ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Steve Carrell leaving 'The Office' after next season. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230042)

Red Brooklyn 07-01-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6852757)
COME ON! /GOB

:)

Fine. I'll give it another shot.

Baby Lee 07-01-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6853508)
:)

Fine. I'll give it another shot.

Like I said, don't try to get emotionally involved, or connect with the characters. Just let the jokes and gags follow over you. Eventually it will win you over through sheer funny density.

Red Brooklyn 07-01-2010 11:00 AM

Maybe my expectations were too high to begin with. Now that they're starting at a more reasonable level - coupled with your advice Baby Lee, and your disappointment in me, Reaper - perhaps I'll have a much more enjoyable experience.

irishjayhawk 07-01-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 6853197)
The Big Bang Theory is awful television

Blasphemy.

Reaper16 07-01-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6853745)
Blasphemy.

It doesn't sound blasphemic to me.

Huffmeister 07-01-2010 01:25 PM

I've heard good things about Big Bang Theory, but I just can't bring myself to watch anything that was "recorded in front of a live studio audience." Laugh-tracks have made me want to rip off my ears and use them to gouge out my eyes since they started using them in the old Scooby Doo cartoons.

Demonpenz 07-01-2010 03:22 PM

michael would have been fired in the first episode if it was real life. I still watch the office, but good get him the **** out. No office would put up with that shit.

irishjayhawk 07-02-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6853836)
It doesn't sound blasphemic to me.

Die in a fire if you don't find it funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 6853962)
I've heard good things about Big Bang Theory, but I just can't bring myself to watch anything that was "recorded in front of a live studio audience." Laugh-tracks have made me want to rip off my ears and use them to gouge out my eyes since they started using them in the old Scooby Doo cartoons.

They aren't. One of their slides after the show explicitly explains this. They record the episode and then dub a laugh track specific to each episode by screening the episode to some fans. All of them are different.

That said, I agree re laugh tracks.

tk13 07-02-2010 11:47 PM

I thought there was a stretch of 4-5 episodes late in the season where The Office had a real good streak. But I don't think they were ever going to match seasons 2-3... those were two of the best seasons by a comedy, ever. Theoretically you could replace Carrell... but it'd be like replacing Sam on Cheers... just hard to imagine.

I haven't hardly watched enough of Parks and Rec... I've tried catching on to the end of this season of Community. I think it's hit and miss. But when it hits it's pretty good. Although I think they got carried away in the finale.

007 07-03-2010 12:55 AM

Why can't this show just die a in a fire?

Red Brooklyn 07-04-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6856798)

It tried.

Dwight set the fire.

Stanley had a heart attack.

It was a whole mess.

Baby Lee 07-04-2010 09:38 AM

It's occasionally stupid [Michael using GPS to drive into a lake], occasionally brilliant [Stanley's pushups], but mostly by now, it's just a bunch of people it's fun to hang out with for 1/2 hour a week. Doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, just give us the characters, and a couple chuckles.

Baby Lee 07-04-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6858595)
It tried.

Dwight set the fire.

Stanley had a heart attack.

It was a whole mess.

RB, if you would weigh in when appropriate if watching AD with adjusted expectations helped I'd appreciate it.

No hurry, no worries. :thumb:

BigMeatballDave 07-05-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6856798)

Blasphemy! For that remark, you shall die in a fire...:)

Buck 07-05-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849554)
This is best served in this thread, seeing as I have hijacked this thread and turned it into a thread about how I am better at watching TV than all of you. :D

Funny bits and pieces? WTF do you laugh at? No other comedy makes me laugh as much as AD. The tightness of the writing is unlike anything I've ever seen on another comedy. Nothing is introduced that won't become part of a joke later. The show builds upon its own mythology by doing callback jokes all over the place. All the comedies from the last half of the 2000's that I love are united in their ability to rip off Arrested Development over and over again. It is the show that all other comedies wish they were. I can't say a single bad thing about it.

And thats why you never should put trust in Fox.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object/4...9835_22563.jpg