ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music The Doors: 1968 Hollywood Bowl (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270722)

DaneMcCloud 07-28-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11623433)
Most people don't care because they don't know. They haven't been offered anything other than brick walled, crushed dynamic range music outside of "audiophile" remasters of '70's/60's/50's analog master tape stuff that was recorded right in the first place. Sure there are a handful of mastering engineers who have tried to do it right, like Ted Jensen, Bob Katz and the like, but they are few and far between and often have to battle artists and record execs who only care about if their shit is loud enough. ****ing stupid CDs.

This is not going away any time soon. It's reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11623433)
The one hope that the "new" higher resolution 24 bit/whatever sampling rate download formats gives (other than potentially better quality end user material) is that they help the industry start trending away from the "loudness war" that has plauged it and subsequently the consumer for the past 20+ years.

I highly doubt that the masses will even notice the difference, let alone, care enough to make the change.

As I've mentioned so many times, music has become disposable. It's background noise. It's become completely devalued the past 20 years and unfortunately for people like me, it will only become worse.

Saccopoo 07-28-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11623470)
This is not going away any time soon. It's reality.

I highly doubt that the masses will even notice the difference, let alone, care enough to make the change.

As I've mentioned so many times, music has become disposable. It's background noise. It's become completely devalued the past 20 years and unfortunately for people like me, it will only become worse.

I don't know. The whole "hi-res" thing has a definite vibe to it and Pono has helped push it along faster than what was initially expected, imo.

Storage is insanely cheap at this point and will only get bigger and cheaper - e.g., they just released the 200 gb micro-sd cards, the 128's are under $100 and the 64's are now at $25!

I think it's a real deal. Downloads are what the future of music is vs. hard copy stuff which is a dinosaur in every respect of the word. People know MP3's suck - they just haven't been given a viable, known option at this point and Pono has done that (even though hi-res music downloads have been around for a while). It's put the "hi-res" formats in front of the consumer and given them an option. And they've responded - see the $8,000,000 that Pono raised on Kickstarter as proof. That's the "masses" supporting it, not some investment team or corporation or big music label. People do want better sound. They just haven't been given it until now. And I think that the 24 bit format helps engineers make a better product as well - or the potential to anyway.

Hi-res downloads are available on the grassroots level on Bandcamp (Hey Kyle, where's my A Light Within 24/96 btw?) and there are now a pretty large number of sites offering them.