ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Can an NBA team be too white? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266023)

durtyrute 11-01-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9071811)
810 is talking about this and Danny(dipshit) thinks there is racism involved here.

I like Danny and all, but sometimes he says some of the dumbest shit.

blaise 11-01-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9071826)
I like Danny and all, but sometimes he says some of the dumbest shit.

I agree. Half the time it seems like he just likes going, "Ehhhh, I don't know....." in response to someone, but he doesn't have much else after that.
It's like that one commercial from Honda where the guy goes, "Ehhhh, I don't know about that...." but makes no actual point.

durtyrute 11-01-2012 02:46 PM

It's crazy, he makes Carrington, who I swear is a Nick Wright clone, sound like a genius.

Mr. Laz 11-01-2012 02:52 PM

Can an NBA team be too black?

Saul Good 11-01-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9071456)
According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, this year's squad will be the league's whitest since the 1980s Boston Celtics.

We all know how bad those Celtics teams were.

Saul Good 11-01-2012 02:58 PM

Are the Calgary Flames too black? They have two black players.

vailpass 11-01-2012 03:01 PM

Negro please.

Captain Obvious 11-01-2012 03:02 PM

I'm surprised Whitlock hasn't posted in here yet.

Calcountry 11-01-2012 03:07 PM

Really? This is the N B A we are talking about.

kcxiv 11-01-2012 03:16 PM

white folks can ball now days. There are some really really damned good ones.
If you can play, then play

durtyrute 11-01-2012 03:23 PM

Out of all of the jokes about black people and all of the racism geared towards black people it's funny to see some in here get upset about this.

vailpass 11-01-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9071958)
Out of all of the jokes about black people and all of the racism geared towards black people it's funny to see some in here get upset about this.

:deevee:

RealSNR 11-01-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9071958)

I don't think anybody's really upset. We're content to call the original author an idiot and move on.

The Timberwolves are actually in a position to make the playoffs this year, largely because they have a center who can score, one of the most versatile PFs in the game, an super-talented passer at PG, and now they've done a good job to fill out the rest of their starting lineup with smart veterans who know how to play in the league. Yes, outside of Roy, they're all white guys. And no, it's not a problem because they can all ball hard.

CoMoChief 11-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcountry (Post 9071910)
Really? This is the N B A we are talking about.

I dont get the context of this...what does the N stand for?

Rain Man 11-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9071936)
white folks can ball now days. There are some really really damned good ones.
If you can play, then play

I saw some article a couple of years ago that I thought was really interesting.

It mentioned the NBA as an example of cultural bias, and linked it to lower school test scores among minorities.

There are a fair number of white NBA players, but the vast majority are non-American. At the time of the article, I think it said there was only one white American in the league (or one white American starter, something like that). However, there were a fair number of foreign white people.

The article made the comment that white Americans are culturally infused with the notion that blacks are better at basketball, so they give up easily and don't have the persistence to succeed at an elite level, because they feel that they have an inherent disadvantage. White foreigners don't have the same issue, so they soldier on and do just fine.

The article then said something like, "Do you see the parallel between this and lower standardized test scores for blacks and Hispanics?"

I thought it was an interesting observation in how people internalize societal expectations.