ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I think it's gonna be Barkley. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266588)

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 01:34 PM

Pocket Presence, ability to read a defense and accuracy is a must for whomever we draft.

if we get that and get rid of Cassel i'm a happy camper.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115635)
Watch the Stanford clips and even Syracuse this year. Barkley's system protects him a lot. Against Syracuse I'd say 70% of his passes were 2 yards down field or less. He makes some boneheaded plays under pressure.

I've watched plenty of both or them (though i will re-watch again and again im sure) and i recall Geno having the same issues. Geno also throws a lot of short stuff that his WR's take for big gainers.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9115648)
Pocket Presence, ability to read a defense and accuracy is a must for whomever we draft.

if we get that and get rid of Cassel i'm a happy camper.

And i see more of that in Barkley and Wilson than i do Smith.

This past saturday i watched Smith miss wide open throws downf ield and nearly give the game away on a would be interception.

The guy needs work.

Once again, i don't see a clear cut winner yet.

Sorter 11-13-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115647)
Why is the Matt Ryan comparison more accurate than comparing him to Sanchez or Leinert?

Sanchez was a 1 year starter.

Barkley hasn't had nearly the hype Leinart did but I could understand someone making a comparison there.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9115661)
Sanchez was a 1 year starter.

Barkley hasn't had nearly the hype Leinart did but I could understand someone making a comparison there.

And then when you compare Barkley to Leinart, it's pretty clear that one is vastly more mature than the other.

mr. tegu 11-13-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115654)
I've watched plenty of both or them (though i will re-watch again and again im sure) and i recall Geno having the same issues. Geno also throws a lot of short stuff that his WR's take for big gainers.

Both Barkley and Smith benefit from YAC but that is because they put the ball in the perfect spot for the receiver to keep on going. No matter how open someone is, if the QB isn't very accurate there won't be those long pass plays with the receiver breaking it after the catch.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9115667)
Both Barkley and Smith benefit from YAC but that is because they put the ball in the perfect spot for the receiver to keep on going. No matter how open someone is, if the QB isn't very accurate there won't be those long pass plays with the receiver breaking it after the catch.

Oh i agree.

All the more reason we need to draft one and get rid of Cassel.

It doesn't matter which one you get if all you're looking for is an upgrade.

Chris Meck 11-13-2012 01:40 PM

Sanchez started one year and left early. Not much in common other than the system.

Leinert-nothing in common other than the system. Lefty, even less arm strength, not nearly as accurate, not a dedicated student of the game, lack of film study really showed up in the NFL. Intangibles sucked.

Matt Ryan-all the intangibles are there, similar arm, from a similar system. Ryan has shown a similar skillset and mental makeup being successful in the NFL. Ryan is a good picture of upside. I think a pre-shoulder injury Pennington would be the floor. Either is a drastic improvement.

All that being said, I'm not saying I think he's better than Smith or Wilson, just that I think he'll be the pick for a gunshy franchise.

Chiefs Pantalones 11-13-2012 01:43 PM

Just me, but I prefer Barkley. Four year starter, has improved every year, pro style offense, etc. I'd be fine with any of the top three though.

RustShack 11-13-2012 01:43 PM

Barkley isn't even good enough to have a great season with a team stacked with talent. I want a QB that makes a team better than it is.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9115672)

All that being said, I'm not saying I think he's better than Smith or Wilson, just that I think he'll be the pick for a gunshy franchise.

Very well could be. Barkley has "safe" written all over him.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9115679)
Barkley isn't even good enough to have a great season with a team stacked with talent. I want a QB that makes a team better than it is.

Is the team stacked with talent, or is Barkley making the talent around him better?

milkman 11-13-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9115618)
Agree. Definitely a difference.

But I'd say Tom Brady is just about as immobile as it gets. He still manages.

I just don't think mobility will be an issue for Barkley.

Tom Brady doesn't scramble, but his pocket mobility is the best I've seen since Terry Bradshaw.

No one glides in the pocket to avoid pressure better.

suds79 11-13-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9115679)

2011 wasn't a great year for him?

suds79 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9115690)
Tom Brady doesn't scramble, but his pocket mobility is the best I've seen since Terry Bradshaw.

No one glides in the pocket to avoid pressure better.

Okay I digress. Before this stems off into Tom Brady talk etc.

Do you think Matt Barkley's pocket mobility will be an issue? Neither do I.