ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ray Donovan - new Showtime series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269105)

Fire Me Boy! 01-20-2013 11:05 AM

Ray Donovan - new Showtime series

Seems like Liev Schrieber's title character is kind of like Harvey Keitel's Winston Wolf.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HeEwqq9EgWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 01-20-2013 11:27 AM

Looks good. God I wish I had Showtime.

keg in kc 06-18-2013 01:43 PM

Premiere is a week from Sunday, but the full pilot's available on youtube now:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UCjXhhJ7avk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jarni 06-20-2013 09:17 AM

Ray Donovan is an awesome actor, so might try to get a Showtime subscription before this starts out. Generally, I have a hard time finding anything to watch on this set of channels, so why bother paying for it. Thanks for sharing, I'll go check out the trailer now.

Demonpenz 06-21-2013 05:57 AM

cool

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2013 07:39 AM

First show was a good start. Funnier than I expected.

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarni (Post 9764374)
Ray Donovan is an awesome actor

Who's Ray Donovan the actor?

Fire Me Boy! 07-01-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9786267)

Liev Schreiber

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9786375)
Liev Schreiber

He said Ray Donovan is an awesome actor.

:D

DVR'd the show last night but haven't had time to watch it.

Setsuna 07-01-2013 01:40 PM

I liked him and they squandered his potential in Wolverine movie. I'd watch if I had Showtime.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-02-2013 09:03 AM

Good start will watch again next week.

BigRedChief 07-02-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9787989)
Good start will watch again next week.

Agreed. Has lots of potential.

Tribal Warfare 07-08-2013 03:56 AM

badass thus far

Garcia Bronco 07-08-2013 06:54 AM

This by far the best story I've ever seen on any premium network. Its better than the Sopranos. The idea and the character are just really good. He's a criminal, but not. A sort of robin hood type outlaw. Its crazy.

Sorter 07-08-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9786267)

I had a similar reaction.

WilliamTheIrish 07-13-2013 07:44 AM

When i saw the previews for it i thought: "Looks intersting, ill give it a go". I watched it. Thought it was shit. He's a lot less like Winston Wolf, and more like a criminal Ari Gold. I'll give it more episodes for a fair trial, but the premiere was pretty bad IMO.

Sully 07-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9334995)
Seems like Liev Schrieber's title character is kind of like Harvey Keitel's Winston Wolf.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HeEwqq9EgWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm getting much more of a Michael Clayton (George Clooney) vibe.

Baby Lee 07-14-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9798059)
This by far the best story I've ever seen on any premium network. Its better than the Sopranos. The idea and the character are just really good. He's a criminal, but not. A sort of robin hood type outlaw. Its crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9808615)
When i saw the previews for it i thought: "Looks intersting, ill give it a go". I watched it. Thought it was shit. He's a lot less like Winston Wolf, and more like a criminal Ari Gold. I'll give it more episodes for a fair trial, but the premiere was pretty bad IMO.

Conflicting insights, and I don't want to oversell after only two episodes. But the first two episodes gave me a sense of excitement about the possibilities that I only had with Friends, Seinfeld, Deadwood, Sopranos and Mad Men that early on. Not even Game of Thrones had me hooked so quickly, at least not that degree. That's some heady company. It could all go off the rails like The Killing [which eventually recovered] and Heroes, but if not look out.

I liked the echoes of the Bernadette tattoo and the much subtler, and to now poignant, tattoo of Ray's dead sister over his heart in the opening scene. The brother loved a girl, Ray loves his family

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the **** out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.

There's an intriguing mix of old school mafia and modern fixer. Both require ruthlessness and cunning, but Hollywood required and requires a subtler approach, a velvet glove to go along and get along in that society. Its the evolution of guys a generation ago would be stealing parking meters and commandeering trucks of merchandise for cash and black market resale, who are now taking care of the self-inflicted wounds of the hyper rich. Both required a steely jaw, a mind thinking three steps ahead, and absolute immorality to get things done.

Fire Me Boy! 07-15-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9812819)
Conflicting insights, and I don't want to oversell after only two episodes. But the first two episodes gave me a sense of excitement about the possibilities that I only had with Friends, Seinfeld, Deadwood, Sopranos and Mad Men that early on. Not even Game of Thrones had me hooked so quickly, at least not that degree. That's some heady company. It could all go off the rails like The Killing [which eventually recovered] and Heroes, but if not look out.

I liked the echoes of the Bernadette tattoo and the much subtler, and to now poignant, tattoo of Ray's dead sister over his heart in the opening scene. The brother loved a girl, Ray loves his family

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the **** out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.

There's an intriguing mix of old school mafia and modern fixer. Both require ruthlessness and cunning, but Hollywood required and requires a subtler approach, a velvet glove to go along and get along in that society. Its the evolution of guys a generation ago would be stealing parking meters and commandeering trucks of merchandise for cash and black market resale, who are now taking care of the self-inflicted wounds of the hyper rich. Both required a steely jaw, a mind thinking three steps ahead, and absolute immorality to get things done.

It's been bugging me who that guy is, but not to the point of looking him up on IMBD. Then it suddenly dawned on me. IT'S MANNY!

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Wanado...rTonyManny.jpg

Bambi 07-15-2013 10:43 AM

**** yes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ikw1is6cBtk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni 07-16-2013 08:33 AM

This is a really good show.

Demonpenz 07-16-2013 08:09 PM

LMAO

BigRedChief 07-16-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9813134)
It's been bugging me who that guy is, but not to the point of looking him up on IMBD. Then it suddenly dawned on me. IT'S MANNY!

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Wanado...rTonyManny.jpg

Manny: [to a bikini girl who has slapped him] BITCH! LESBIAN!

Baby Lee 07-16-2013 08:42 PM

I meant to say this earlier, but talk on the web about episode to, between Papa Donovan's 'it's OK to let someone suck your cock, but dont take it in the ass,' the movie star I-chatting the Ray's underage son, and the blackmailing tranny, that this is a homophobic show.

What say you guys?

Bambi 07-16-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9816515)
I meant to say this earlier, but talk on the web about episode to, between Papa Donovan's 'it's OK to let someone suck your cock, but dont take it in the ass,' the movie star I-chatting the Ray's underage son, and the blackmailing tranny, that this is a homophobic show.

What say you guys?

There are some race issues as well. Every single black character is as much of a stereotype as you can create. Hopefully some writing and editing changes this in the future. It's a bit obvious.

Game of Thrones has this issue as well.

Cheater5 07-17-2013 04:42 AM

[QUOTE=Baby Lee;9812819

And that Russian is certified bad ass, a grunt level crewman who has the capacity to take any of his 'superiors,' thrashing the **** out of Ray and his love child brother in the same day. Plus he seems to know his way around intel gathering and IT.[/QUOTE]

The character is an Israeli, not a Russian.

Good rundown though and I agree, this is a fun show to watch.

DaneMcCloud 07-18-2013 11:49 PM

This is a DARK ****ing show.

Two brothers sexually molested by a priest, another with epilepsy and another who's mixed race that finally meets his oldest sibling? Not to mention the father, who just got out of prison after 20 years, only to off said priest? Add to that, Ray is on the verge of being completely out of control as well?

Awesome.

The creator and screenwriter also created Southland and wrote for NYPD Blue in its best season (1993). She also must have an issue with the Catholic Church and priests in particular because she also wrote Primal Fear.

Season Two has already been greenlit.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2013 12:17 AM

Oh, and it's great to see Stephan Bauer act again! The guy was a badass but had a serious drug addiction. It's great to see him clean and onscreen again.

Fire Me Boy! 07-19-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9820662)

Two brothers sexually molested by a priest, another with epilepsy and another who's mixed race that finally meets his oldest sibling? Not to mention the father, who just got out of prison after 20 years, only to off said priest? Add to that, Ray is on the verge of being completely out of control as well?

Awesome.

The creator and screenwriter also created Southland and wrote for NYPD Blue in its best season (1993). She also must have an issue with the Catholic Church and priests in particular because she also wrote Primal Fear.

Epilepsy? I think you mean Parkinson's.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9820746)
Epilepsy? I think you mean Parkinson's.

Oh, you're right: it was the Brittney clone that had epilepsy, right?

Fire Me Boy! 07-19-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9820967)
Oh, you're right: it was the Brittney clone that had epilepsy, right?

Blonde from ep 1, yeah.

Bambi 07-21-2013 08:45 PM

http://www.craveonline.com/images/st...ank_Whaley.jpg

Garcia Bronco 07-21-2013 11:56 PM

I just don't get this John Vought character. Its crazy.

RINGLEADER 07-22-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9826506)
I just don't get this John Vought character. Its crazy.

John Voight? The dentist who sold his car to Costanza?

I binged on the first four episodes during a plane flight yesterday. Great show, though the most recent episode was the weakest IMO. Whenever they drift into the family life it's still good, but not nearly as strong IMO.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9826557)

I binged on the first four episodes during a plane flight yesterday. Great show, though the most recent episode was the weakest IMO. Whenever they drift into the family life it's still good, but not nearly as strong IMO.

The final scene in episode four was brilliant and showed the complexity of Mickey's character. Jon Voight has been amazing.

Garcia Bronco 07-22-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9826894)
The final scene in episode four was brilliant and showed the complexity of Mickey's character. Jon Voight has been amazing.

No doubt.

Garcia Bronco 07-22-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 9826557)

We're not sure. We do have a pencil with bite marks, though.

ChiefsFanatic 07-22-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9816515)

What say you guys?

It is not a homophobic show, and it is not racist. The show simply has characters that are homophobic and racist. These are real world characters, and not PC bullshit that other shows feel the need to have.

I love the show, and think that is has a world of possibilities.

BigRedChief 07-22-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9826164)

Brad with the big brain! :clap:

BigRedChief 07-22-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Awesome.

Yep, it rolls around in the anti-PC and shows the raw reality that we know is occurring daily.

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 09:47 PM

The ****!!!

Big Brain Brad steps out of the turd locker and immediately sets about flossing his teeth?

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 9827836)
It is not a homophobic show, and it is not racist. The show simply has characters that are homophobic and racist. These are real world characters, and not PC bullshit that other shows feel the need to have.

I love the show, and think that is has a world of possibilities.

FTR, I wasn't proposing this as fact, or even my opinion, but it seemed to be getting a lot of play on other sites and I thought it might be a topic of productive conversation here. Those aspects rolled right off my back when I watched the episode, but I've always gravitated to the taboo/seedy in entertainment. Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, In the Company of Men, Deadwood, etc.

Like you, I think, I don't view these as good or bad people necessarily, just people who ARE in the world the creators have made. Ambiguity [moral, ethical or otherwise] with a sense of purpose is catnip to me.

DaneMcCloud 07-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9828338)
Yep, it rolls around in the anti-PC and shows the raw reality that we know is occurring daily.

The show-runner has always been phenomenal. The best season of NYPD Blue, IMO, was when she was there its debut season. Primal Fear is one of my all-time favorites movies and Southland is as gritty as non-premium TV allows.

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

The creator and screenwriter also created Southland and wrote for NYPD Blue in its best season (1993).

Loved, loved, LOVED the first season of NYPD Blue [I should add an addendum to my post above of shows I 'knew' would be great early on, right around 'ipsy [sp] this you pissy little bitch.']. Ironic that the role of Det. John Kelly, Caruso's meatiest role and one in which he excelled, he walked away from so quickly. Though, I'm sure he's not losing any sleep after the $M's he got from CSI Miami, but he could have placed himself in the pantheon of all time great characters, instead of the butt of memes about people donning sunglasses and saying something absurd.

That episode where he was interrogating the baker who who killed a cab driver, fully cognizant of the facts in the case, but aware that it would be difficult to prove, . . . where he holds the guy's hand throughout every stage, then comes back time after time to bemoan how things aren't 'adding up' until the guy has spilled everything is as good a performance in a single episode of TV as I can recall. It's like Milch, Mamet and early David Wolf were tasked with penning the ultimate episode of police procedural fiction.

Though I must admit that Schwimmer as 4B [and Greendale alum Guzman as Nic's brother] was some weak sauce.

Demonpenz 07-22-2013 10:21 PM

Did they use the old "Now that we found love" and then played heavy d's version? I may have heard now that we found love sample in either this show or mad men cause it is the only two I watch.

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9828470)
Did they use the old "Now that we found love" and then played heavy d's version? I may have heard now that we found love sample in either this show or mad men cause it is the only two I watch.

Mickey represent!!

PS - post DMC [and you know they were exiled pretty damned quick in the mid-late 80s], Heavy D and Kool Moe Dee were MY jams.

I go to work
like a doctor
when I rock the mic, you got to like
the way I operate
I make miracles happen, just from rappin'

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/agnKPLrG2E0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first rap I memorized and got the cadences down, ever. It wasn't that I couldn't memorize other cadences, but this was the first that really felt was worth the effort.

Anyong Bluth 07-23-2013 07:24 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it. Very random casting, but not in a negative way. Man, Liev has aged quite a bit over the last few years. He's really starting to look like a rodent, but I've become more of a fan of his as an actor the more stuff I've seen of his over the years.

Anyong Bluth 07-23-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Awesome.

Primal Fear was written by a guy- unless you're talking about who adapted the book for film... ???

DaneMcCloud 07-23-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 9828724)
Primal Fear was written by a guy- unless you're talking about who adapted the book for film... ???

Yes. Ann Biderman wrote the screenplay.

Anyong Bluth 07-23-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9829736)
Yes. Ann Biderman wrote the screenplay.

Got ya, I loved the book and the movie. Ed Norton was amazing in it, especially since I believe this was his first real role in a major motion picture.

Demonpenz 07-29-2013 09:54 PM

uplifting episode

Tribal Warfare 08-25-2013 10:20 PM

That episode was so ****ing badass Ray "the ****ing miracle worker" Donovan.

Bowser 08-27-2013 02:57 PM

Eat a dick, Time Warner

WilliamTheIrish 08-29-2013 04:48 PM

I'm still watching and this is the worst show I've ever seen.

Bowser 09-19-2013 12:25 PM

Anybody still giving the show a go? Last week's episode was, well, pretty intense, shall we say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 9923856)
I'm still watching and this is the worst show I've ever seen.

Really? This show has drawn me in big time. Fascinated by the entire storyline and how that ****ed up family is strung together.

Tribal Warfare 09-19-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9993441)
Anybody still giving the show a go? Last week's episode was, well, pretty intense, shall we say?

Really? This show has drawn me in big time. Fascinated by the entire storyline and how that ****ed up family is strung together.

Shit yeah, most compelling show of the year. The last show was a WTF episode. Thinking Mickey got the right guy in Boston, but Bunchy was the one who really spotted the priest in LA

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9993441)

There have been a few "slow" episodes in the past month but last week's was stellar. Ray finally admitted what the audience knew but no one else did and he exercised that demon.

After that, I thought to myself "Now, where do they go next season?" when BOOM! Of course.

Mickey.

keg in kc 09-19-2013 01:08 PM

I didnt' have showtime for a while (time warner/cbs problems...), so i haven't started it yet.

Bowser 09-19-2013 02:36 PM

Yeah, I missed a good three or four episodes due to the TWC/CBS pissing match, but the flow of the show is basically the same. Good stuff.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9993762)
Yeah, I missed a good three or four episodes due to the TWC/CBS pissing match, but the flow of the show is basically the same. Good stuff.

Can you download them On Demand free of charge since you're a Showtime subscriber?

I can do whole seasons with Direct TV or stream in real time.

Demonpenz 09-19-2013 11:55 PM

I thought the show gets pretty silly. RD ****s some other girl and the wife is like...still in? k....I still watch though because James Woods is straight up gansta

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2014 10:46 AM

Season 2 starts on Sunday.

Can't embed, but here's the trailer: http://youtu.be/slqMTLVGU08

vailpass 07-08-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10735946)

Excellent. One of my fav series. Bring on Banshee as well...

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-18-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10735946)

And it was a great one love this show.

Fire Me Boy! 07-18-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10753277)

Still on the DVR, but will likely catch up this weekend or early next week.

BigRedChief 07-18-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10000663)
I thought the show gets pretty silly. RD ****s some other girl and the wife is like...still in? k....

Welllll duh...Women stay with powerful men despite them fooling around.

BigRedChief 07-18-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10753277)

Yep, picked up right where it left off. Well done TV. :clap:

Bowser 07-18-2014 04:19 PM

I chuckled seeing Data playing marriage therapist for some reason.

Tribal Warfare 07-28-2014 02:29 AM

Tori Black made an appearance in the last episode.

gblowfish 07-28-2014 09:44 AM

I saw a couple episodes of this last night and was not impressed.

Donovan's wife is like a South Boston version of Carmella Soprano. She's a therapy case and gives BJs for material objects.

His daughter is fugly as sin, and (of course) has a rapper for a boyfriend.

Voight's character is Christopher Walken meets Pauly Walnuts.

Just didn't get into it that much. The guy who plays Ray Donovan was better as the hockey enforcer in the movie "Goon."

Bowser 08-19-2014 10:39 PM

Ah, poor Bunchy. Lol

BigRedChief 08-20-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10834355)
Ah, poor Bunchy. Lol

AWKWARD!!!!:LOL:

underEJ 08-21-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10834355)
Ah, poor Bunchy. Lol

That may be the most ****ed up thing this show has done yet!

BigRedChief 09-25-2014 11:26 AM

I thought last weeks show was the best of the season so far. You just didn't know who they would kill off. I could see them killing off a good kid, a bad guy, central charetorr whoever.

Spoiler!

vailpass 09-26-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10946710)
I thought last weeks show was the best of the season so far. You just didn't know who they would kill off. I could see them killing off a good kid, a bad guy, central charetorr whoever.

Spoiler!

This week's was good too...

beach tribe 07-15-2015 05:33 PM

Holy Shit. I just finished the first season of this show, and it is WAAAAY better than I expected.
Really, really good. Love it so far.

BigRedChief 07-17-2015 09:16 PM

Nice opening show. This is the type of "gritty" TV that True Detective should be doing.

Bowser 07-17-2015 09:57 PM

If Ian McShane doesn't call at least one person on this show a one who sucks the penis this season, I'm going to be supremely disappointed.

vailpass 07-17-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11604426)
Nice opening show. This is the type of "gritty" TV that True Detective should be doing.

Agreed. I like where they're going with Mick...

beach tribe 07-22-2015 10:40 AM

Just caught all the way up. This show is awesome.