ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto International phone calls (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273162)

007 05-18-2013 03:12 AM

International phone calls

Just curious, what services should I be looking at for making phone calls from Jamaica if necessary? My cell carrier does not have any service options down there.

CrazyPhuD 05-18-2013 04:27 AM

Can you carry enough string to make the cup and string work? Should be the cheapest option!

But seriously, do the have internet access? Maybe Skype or VOIP is cheaper? Jamaica seems like a place that might be tricky to find decent service.

007 05-18-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9690264)
Can you carry enough string to make the cup and string work? Should be the cheapest option!

But seriously, do the have internet access? Maybe Skype or VOIP is cheaper? Jamaica seems like a place that might be tricky to find decent service.

I've thought about that as wifi is $14 per day. Not sure if it is worth that much or not. The people I would need to be able to reach me don't know how to use skype and I wouldn't be around wifi all day long.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-18-2013 04:44 AM

If you have a smart phone you can get the magic jack app and see if that will work internationally. I don't know that it will, but it's worth a shot. I dumped Sprint and cut my phone bill by about $200 a month by using that app to make 98% of my phone calls.

007 05-18-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9690268)
If you have a smart phone you can get the magic jack app and see if that will work internationally. I don't know that it will, but it's worth a shot. I dumped Sprint and cut my phone bill by about $200 a month by using that app to make 98% of my phone calls.

I'm not lugging my laptop with me so that can't be an option.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-18-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690269)
I'm not lugging my laptop with me so that can't be an option.

So you don't have a smart phone? Because I use the magic jack app from my Galaxy S3.

ChiliConCarnage 05-18-2013 05:04 AM

You should be able to get a prepaid SIM from a local provider.

007 05-18-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9690270)
So you don't have a smart phone? Because I use the magic jack app from my Galaxy S3.

I'm looking for something that doesn't require wifi if I can. I would like to be able to be reached at all times rather than just when I am around wifi.

LoneWolf 05-18-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690274)
I'm looking for something that doesn't require wifi if I can. I would like to be able to be reached at all times rather than just when I am around wifi.

You're going to be on vacation, man. Give the people you want to be able to reach you the number where you're staying. Check for messages a couple times a day and enjoy yourself the rest of the time.

I traveled to Hawaii recently. My wife and I gave our parents the number of the resort we were staying at just in case there was a family emergency and then we both locked our cell phones in the room safe. I checked my work email once a day and relaxed the rest of the time.

bevischief 05-18-2013 05:50 AM

Prepaid phone.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-18-2013 05:52 AM

Midget couriers

007 05-18-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9690277)
You're going to be on vacation, man. Give the people you want to be able to reach you the number where you're staying. Check for messages a couple times a day and enjoy yourself the rest of the time.

I traveled to Hawaii recently. My wife and I gave our parents the number of the resort we were staying at just in case there was a family emergency and then we both locked our cell phones in the room safe. I checked my work email once a day and relaxed the rest of the time.

If it involves an emergency with my kids I prefer to be notified immediately rather than a few hours later.

vailpass 05-18-2013 07:32 AM

ATT&T international calling card. Or rent a cell phone at the airport when you get there.

prhom 05-18-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 9690272)
You should be able to get a prepaid SIM from a local provider.

I second this. It's actually pretty simple to set up an account in foreign countries and will be your cheapest way to call home without doing Skype or FaceTime over wifi. Even then, you probably wouldn't spend more than $14 per day on the phone time unless you really like to talk. Just get a basic unlocked gsm phone to take down there and find a vendor for the SIM once you arrive. Or you can buy the phone there too, but you may pay a little more for it.

007 05-18-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 9690335)
I second this. It's actually pretty simple to set up an account in foreign countries and will be your cheapest way to call home without doing Skype or FaceTime over wifi. Even then, you probably wouldn't spend more than $14 per day on the phone time unless you really like to talk. Just get a basic unlocked gsm phone to take down there and find a vendor for the SIM once you arrive. Or you can buy the phone there too, but you may pay a little more for it.

my phone is already unlocked and is a world phone. I just need to find a sim for it then. Any suggestions that I can buy before my trip?

nstygma 05-18-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690729)
my phone is already unlocked and is a world phone. I just need to find a sim for it then. Any suggestions that I can buy before my trip?

here maybe http://goo.gl/BNbIm

prhom 05-18-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690729)

I've only bought them once I get to a country. They are country specific as far as I know so you probably couldn't get one ahead of time. Just have your taxi driver take you by a mobile phone store ask him what the best coverage is where you will be. Or if its a nice hotel you are staying in the concierge may be able to get one for you.

007 05-18-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9690730)

Quote:

You get 1 Prepaid SIM card with $25JMD or $15JMD and welcome letter with PUK number.
OK which is it? LMAO

007 05-18-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690735)
OK which is it? LMAO

Nice seller. I asked him if it just luck of the draw on what size prepaid card comes with it and he only responded with ....

KMT

Kiss my teeth.

Bet he does a lot of sales.

nstygma 05-18-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690740)
Nice seller. I asked him if it just luck of the draw on what size prepaid card comes with it and he only responded with ....

KMT

Kiss my teeth.

Bet he does a lot of sales.

LMAO
class act right there

maybe you can get a SIM directly from the provider? http://www.digiceljamaica.com/

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-18-2013 06:18 PM

All you're going to need over there is 911

R8RFAN 05-18-2013 06:27 PM

You need an unlocked GSM phone..and buy a sim . If you take your cell to Jamaica and you turn it on, data roaming starts and you will be hammered.

Fish 05-18-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690267)
I've thought about that as wifi is $14 per day. Not sure if it is worth that much or not. The people I would need to be able to reach me don't know how to use skype and I wouldn't be around wifi all day long.

You're going to Jamaica, but can't swing $14/day for internet?

LMAO

Your frugality is commendable...

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-18-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690243)
Just curious, what services should I be looking at for making phone calls from Jamaica if necessary? My cell carrier does not have any service options down there.

Just go to any Mexican grocery store before leaving. They have many options for calling to the farthest reaches of every imagineable ass-end sewer on the Earth.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99 05-18-2013 09:54 PM

Renting a Sat phone for safety reasons when hunting in extreme locations used to be a flat rate of 5 bucks a day with an up front deposit in case you died, lost it, or damaged the phone on the trip. Some of them are damn near indestructible, so you would have to do something pretty stupid to damage them.

They now have all kinds of phones and plans that work damn near anywhere you can see the sky.

Sorter 05-18-2013 11:20 PM

Is this business or personal?

splatbass 05-18-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690267)

I don't know about Jamaica, but when I travel to South Korea I rent a cell phone at the airport. It gives me unlimited local calls with a local number so people in Korea can reach me (I go for work and they need to be able to call me in during off hours) and people can call from the US (although there is an extra charge for incoming international calls). I typically don't use it to call the US because I can use Skype for much cheaper (I get free wi-fi due to membership status at Hilton hotels), but it is available if I need to away from the hotel. It is worth checking on. It costs less than $3 a day. They may have something like that available there too. I was there for 3 weeks last month, received a couple of short calls from the US, plus a lot of calls from within Korea, along with quite a few texts from my friend there (.20 a text) and my total bill was $45.

Simply Red 05-18-2013 11:51 PM

cool Guru - try not to die.

Ming the Merciless 05-19-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690243)

if this is a q, sorry

Skype is really cool.......you can even get a phone number from your home area code that will ring and take voicemail and allow you to answer calls in jamaica....FREE and none of your callers will even know youre in jamaica....just change your voicemail msg. on your regular phones to reach you on skype, if desired

http://www.skype.com/en/features/#calling

super cheap too, as long as you have wifi its all you really need for calls to and from home

if you absolutely must get a cellphone , just prepay it and only give the number out to emergency contacts....use skype for all non emergencies

Ming the Merciless 05-19-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9690274)

let them leave voicemail! LOL

just get a skype #

007 05-19-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9690926)
You're going to Jamaica, but can't swing $14/day for internet?

LMAO

Your frugality is commendable...

What part of "I would prefer to be able to be reached without having to rely on wifi" do you not ****ing understand.

You know, I embrace my frugality and most here respect it. You always have to be an ass about it and not provide any damn helpful comments at all.

Ming the Merciless 05-19-2013 03:27 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...elephones.html

Worth a read maybe

Sorter 05-19-2013 03:33 AM

Pawn is just raping this thread.

Ming the Merciless 05-19-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9691573)
Pawn is just raping this thread.

You make me question my sexuality

You are a macho wild beast

Sorter 05-19-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9691574)
You make me question my sexuality

You are a macho wild beast

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6114/bawks.gif

A new bawks gif just for you, you fiend.

007 05-19-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9691572)

I found that article last night as well. This part kind of sucked

Quote:

Note: There is no place to purchase a cell phone at the Montego Bay airport.

Note: There is no place to purchase a SIM card at the Montego Bay airport.

Note: There is no place to purchase cell phone minutes, domestic (within Jamaica only) or international, at the Montego Bay airport.
I sent a question to the resort asking them if anything is available with them.

bevischief 05-19-2013 06:13 AM

smoke signals

Pasta Little Brioni 05-19-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9691597)
smoke signals

Yesterday 06:52 AM
PGM Midget couriers

007 05-19-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9691597)
smoke signals

Thats Brilliant!!!! Anybody here with an indian heritage that can teach me?

Msmith 05-19-2013 07:58 AM

We use a online calling card, onesuitedotcom, to do some international calling. You can charge $10, $20, etc to your credit card. You will get a toll free number to call out by using any phone you choose. The rate within US is about 4 cents/minute, India, 8 cents/min, Hong Kong 4 cents/min. There is an international rate chart in the site.

007 05-19-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmith (Post 9691629)
We use a online calling card, onesuitedotcom, to do some international calling. You can charge $10, $20, etc to your credit card. You will get a toll free number to call out by using any phone you choose. The rate within US is about 4 cents/minute, India, 8 cents/min, Hong Kong 4 cents/min. There is an international rate chart in the site.

I'll check it out.