ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Will Smith to star in Tarantinos next "Django Unchained" ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244861)

Gravedigger 01-03-2013 05:33 AM

I liked this movie alot, thought Inglorious Bastards was better. Leo was great and methodical, Samuel L Jackson can play the racist black guy in any movie, Christoph Waltz always brings his A game, and Jaime Foxx was pretty good as well.

Loved the Clan arguement over the hoods, especially Jonah Hill being the guy who rips his hood and asks for another.

Tribal Warfare 01-03-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9272681)
I liked this movie alot, thought Inglorious Bastards was better. Leo was great and methodical, Samuel L Jackson can play the racist black guy in any movie, Christoph Waltz always brings his A game, and Jaime Foxx was pretty good as well.

Loved the Clan arguement over the hoods, especially Jonah Hill being the guy who rips his hood and asks for another.

at times I thought Tarantino was trying to mimic Blazing Saddles.

Deberg_1990 01-03-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9272705)
at times I thought Tarantino was trying to mimic Blazing Saddles.

heh, yea..thats what the Klan segment felt like. Very Mel Brooks like.

Tribal Warfare 01-03-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9272716)
heh, yea..thats what the Klan segment felt like. Very Mel Brooks like.

or when they entered the town when Django was still unkempt.

Micjones 01-03-2013 05:47 PM

Just saw "Django Unchained" and artistically it's almost unimpeachable.
It's an absolutely brilliant film in that regard. Maybe Tarantino's best...

Politically though? Spike, for once, has a point.

Don't think so? Imagine he does the same Spaghetti Western with the Jewish holocaust as the backdrop.

Okay then.

Micjones 01-03-2013 05:55 PM

I was totally wrong though, Will Smith could've played the character of "Django."
In fact, he may have turned in a performance that rivaled Foxx's.

listopencil 01-03-2013 09:16 PM

I just saw it. Very entertaining. I'm a fan of the old spaghetti westerns and it certainly pays homage to them. It also has a bit of the blaxploitation feel to it, but that's part of the director's style. It's not going to be on your list of greatest movies of all time but it's a lot of fun to watch. I recommend it. Oh, on the use of the "N" word, it's appropriate within the context of the movie. To be clear I'm the kind of guy that has never used the word conversationally and find it offensive in everyday speach. It was used for effect and served a purpose in the film.

Chiefspants 01-04-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9275877)

Don't think so? Imagine he does the same Spaghetti Western with the Jewish holocaust as the backdrop.

Okay then.

I haven't seen Django.

How close did he toe that line with Inglourious?

Gravedigger 01-04-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9278065)
I haven't seen Django.

How close did he toe that line with Inglourious?

Same kinda premise, different story, more racism.

listopencil 01-04-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9204511)

Yeah. I didn't give a shit what Spike Lee thought in 1997, and I don't give a shit what he thinks in 2013.

DBOSHO 01-04-2013 02:00 AM

Just got back from Django. Loved it. I need to see basterds again to see where it ranks.

Everyone turned in a fantastic performance but I think Dicaprio was my favorite.

nstygma 01-04-2013 02:45 AM

i liked the internal conflict in the mind of a killer about Alexandre Dumas/dogs which brought action, but wasn't happy with how it ended. wasn't that a two-shot pistol?

Sorter 01-04-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9278329)
i liked the internal conflict in the mind of a killer about Alexandre Dumas/dogs which brought action, but wasn't happy with how it ended. wasn't that a two-shot pistol?

He tried to get a shot off IIRC but had a poor angle.

Deberg_1990 01-04-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9275877)

Okay then.

Yea, good point Mic. Im still going back and forth on it. On one hand QT wants to just make a fun spaghetti western good time. Which is fine.......But on the other hand he makes it dark and gritty setting it in a controversial, ugly time period. I honestly did think he overused the N word.....but i guess hes trying to push buttons and remain true to the time period. Maybe he was deliberately trying to make the audience feel uncomfortable? It definitely made me squirm a few times.

bowener 01-05-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9283187)
Yea, good point Mic. Im still going back and forth on it. On one hand QT wants to just make a fun spaghetti western good time. Which is fine.......But on the other hand he makes it dark and gritty setting it in a controversial, ugly time period. I honestly did think he overused the N word.....but i guess hes trying to push buttons and remain true to the time period. Maybe he was deliberately trying to make the audience feel uncomfortable? It definitely made me squirm a few times.

I don't think he overused it one bit. I can't think of a time that it was used and it wasn't appropriate to the era and the context of the story.

I liked how he set up the time/era by showing how surprised and appalled white folk were at seeing a black man on horseback.