ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Steve Carrell leaving 'The Office' after next season. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230042)

HC_Chief 06-29-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6849151)
The show has run its course. The only reason I still watch it is because it's on before 30 Rock.

This.
30 Rock is hilarious

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6849681)
Only if Portia di Rossi plays the same character she played in Better Off Ted.

Ooooh. That could be really interesting. I kinda like that.

DJ's left nut 06-29-2010 02:27 PM

It would definitely create a different dynamic, but still revolve around a boss that's pretty easy to hate.

That way the boss is far enough removed from Michael so as to not seem like an 'imposter' but still serves the purpose of the character (i.e. common enemy).

mlyonsd 06-29-2010 02:31 PM

I agree the show has run it's course.

Big Bang is moving to Thursdays so I'll be watching that. Funniest show on tv.

CoMoChief 06-29-2010 02:32 PM

Todd Packard:

"Hey Halpert......STILL QUEER?!?!"

ROFL

Reaper16 06-29-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849638)
:)

I don't know. Maybe it's just where I'm at in life, but I get tired of excessively rich people whining. I don't care if the joke's on them. It annoys the piss out of me and is rarely funny. I do love Bateman, though.

Those whining rich people are, all of them (except for maybe Michael and George Michael), depicted in an extremely brutal, disparaging light. We're supposed to laugh at how pathetic these people are; they are totally unsympathetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6849681)
Only if Portia di Rossi plays the same character she played in Better Off Ted.

Exactly. A similar role would work great.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849767)
Those whining rich people are, all of them (except for maybe Michael and George Michael), depicted in an extremely brutal, disparaging light. We're supposed to laugh at how pathetic these people are; they are totally unsympathetic.

Totally. I get that. But it doesn't work for me. They're so abnoxious and unsympathetic and irritating that it doesn't make me want to unite against them - even in laughter - it just makes me say "who gives a shit" and change the channel.

But, obviously, I'm in the minority. Most everyone I know loves AD with a passion. But for my tastes, I think The Office, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia and Family Guy are all smarter/funnier shows. So far. I'll see if I can ever get around to finishing S1 and see how I feel.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6849730)
It would definitely create a different dynamic, but still revolve around a boss that's pretty easy to hate.

That way the boss is far enough removed from Michael so as to not seem like an 'imposter' but still serves the purpose of the character (i.e. common enemy).

Bingo.

Reaper16 06-29-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849791)
Totally. I get that. But it doesn't work for me. They're so abnoxious and unsympathetic and irritating that it doesn't make me want to unite against them - even in laughter - it just makes me say "who gives a shit" and change the channel.

But, obviously, I'm in the minority. Most everyone I know loves AD with a passion. But for my tastes, I think The Office, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia and Family Guy are all smarter/funnier shows. So far. I'll see if I can ever get around to finishing S1 and see how I feel.

I'm growing sadder each time you post. :( Seriously, if Spain hadn't just won against Portugal I might have put you on ignore out of an emotional reaction to today's CP Worst Statement of the Day: that Family Guy is smarter/funnier than Arrested Development.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849809)
I'm growing sadder each time you post. :(

:cuss:

Red Brooklyn 06-30-2010 11:28 AM

Maybe this is just stupid... but.... now, just think about it for a minute, okay... don't just dismiss this outright, okay... but... what if Ricky Gervais steps in to replace Michael Scott?

Baby Lee 06-30-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849791)

Then just enjoy it for the scripted visual and sementical puns.

The two Sunday Brunches on the Show are Skip Church's and Miss Temple's.

Or the time GOB bought a boat with company money and names it The Seaward. Michael scolds him and tells him he has to sell it as the company needs that money. Conversation ends with Michael yelling 'get rid of The Seaward,' only to reveal Mother standing behind them . . "I'm standing right here Michael" ROFL ROFL

The appeal of AD is that it just goes for the funny, and goes at it from every angle. Stupid puns, visuals, voiceovers [the sublime episode where Opie Cunningham keeps railing about how a competing show's voiceover guy is a hack], long form gags, recurring gags, gags that refer to real life [the juxtaposing of Theron's lovable character with a still of her role in Monster], gags that don't show themselves until repeated viewing [in the scene immediately prior to Buster losing his arm to a seal, he's sitting on a park bench advertising Army Officer Training, only Busters sitting just so that the bench reads 'Arm Off']

To this day, I can't think of the whole baseball/sex analogy without thinking of what George Jr. and Maebe did and the quick cutaway of Pete Rose sliding into third and giggling.

irishjayhawk 06-30-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849534)
:)

Sorry, man. I thought you might be.

To be fair, I haven't made it through all of Season One yet. And there are funny bits and pieces, but I don't get the overall appeal. I don't know what I'm missing. It just seems so whiney and arrogent and worn... I don't know... perhaps this is best served in another thread...

COME ON! /GOB

doomy3 06-30-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849155)
Only reason I still watch it is because it comes on right after the best comedy on TV last year, Parks and Recreation (which itself comes on after the best new comedy of last year, Community).

Rep.

****ing LOVE Parks and Rec.

I do disagree about the first part of your post though, as I still love The Office as well.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-30-2010 11:42 PM

The Big Bang Theory is awful television