ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Hunger Games teaser (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249172)

DaFace 03-24-2012 10:52 PM

The wife dragged me along to this last night. Overall, I thought it was mildly interesting, but it dragged on FOREVER towards the end, and I just couldn't get over the overall premise. I'm sure the books are great, but in movie form, it was pretty bland.

jspchief 03-25-2012 05:49 AM

I just can't get into media with female protagonists, whether it be books, tv, whatever. I suppose that's some kind of indication that I'm a male chauvinist.

Maybe its at least partly because in real life, these type of women are more likely to be dikes that resemble Patton Oswalt than sexpots like Jennifer Lawrence.

Deberg_1990 03-25-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8490343)
I just can't get into media with female protagonists, whether it be books, tv, whatever. I suppose that's some kind of indication that I'm a male chauvinist.

Maybe its at least partly because in real life, these type of women are more likely to be dikes that resemble Patton Oswalt than sexpots like Jennifer Lawrence.

Didn't like the Alien series then? There have been lots of strong heroines in movies.

KurtCobain 03-25-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8490118)
I loved the books. I didn't think the movie was disappointing at all. Sure there are parts left out but for the most part they stayed true to the books. Even parts I didn't expect.

****ing this! They started very true. I just can't get over the exclusion of Madge. I mean, that's who started the whole ****ing mockingjay thing! And I was really ready to see haymitch fall of the reaping stage, and they left him out of that part! You don't get the hate for him in the beginning in the movie like you do in the book.

Pablo 03-25-2012 10:29 AM

I haven't read the books. Probably never will. I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It was engaging with some emotional scenes and an easy to follow, interesting story-line. I don't think it quite lived up to the hype; but I wouldn't discourage anyone from going to see it.

It's a pretty good film.

DBOSHO 03-25-2012 10:46 AM

I really liked it

and jennifer lawrence is stunning.

QuikSsurfer 03-25-2012 10:50 AM

Saw this last night and I agree even more with my initial comment about similarities between it and Battle Royale.
Overall I was pretty underwhelmed.. It was interesting but really drug on towards the end. I doubt I'll see the others as my lady friend, who is obsessed with the book, also came away disappointed.

alnorth 03-26-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8490343)

Well, except in this movie the lead didn't act like some solid, strong, male-like character.

alnorth 03-26-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8487343)
My guess is around 120 million.

Looks like its going to end up at 155 million US, 214 worldwide.

Munson 03-26-2012 03:28 PM

I read the book a couple days ago just to see what all the hype was about, and decided to go see it today.

Obviously, there are more detailed parts in the book that were left out for the movie. But I thought that Jennifer Lawrence played the part pretty well. And by the way, she is smoking hot!PBJ

It's a 2 1/2 hour movie, but it didn't seem like it to me. Overall, I'd say its worth seeing.

DaFace 03-26-2012 04:02 PM

I went to see it with my wife on Friday. She's a huge fan of the books, though I'd never read any of them. I think the books must've added a lot of detail (obviously) that wasn't in the movie, because she thought it was awesome and I thought it was fairly "meh."

It was well-done for sure, but I had trouble buying into the overall premise in the first place, which was a lot of the issue. Apparently it's explained much better in the books. Also, my perception was that, while the whole drama of the Games was certainly compelling, it was just another year where a bunch of kids die. Apparently Katniss's actions were more significant to society as a whole, which I didn't really get.

Anyway, it's not a bad flick, but I think I'll read the books before I watch it again.

luv 03-26-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8494882)
I went to see it with my wife on Friday. She's a huge fan of the books, though I'd never read any of them. I think the books must've added a lot of detail (obviously) that wasn't in the movie, because she thought it was awesome and I thought it was fairly "meh."

It was well-done for sure, but I had trouble buying into the overall premise in the first place, which was a lot of the issue. Apparently it's explained much better in the books. Also, my perception was that, while the whole drama of the Games was certainly compelling, it was just another year where a bunch of kids die. Apparently Katniss's actions were more significant to society as a whole, which I didn't really get.

Anyway, it's not a bad flick, but I think I'll read the books before I watch it again.

The books definitely go into a lot more detail on the political aspect, and it also gets much further into it in the second book. IMO, each book got progressively better, so I'm looking forward to what they do with the next movie. The parts with the president tried to give you an idea, as well as Haymitch telling Katniss how serious it was and how she had to make the love story between her and Peta (sp?) believable.

I'm with Joey in that they made Haymitch much more likable in the movie.

Shag 03-26-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8494929)
The books definitely go into a lot more detail on the political aspect, and it also gets much further into it in the second book. IMO, each book got progressively better, so I'm looking forward to what they do with the next movie. The parts with the president tried to give you an idea, as well as Haymitch telling Katniss how serious it was and how she had to make the love story between her and Peta (sp?) believable.

I'm with Joey in that they made Haymitch much more likable in the movie.

You really thought the books got better? What about the rest of you who have read the books?

I thought the first book was far and away the best, and the last two were big steps down...

1moreTRich 03-26-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 8495006)
You really thought the books got better? What about the rest of you who have read the books?

I thought the first book was far and away the best, and the last two were big steps down...

The first one was my favorite as well, but I enjoyed them all except for some of the third (especially disliked the epilogue).

Spoiler!

KurtCobain 03-26-2012 06:17 PM

Rue should've gotten her bread, too.