ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Any CP guitar players use Line 6? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281253)

htismaqe 02-04-2014 05:22 PM

Any CP guitar players use Line 6?

Having issues with my Zoom amp modeling software, no longer being updated and the driver is horrible. I have to run it in a Windows XP VM which further screws up performance.

I'm think of switching to a Line 6 Spider amp. Has a more limited range of modeling options but doesn't depend on being connected to a computer. They get great reviews and I could get a 15W practice amp for under $100.

Gadzooks 02-04-2014 09:28 PM

- Which Zoom product were you using? I use a crusty 'ole G2.1u as my modeler
- What is the purpose of your amp (home recording, jamming with buddies, farting around, etc...)?

htismaqe 02-05-2014 07:49 AM

1. I'm using the Zoom C5.1t foot controller with the ZFX modeling software. It's very similar to what you have. The problem is that I've since switched to a 64-bit operating system, so the software has to be run in a VM. They're no long updating anything. I really want to get away from being dependent on my computer.

2. Sitting in my room practicing scales and playing along with audio tracks.

Gadzooks 02-05-2014 09:27 AM

Have you checked out the Peavy Vypyr? It's the same price and it looks like it has some more effects and modeling options.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yv1qhIsXT7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMO - For the money, you can't go wrong either way.

otherstar 02-05-2014 09:33 AM

Get rid of the modeling amp and computer toys and just go buy a GOOD tube amp and try to find your own sound... :D

htismaqe 02-05-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 10415466)
Get rid of the modeling amp and computer toys and just go buy a GOOD tube amp and try to find your own sound... :D

1) I had a GOOD tube amp. It's overkill for what I need and doesn't offer me the range of different sounds that I want.

2) I've been playing for over 30 years. I have my own sound. That's not what I'm looking for here.

otherstar 02-05-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10415583)
1) I had a GOOD tube amp. It's overkill for what I need and doesn't offer me the range of different sounds that I want.

2) I've been playing for over 30 years. I have my own sound. That's not what I'm looking for here.

I've been playing for over 30 years too. I just happen to think most modeling amps sound too processed and fake (at least the solid state ones do). I think guitar players are better off with one or two good amps and a bunch of pedals over modeling amps. Just my two cents.

How many tones do you REALLY need? (a question I've asked myself a lot of times) My list: very clean; mild overdrive; more overdrive; full on distortion; chorus can be added to all of the above as can delay and wah. I can add more variety by picking a guitar with humbuckers or one with single coil pickups.

Have you looked at the Line 6 Modeling amps? I've heard good things about the newer ones, even if they are not my cup of tea (I don't like sounding like others...my tone is my own and is based mostly on a heavily overdriven Fender Super Reverb--my main amp; or a Fender Blues Junior--for practice).

If your budget allows it, the Line 6 DT25 looks badass!

Omaha 02-05-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Nothing will ever top my old Marshall JCM2000, but it was too much of a pain to play around the house.

Molitoth 02-05-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

lol. Old people not wanting to adapt to technology.

Axe-FX paired with the right cabs will blow anything else away.
Even the Line 6 HD500 is boss.

There have been an abundance of professional musicians now come out and say that they cannot even tell the difference between digital modeling and the real deal anymore.

Now, there is nothing wrong going with a vintage tube amp to get your tone, but to dismiss the quality of technology being put out and telling him he cannot find his "own sound" by going digital is just a very uneducated statement.

htismaqe 02-05-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otherstar (Post 10415642)
I've been playing for over 30 years too. I just happen to think most modeling amps sound too processed and fake (at least the solid state ones do). I think guitar players are better off with one or two good amps and a bunch of pedals over modeling amps. Just my two cents.

I'm not playing live or recording, I'm playing in my bedroom practicing.

Quote:

How many tones do you REALLY need?

As many as I can get. Again, I'm not playing live or recording. I'm practicing, which means I want to experiment with as many effects as possible without breaking the bank.

Quote:

I' Have you looked at the Line 6 Modeling amps?

Um, the thread title is "Music Any CP guitar players use Line 6?"

ROFL :thumb:

Molitoth 02-05-2014 11:35 AM

htis,

The HD series (300,400,500) are phenomenal.

If you are truly on a budget, I would get the 300 and then just find the most transparent mini practice amp you can find within your budget.

Omaha 02-05-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10415679)
lol. Old people not wanting to adapt to technology.

Axe-FX paired with the right cabs will blow anything else away.
Even the Line 6 HD500 is boss.

There have been an abundance of professional musicians now come out and say that they cannot even tell the difference between digital modeling and the real deal anymore.

Now, there is nothing wrong going with a vintage tube amp to get your tone, but to dismiss the quality of technology being put out and telling him he cannot find his "own sound" by going digital is just a very uneducated statement.

Modeling is close enough for me since I don't play live anymore. I love the convenience. That said, I've never found any modeling amp that can mimic the setup I had with my old tube amp. The biggest issue I have with it is changing from clean to distortion.

headsnap 02-05-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

I think guitar players are better off with one or two good amps and a bunch of pedals over modeling amps.

ROFL

I love the guys that use a bunch of pedals to get a sound that sounds like they aren't using pedals...

IMNSHO, processed is processed whether it's digital or analog...

htismaqe 02-05-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10415709)
Modeling is close enough for me since I don't play live anymore. I love the convenience. That said, I've never found any modeling amp that can mimic the setup I had with my old tube amp. The biggest issue I have with it is changing from clean to distortion.

This.

Omaha 02-05-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10415698)
htis,

The HD series (300,400,500) are phenomenal.

If you are truly on a budget, I would get the 300 and then just find the most transparent mini practice amp you can find within your budget.

I just watched some videos that demo the 500. Now I want one. Thanks a lot, asshole!

:D