him on the back after wrassle-raping him.

rico 03-21-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11396930)
Ok, So after some research it appears that Cox weighed in at 95.8 KG in a FS tournament last spring (about 211 pounds). Weight limit was 97kg so he made it comfortably.

Some notable weights of National qualifier Heavies in various tournaments last spring

Marsden (OSU)- 262
Coon (Mich)- 261
Jensen (Nebraska)- 250
Cabell (UNI)- 222
Dejournette (App st)- 252
Medberry (Wisc)- 253
Mellon (Mizzou) -250
Stolfi (Bucknell)- 244
Tavanello (tOSU)- 250
Vollaro (Lehigh)- 269
Walz (VTech)- 250
Kettler (George Mason)- cut to 275
Deul (Binghamton)- 258
Gwiazdowski (NCState)- 260
Kroells (Minn)- 248
Black (ILL)- 263
Ryan (Colombia)- 254

Id say of all the Heavies, Kroells has the biggest problem with being oversized. He still placed 8th though. Seems like the magic number for Cox would be to get to 245. Not sure if he could get there or maintain it, but I like his chances even if a bit undersized. He could be like Kerry McCoy (yeah yeah comparison because he's black)

I stand corrected on my thinking earlier... That is some interesting stuff. I think J'Den would do just fine at HWT.