ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

duncan_idaho 08-15-2013 06:53 AM

I can start a new repository today if that's the preference. Seems like any mojo we were worried about slipped between Elliot Johnson's legs yesterday.

Dayton Moore's biggest issue, by far, is his extreme loyalty to bad baseball players and willingness to keep rostering them despite complete proof they are shitty.

Jeff Francoeur
Chris Getz
Ross Gload
Hiram Davies
Luke Hochevar
Horacio Ramirez
etc.

I think the only reason Johnson has survived this long is that he is the only guy on the team who can play SS other than Escobar.

Maybe with Bonifacio, that changes.

I know Bonifacio was terrible with Toronto this year. But he at least has some upside and success in his recent past.

duncan_idaho 08-15-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9886460)
He's not coming up this year, and maybe not even next. Get him surgery, move on.

Back to the MAJOR leagues . . .

If Zimmer doesn't have surgery, there's an excellent chance he's in the Royals rotation at some point next season. Possibly even out of spring training.

Silock 08-15-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9886473)
If Zimmer doesn't have surgery, there's an excellent chance he's in the Royals rotation at some point next season. Possibly even out of spring training.

In whose place?

Shields, Guthrie, Duffy, Chen or Santana (hoping we re-sign him)? Paulino? It's not like we need bullpen help.

C3HIEF3S 08-15-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9886480)
In whose place?

Shields, Guthrie, Duffy, Chen or Santana (hoping we re-sign him)? Paulino? It's not like we need bullpen help.

My guess is Chen.

AndChiefs 08-15-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 9886481)
My guess is Chen.

If he pitches like he has the rest of the year? You go with him out of spring training and let him pitch himself out of the spot.

duncan_idaho 08-15-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9886480)
In whose place?

I wouldn't count on either Chen or Santana being part of the rotation next year. And it's highly possible Zimmer surpasses Duffy early next year.

Also, if you want to contend, you really need at least 7 starters you can go with and feel comfortable. We've seen this in 2013 with Bruce Chen having to step into the rotation.

Prison Bitch 08-15-2013 07:16 AM

Dayton's biggest problem is he can't make trades. he had the crown jewel of about the last 5 years in Zack, and he gets a shitty SS who hits exactly like Berroa & Neifi plus a decent (but totally one dimensional) CF who is always banged up. That's it.

Yeah, that's it. With in-house options that were free. So when he turns around and gets James Shields giving up a legit player in Wil Myers it only proves that he's a clown while Andrew Friedman isn't.

Silock 08-15-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9886483)
I wouldn't count on either Chen or Santana being part of the rotation next year. And it's highly possible Zimmer surpasses Duffy early next year.

Also, if you want to contend, you really need at least 7 starters you can go with and feel comfortable. We've seen this in 2013 with Bruce Chen having to step into the rotation.

Maybe. But I doubt Dayton gives up on Davis in favor of Zimmer, even if Davis moves out of the rotation.

duncan_idaho 08-15-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9886516)
Maybe. But I doubt Dayton gives up on Davis in favor of Zimmer, even if Davis moves out of the rotation.

There's also the fact that if Zimmer has TJ now, he likely isn't back and ready to pitch until midseason 2015 at best. Possibly 2016.

KC's success beyond James Shields' contract relies on at least a few of KC's close-to-MLB starters (Danny Duffy, Will Smith, Yordano Ventura, Kyle Zimmer) being valued members of the rotation by that time.

SP depth for 2014 (assuming no Santana and no Chen)

1) James Shields
2) Jeremy Guthried
3) Danny Duffy
4) Wade Davis
5) Will Smith
6) Yordano Ventura
7) Kyle Zimmer

Considering that Davis, Smitha and Ventura are BIG question marks, Zimmer is important next season.

Silock 08-15-2013 07:56 AM

Well, hopefully, our run shows him and Glass that re-signing him and Santana would be a good business move.

We will come to the park if we have even a SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE team LMAO

duncan_idaho 08-15-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9886528)
Well, hopefully, our run shows him and Glass that re-signing him and Santana would be a good business move.

We will come to the park if we have even a SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE team LMAO

I'm not convinced signing Santana IS a good business move. It's probably going to take the same type of deal Anibal Sanchez received, which means 5 years, $80 million.

That's an incredibly risky deal for KC to commit to, in my opinion, considering the up-and-down nature of Santana's career.

Chen is much less risky. Wouldn't mind seeing them bring him back on a short-term deal, at all.