ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers My Computer Build (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223320)

durtyrute 02-08-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks guys I got everything with the exception of Windows (that should be in tomorrow), but I have another question. The case comes with two fans one do I need another on top. I don't plan to do any gaming so is it necessary. There will be a total of four fans inside: the two that come with the case, one on the gpu and one on the cpu, is the top fan necessary?

hometeam 02-08-2013 07:00 PM

you need as much cooling as you can get. Look up some different options, you can run negative or positive airflow. More cooling = longer life

Barret 02-08-2013 07:07 PM

I see a lot of people here are going with an Intel type processor. Has AMD fallen that far behind? I thought their 8 core was supposed to be decent. Or instead of cores should I be looking at processing speed? Currently have a 4 core Phenom II 955 sitting at 3.2 MHZ

hometeam 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

AMD sucks donkey balls for high intensity processing, like gaming, when compared to the Intel Sandy and Ivy core processors. Even going back to the Q series they where starting to get way behind Intel.

They are definitely cheaper though, and do fine in office/grandma/teenage girl type use~

QuikSsurfer 02-09-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9387946)
Thanks guys I got everything with the exception of Windows (that should be in tomorrow), but I have another question. The case comes with two fans one do I need another on top. I don't plan to do any gaming so is it necessary. There will be a total of four fans inside: the two that come with the case, one on the gpu and one on the cpu, is the top fan necessary?

Nope. You'll be fine with the two fans and heat sink. I have the same case and over clock -- our cooling is identical. My system runs cool.
No need for more with what you're using it for.

Barret 02-10-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9388193)
AMD sucks donkey balls for high intensity processing, like gaming, when compared to the Intel Sandy and Ivy core processors. Even going back to the Q series they where starting to get way behind Intel.

They are definitely cheaper though, and do fine in office/grandma/teenage girl type use~

Well I took your advice and went and got a new motherboard and CPU. Intel I5 gen 3 2500k processor. Seems to be running a lot better already then the Phenom II. Looking forward to learning more about overclocking and stuff for this chip.

Thanks again for the help.

jspchief 02-10-2013 12:28 AM

I5-2500k is a great processor. Best performance value in some time.

hometeam 02-10-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 9390927)
Well I took your advice and went and got a new motherboard and CPU. Intel I5 gen 3 2500k processor. Seems to be running a lot better already then the Phenom II. Looking forward to learning more about overclocking and stuff for this chip.

Thanks again for the help.

You made a good choice, even though the i5 2500k has been out for some time, its still an extremely powerful processor and the best value gaming processor out there. Not to mention it overclocks like a beast and can handle massive temps. They are easy to OC (have you ever tried to OC an old AMD thunderbird? LOL!) and with the right setup you can easily get a stable oc in the low/mid 4s if you want. Depending on the Mobo you went with, there may be an automatic OC feature in the BIOS that you can use if you want, or even use and then tweak from there while you are learning.

Your goal is biggest OC, with lowest voltages while still being stable.

I had alot more typed out but decided not to give an overclocking seminar just yet. You should be able to figure it out with a little patience and google~

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1163/16

durtyrute 02-12-2013 08:17 AM

THE BUILD IS COMPLETE AND THE COMPUTER IS A MUTHA****IN BEAST!!!

Thank you very much to everyone that helped along the way. You guys ****ing rock!!!

QuikSsurfer 02-12-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9396169)
THE BUILD IS COMPLETE AND THE COMPUTER IS A MUTHA****IN BEAST!!!

Thank you very much to everyone that helped along the way. You guys ****ing rock!!!

Right on!
How's your cable management inside that HAF? :)

durtyrute 02-12-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9396665)
Right on!
How's your cable management inside that HAF? :)

Awesome. I like being able to put all of the cable behind everything. Thanks for your help.

htismaqe 02-12-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9391182)
They are easy to OC (have you ever tried to OC an old AMD thunderbird? LOL!)

For a while, I was in the MSI user community HoF with my overclock of an X2 6000+. :D

AMD is a bitch to overclock.