ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Planting trees (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300104)

HemiEd 05-29-2016 07:37 AM

Planting trees

So let's hear about the trees you have planted. :D Shade? Fruit bearing? Decorative?

How are they doing?

My wife says I have an obsession with them and probably do.

Now that we are in our last home here at the lake, I am having fun with it. Here is my list.

14 Colorado Blue Spruce
1 Loblolly pine
2 plum
2 peach
1 pear
1 cherry
1 Brown turkey fig
1 Chicago fig

What you got?

HemiEd 05-29-2016 07:40 AM

I forgot to include the 20 poplar trees that are to be a curtain between us and a hated neighbor.

BlackHelicopters 05-29-2016 07:52 AM

Globe willow

ChiefRocka 05-29-2016 08:27 AM

"Best time to plant a tree is 20 yrs ago, 2nd best time is today"

one of my all time faves

HemiEd 05-29-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 12251402)
"Best time to plant a tree is 20 yrs ago, 2nd best time is today"

one of my all time faves

That is a good one, thanks!

I hate cedar trees and the guy from the extension service says they are not native to this area. They are everywhere though. I have taken down a lot of cedars.

lewdog 05-29-2016 08:38 AM

I am a tree and plant lover as well. You can do a lot with things here in the desert. We re-did our backyard when we moved in with a variety of plant/tress. I love doing landscape stuff. Only so much room for trees on smaller Phoenix lots so lots of flowering plants and palms too.

1 lime tree
1 orange tree
1 lemon tree
Various hibiscus plants
Mediterranean palm tree
Pygmy palm tree
Green cloud sage
Fire sticks
fish hook and barrel cactus
Agave plants

I think my next project this fall is to plant some grape vines along our pool fence and work on getting them to trellis across the entire fence for some coverage over it's ugly white color.

HemiEd 05-29-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12251415)
I am a tree and plant lover as well. You can do a lot with things here in the desert. We re-did our backyard when we moved in with a variety of plant/tress. I love doing landscape stuff. Only so much room for trees on smaller Phoenix lots so lots of flowering plants and palms too.

1 lime tree
1 orange tree
1 lemon tree
Various hibiscus plants
Mediterranean palm tree
Pygmy palm tree
Green cloud sage
Fire sticks
fish hook and barrel cactus
Agave plants

I think my next project this fall is to plant some grape vines along our pool fence and work on getting them to trellis across the entire fence for some coverage over it's ugly white color.

Have your citrus trees provided any usable citrus yet? How old are they?

I have a friend in Az that is growing some cactus that has very short lived blossoms.

The deer love to clean all the leaves off of our hibiscus plants. I am going to have to move them inside the fence.

Iowanian 05-29-2016 09:01 AM

This year I have planted 4 6' oaks, 2 pine, 4 ornamentals, 4 Apple, 3 peach, 2 cherry, 2 plumb, 2 pear...4 blackberry and 4 blueberry at my place. Planted several more for family members as well.

I have an existing orchard and have a fruit grinder and press...I make cider in the fall and the past 3 years have hosted preschool classes and kindergarteners for a cider making demo. Wife usually has some kind of hen party and wants to make it for them too. A lot of work but it's also kind of fulfilling to do it.

I always plant or transplant trees for Mother's Day. I had planted 19 fruit trees a year ago in November but I think the roots froze in shipping and they all died. Pisses me off to waste that much effort.

Buehler445 05-29-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12251413)

I hate cedar trees and the guy from the extension service says they are not native to this area. They are everywhere though. I have taken down a lot of cedars.

I live in a desert. Trees are hard to get going. Red cedars are used in windbreaks a lot. Because they're the roughest toughest meanest sons of bitches around. And we still have to baby them and water them and love them.

I've planted a pissassload of cedars. I planted a bunch of lilacs. Planted a shiload of Sandhills plums. Tried to get some peach and pear trees going. At my last house we planted a shamrock linden. That was a hell of a tree.

If you're wanting fruit, plant some Sandhill plums. They are glorious.

As for the cedars, see if you can get some grazon. Cut them off hit them with Grazon. Talk to NRCS and see if you can get some.

srvy 05-29-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12251413)

They smell good but the MDC consider them a noxious weed. I dont plant many but I have killed a lot running centerline roads and highways for clearing. I have gone to war with Black locust, Honey locust, Osage Orange, Hackberry and Hickory.

I miss Southern Missouri in the spring as the dogwoods bloom and the smell of sassafras when cut its strong smell of root beer.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-29-2016 11:55 AM

In the last two years since we moved from our last house to the new, in no particular order...

-3 Prairie Gold Aspen
-1 Horstman Blue Atlas Cedar
-5 Heritage River Birch
-5 Swedish Columnar Aspen
-4 Flame Amur Maples
-4 Green Giant Arborvitae
-3 Arnold Columnar Tulip Trees
-3 Karl Fuchs Deodar Cedar
-3 Pendula Alaskan Cedars

It's what I do.

KChiefs1 05-29-2016 12:02 PM

We have a lot of rock & clay. Digging holes is a bitch.

We've had trouble getting a few to live. In one spot we've planted 3 trees & all have died.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewdog 05-29-2016 12:06 PM

Would love to see some picture if you guys have some time to snap some!

Mr_Tomahawk 05-29-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12251648)
We have a lot of rock & clay. Digging holes is a bitch.

We've had trouble getting a few to live. In one spot we've planted 3 trees & all have died.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cotton Burr Compost...lots of it.

Depends what you are trying to plant.

When you dig your hole, dig it as wide as you can...at least twice the size of the container/BB size you are putting it. Then back-fill with a mixture of your excavated soil and cotton burr compost. Obviously if you can substitute the excavated soil with a pulverizes soil of sorts, the better.

People around here dig their holes not large enough. And with our clay soil, they essentially are forming a clay pot to put their trees in and end up over-watering and drowning them.

Go wide...get high quality backfill.

HemiEd 05-29-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 12251428)
This year I have planted 4 6' oaks, 2 pine, 4 ornamentals, 4 Apple, 3 peach, 2 cherry, 2 plumb, 2 pear...4 blackberry and 4 blueberry at my place. Planted several more for family members as well.

I have an existing orchard and have a fruit grinder and press...I make cider in the fall and the past 3 years have hosted preschool classes and kindergarteners for a cider making demo. Wife usually has some kind of hen party and wants to make it for them too. A lot of work but it's also kind of fulfilling to do it.

I always plant or transplant trees for Mother's Day. I had planted 19 fruit trees a year ago in November but I think the roots froze in shipping and they all died. Pisses me off to waste that much effort.

Wow. Are you getting them when they are pretty small? Are you buying them from a nursery or are you getting some help from the extension?