ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Popcorn ceilings (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289697)

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:10 PM

To the people abating the asbestos themselves, how are you disposing of it? It is the law to bag the asbestos in asbestos labeled 6 mil sealed plastic bags (not drop cloths). It also has to be hauled off to be buried in an asbestos certified area. You could be fined and jailed regardless if its a do it yourself project by the states public safety org.

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11242507)
Can't you make your point without name-calling?

I have supervised an asbestos abatement crew before. I am a licensed general contractor. I know what I am talking about. You do not.

What class abatement license do you have?

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:15 PM

I have a class 2 license for abatement removal in the state of Kansas.

splatbass 01-04-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 11242384)
Actually there is a loop hole in California law that says if you own the place and are the only one there you might be able to do it yourself.

Maybe, but it would still be a stupid idea. Asbestos removal is not safe for you to remove yourself. Period.

splatbass 01-04-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11242486)
Hush. The men are talking, Betty White.

He is giving very bad advice that is detrimental to others health and could also expose them to enormous fines. I will not hush.

Tacoman 01-04-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11242573)
Maybe, but it would still be a stupid idea. Asbestos removal is not safe for you to remove yourself. Period.

Supposedly even one tiny speck of dust can cause serious health problems and even death, does this sound true to you Meatrock?

Brock 01-04-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 11242537)

That was 20 years ago.

kccrow 01-04-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 11242537)

What would you charge to do removal in his home, to give an idea of current costs?

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 11242578)
He is giving very bad advice that is detrimental to others health and could also expose them to enormous fines. I will not hush.

I don't blame you one bit.

If the abatement takes place in a commercial or residential area that would be rented, then air quality tests must be completed during and after the abatement process as well. Dust masks? LMFAO. Try a sealed hepa filter face mask for the worker and full tyvek body suits.

Tacoman 01-04-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoman (Post 11242587)
Supposedly even one tiny speck of dust can cause serious health problems and even death, does this sound true to you Meatrock?

-Meatrock:

Also, I am basing my knowledge off of things I have been told on the matter, but fully acknowledge that I am not an expert on the issue.

That being said, does my description on the matter seem accurate to you?

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoman (Post 11242587)

No, it depends on the amount of fibers in the air and the duration of contact with said fibers. Hell the public is exposed to asbestos everyday.

splatbass 01-04-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 11242599)
I don't blame you one bit.

If the abatement takes place in a commercial or residential area that would be rented, then air quality tests must be completed during and after the abatement process as well. Dust masks? LMFAO. Try a sealed hepa filter face mask for the worker and full tyvek body suits.

Exactly. That is how they do it here in Hawaii too.

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11242592)
What would you charge to do removal in his home, to give an idea of current costs?

Depending on the square footage of the asbestos to be abated and where you live, i would put the costs into the thousands. It's an expensive job but really mandatory. KDHE will burn peeps asses in Kansas if not done correctly and safely.

MeatRock 01-04-2015 03:45 PM

It also depends on what type of asbestos you are dealing with. Chrysotile is most commonly used in homes and flakes fibers easily. Other asbestos types really aren't as dangerous as they are non-friable.

MeatRock 01-04-2015 04:02 PM

Also, water to wet the asbestos down is not good enough, the water has to be mixed with serfactum (if my spelling is correct) here in Kansas. Serfactum makes the water wetter for a longer period of time. Lots of people say how do you make water wetter, well you can't, but it prolongs the wet process of the water.