ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals DON'T buy WS tickets at current prices (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287549)

Strongside 10-17-2014 08:39 AM

DON'T buy WS tickets at current prices

I have a few friends that deal in the secondary market professionally here in KC. (Not scalpers, technically. These guys have offices and pay taxes.) I've been told by, literally, all of them not to buy until at least Monday. All three that I've called about tickets have told me they have them, but that no one is buying at current prices...even on StubHub. They say that by game day they expect prices to drop dramatically. One even saying he expects SRO to fall to around $250 and then for prices to increase incrementally from there. He basically said people are throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks at this point, and that nothing is sticking.

Again, I went to HS with 2 of these guys, so them not trying to stiff me isn't a surprise...even though it's basically what they do for a secondary income.

If you have the scratch to buy now, go ahead I guess. But if you're on a budget, I wouldn't rule out going to a game just yet.

KC native 10-17-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 11023471)
I have a few friends that deal in the secondary market professionally here in KC. (Not scalpers, technically. These guys have offices and pay taxes.) I've been told by, literally, all of them not to buy until at least Monday. All three that I've called about tickets have told me they have them, but that no one is buying at current prices...even on StubHub. They say that by game day they expect prices to drop dramatically. One even saying he expects SRO to fall to around $250 and then for prices to increase incrementally from there. He basically said people are throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks at this point, and that nothing is sticking.

Again, I went to HS with 2 of these guys, so them not trying to stiff me isn't a surprise...even though it's basically what they do for a secondary income.

If you have the scratch to buy now, go ahead I guess. But if you're on a budget, I wouldn't rule out going to a game just yet.

That's typical of events like this.

KC doesn't get many marquis big events so I imagine quite a few people will buy at the current prices.

DFW gets events that sell out and have huge mark ups like this all the time. The mark ups always fall and are lowest right before the event.

KChiefs1 10-17-2014 08:49 AM

Giants fans will drive up the prices.

Big Poppa Payne 10-17-2014 08:50 AM

If I can get lower level tickets for $500 a ticket or under I'm buying 2 of them.

ChiTown 10-17-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 11023497)
Giants fans will drive up the prices.

Really? You think hordes of Giants fans are going to buy playoff tickets in KC. I doubt it.

KChiefs1 10-17-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 11023501)
Really? You think hordes of Giants fans are going to buy playoff tickets in KC. I doubt it.

They have more disposable income.

Katipan 10-17-2014 08:55 AM

I camped out for Word Series tickets. Bought my 6, the husband bought his 6, and we traded 6 tickets to game 6 for 6 tickets to game 7. There were people wrangling homeless people. Thuggy (as in big bruising bouncer looking guys of every race possible) guys "in charge" of 5-10 homeless people. They'd wait in line to buy their allotment of tickets, and then hand them over to the thug for a 40 of Old E.

Those same thugs were getting rid of the tickets for less than face value for a Game 7 World Series. Which is really funny and sad all at the same time.

I guess I'd suggest a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy as many as you can as quickly as you can because someone else will.

Baby Lee 10-17-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11023484)
That's typical of events like this.

KC doesn't get many marquis big events so I imagine quite a few people will buy at the current prices.

DFW gets events that sell out and have huge mark ups like this all the time. The mark ups always fall and are lowest right before the event.

Marquee. fewer strokes on i&s. concentrate your strokes on a double e.

Saulbadguy 10-17-2014 08:57 AM

3K tickets available on stub hub. Prices will stabilize, but there will be some action at that price for those who can afford it.

alnorth 10-17-2014 08:58 AM

This is what I'm doing, too. I bought game 1 tickets probably way too early about 10 days ago at about $675. After I saw what happened with the ALCS, I started to look into it. My tickets in comparable sections went up to almost $1,000, but tickets as a whole were not selling quickly at all. The day before we won the ALCS there were about 4,000 for game 2, and the day after the number of tickets actually increased.

A few hundred tickets sold right after the Giants won, but they were almost all in the expensive sections for only about an hour (so probably rich Giant fans making plans), and after that 1 or 2 hour flurry, ticket buying stopped again. This morning there are still about the same number of tickets available in the cheap seats as late last night.

So, last night I sold off my game one tickets for a healthy profit (I priced them to sell, made sure they were the cheapest in the section), and I'm planning to buy back into game 2 after the inevitable crash. People are holding on at a level thats just too high, and they'll get nervous Sunday night or Monday morning.

KChiefs1 10-17-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11023513)
This is what I'm doing, too. I bought game 1 tickets probably way too early about 10 days ago at about $675. After I saw what happened with the ALCS, I started to look into it. My tickets in comparable sections went up to almost $1,000, but tickets as a whole were not selling quickly at all. The day before we won the ALCS there were about 4,000, and the day after the number of tickets actually increased.

A few hundred tickets sold right after the Giants won, but they were almost all in the expensive sections for only about an hour (so probably rich Giant fans making plans), and after that 1 or 2 hour flurry, ticket buying stopped again. This morning there are still about the same number of tickets available in the cheap seats as late last night.

So, last night I sold off my game one tickets for a healthy profit, and I'm planning to buy back into game 2 after the inevitable crash. People are holding on at a level thats just too high, and they'll get nervous Sunday night or Monday morning.

I have a friend who has tickets to game 1 & is looking to sell them. Where/How did you sell them?

alnorth 10-17-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 11023515)
I have a friend who has tickets to game 1 & is looking to sell them. Where/How did you sell them?

Stubhub. You do have to pay a 15% seller's fee

Sorter 10-17-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 11023501)

Makes sense to me. They get to watch a World Series game and more importantly, try to catch a glimpse of Alex Smith.

Strongside 10-17-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 11023505)
They have more disposable income.

You kidding!? Average rent in SF is something like 2400 a month. Most of my friends that live there are broke as hell making 6 figures.

CaliforniaChief 10-17-2014 09:51 AM

If people in SF have more disposable income, then why are WS tickets cheaper in San Francisco than they are in Kansas City?