ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Jets close to getting 13th pick from Tampa (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272323)

DeezNutz 04-21-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9609374)
and this years 2nd

That would be an absolute coup, thus mitigating some of my disdain for Alex Smith, since he'd essentially be "free".

nychief 04-21-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9609379)
The Jets, in Rex Ryan's first years, built a team in much the same way that the Chiefs have approached this year.

The Dolphins in 2008 did it much the same way.

I don't believe the approach taken by Dorsey and Reid here has any real chance to succeed, and is more likely to go much the same as the Dolphins-Jets.

How so? The jets started a rookie QB... Which everybody is calling fo and isn't happening here. Also the jets were built on defense, not Reid's hallmark.

milkman 04-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9609410)
How so? The jets started a rookie QB... Which everybody is calling fo and isn't happening here. Also the jets were built on defense, not Reid's hallmark.

Free agency.

Credit to the Jets for going after and starting a rookie QB, but I was pretty clear before that draft that I believed strongly that Mark Sanchez was a guy that should be sat for a minimum of a year, or even better, for 2 years, before seeing the field.

DTLB58 04-21-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9609353)
Kiper just said the Jets are the least talented team in the NFL on paper. Said they don't need to trade up to get a QB either. Should stay put and start building their team, as it resembles an expansion team at this point.

He's right. Rex isn't staying around. So after you fire him and hire the new coach next season let him pick his new QB then.

jAZ 04-21-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9609379)
The Jets, in Rex Ryan's first years, built a team in much the same way that the Chiefs have approached this year.

The Dolphins in 2008 did it much the same way.

I don't believe the approach taken by Dorsey and Reid here has any real chance to succeed, and is more likely to go much the same as the Dolphins-Jets.

This makes no sense. The Jets used a high first rounder on the unproven QB with lots of question marks. The Chiefs traded for the NFL proven(ish) QB. The Chiefs are going to open up the offense. The Jets shut theirs down. The Chiefs are not built on defense, the Jets were.

Those strategies are 180 degrees apart.

jAZ 04-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9609417)
Free agency.

I don't know what you mean by this, but whatever it is pales in comparison to their strategy on offense/defense and QB. But I'm curious what you are thinking about.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-21-2013 09:48 AM

A 2014 first is more valuable than a 2013 first for the Chiefs.

The Bad Guy 04-21-2013 09:51 AM

I would expect to hear a lot of how much the Chiefs love Geno now to get the Jets or Bills to bite this week.

milkman 04-21-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9609479)
I don't know what you mean by this, but whatever it is pales in comparison to their strategy on offense/defense and QB. But I'm curious what you are thinking about.

Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Chris Jenkins, Alan Fanaca, and the others that were signed.

Building your core group through free agency.

Al Bundy 04-21-2013 09:56 AM

If the Bucs give up their first plus anything it will be a terrible trade.

Coogs 04-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9609504)
If the Bucs give up their first plus anything it will be a terrible trade.

There was a plus anything. It just wasn't #13.

Al Bundy 04-21-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9609512)
There was a plus anything. It just wasn't #13.

Nothing I can confirm. However, this is a playoff year or Dominik is fired. This wreaks of desperation and Duminik getting bent over a barrel and ****ed in the ass by the Jets, Revis is a damaged player with a bad knee. Hopefully he fails the physical.

SAUTO 04-21-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9609496)
Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Chris Jenkins, Alan Fanaca, and the others that were signed.

Building your core group through free agency.

They gave out big contracts, something we haven't done.

Our core was already in place.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman 04-21-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9609518)
They gave out big contracts, something we haven't done.

Our core was already in place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed, except at QB and corner.

We traded for the QB, and signed our #2 corner in free agency to fill out our core.

And while we didn't pay any single player a huge contract, we spent a ton of money in free agency to shore up a number of positions.

Coogs 04-21-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9609516)
Nothing I can confirm.

Me neither. Just reporting what I heard.