ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Steve Carrell leaving 'The Office' after next season. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230042)

BigMeatballDave 06-29-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849205)
You are an awful person who lacks the mental faculties required to assess television shows. I can accept people who don't care for Community because of its pop culture-heavy jokes (though those people ignore how natural the characters are). But you would be proven demonstrably stupid if you think that 30 Rock's series-worst fourth season was good enough to be in the same universe of quality as the second season of Parks and Recreation, let alone be better than it.

Community and 30Rock are Ok. Not even close to The Office. Hell, I like Big Bang Theory better.

Huffmeister 06-29-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849526)
Do you think that - if the internet had been around - there would have been discussions like this when Diane left Cheers?

Lol, and people talking about how the last season of ALF was better than the season before, but that Diff'rent Strokes has really lost its burst since they brought in the little red-head kid.

Reaper16 06-29-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6849535)
Community and 30Rock are Ok. Not even close to The Office. Hell, I like Big Bang Theory better.

I hate human beings.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6849535)

30 Rock is really growing on me. It took a while to creep in, but it's a solid show. Some of the humor is a bit obvious and repetative. But when it hits, it gets bigger belly laughs from me than almot anything else out there.

I only saw Community once. It didn't really do much for me. Certainly didn't make me want to tune in again. But I didn't hate it.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 6849539)
Lol, and people talking about how the last season of ALF was better than the season before, but that Diff'rent Strokes has really lost its burst since they brought in the little red-head kid.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave 06-29-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849528)

Because you are a rube.

:rolleyes:

BigMeatballDave 06-29-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849540)
I hate human beings.

I hate douchebags with stupid usernames like Reaper...

Reaper16 06-29-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849534)
:)

Sorry, man. I thought you might be.

To be fair, I haven't made it through all of Season One yet. And there are funny bits and pieces, but I don't get the overall appeal. I don't know what I'm missing. It just seems so whiney and arrogent and worn... I don't know... perhaps this is best served in another thread...

This is best served in this thread, seeing as I have hijacked this thread and turned it into a thread about how I am better at watching TV than all of you. :D

Funny bits and pieces? WTF do you laugh at? No other comedy makes me laugh as much as AD. The tightness of the writing is unlike anything I've ever seen on another comedy. Nothing is introduced that won't become part of a joke later. The show builds upon its own mythology by doing callback jokes all over the place. All the comedies from the last half of the 2000's that I love are united in their ability to rip off Arrested Development over and over again. It is the show that all other comedies wish they were. I can't say a single bad thing about it.

Reaper16 06-29-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6849551)
I hate douchebags with stupid usernames like Reaper...

Good. You don't deserve to like me.

Saulbadguy 06-29-2010 01:25 PM

Never watched Parks & Rec,I don't care for Amy Poehler (sp?). Watched Community once and didn't really care for it even though I like Joel McHale (sp?). Love the Office, but I find myself constantly watching seasons 2 and 3 re-runs, and only watching the episodes from the later seasons once.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849554)
This is best served in this thread, seeing as I have hijacked this thread and turned it into a thread about how I am better at watching TV than all of you. :D

Funny bits and pieces? WTF do you laugh at? No other comedy makes me laugh as much as AD. The tightness of the writing is unlike anything I've ever seen on another comedy. Nothing is introduced that won't become part of a joke later. The show builds upon its own mythology by doing callback jokes all over the place. All the comedies from the last half of the 2000's that I love are united in their ability to rip off Arrested Development over and over again. It is the show that all other comedies wish they were. I can't say a single bad thing about it.

:)

I don't know. Maybe it's just where I'm at in life, but I get tired of excessively rich people whining. I don't care if the joke's on them. It annoys the piss out of me and is rarely funny. I do love Bateman, though.

Also, I tend to love running jokes when they come from characters - like Michael Scott's "that's what she said" (though, to be fair the joy of that joke is how sparcely it's employed and the timing of when it is). But on the whole, I don't like running jokes as a device. I much prefer the manipluation of language.

Also, anytime someone runs into something. I can't help it. That's funny, funny shit. Best example: the dude in Ed Wood who can't get through the door and smacks right into the flat. He growls as you see the shitty set waver back and forth. Hilarious.

CosmicPal 06-29-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849526)
Do you think that - if the internet had been around - there would have been discussions like this when Diane left Cheers?

I've always wondered what the discussions would've been like for a show like WKRP in Cincinnati and how people would have canonized the show for the songs they played that night, or an argument between which chick was the hottest: Bailey Quarters or Jennifer Marlowe?

Too bad the *****ing record companies can't get their rights together and get that series on DVD with the original music. That was a great show.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 6849643)
I've always wondered what the discussions would've been like for a show like WKRP in Cincinnati and how people would have canonized the show for the songs they played that night, or an argument between which chick was the hottest: Bailey Quarters or Jennifer Marlowe?

Too bad the *****ing record companies can't get their rights together and get that series on DVD with the original music. That was a great show.

It was a bit before my time. But used to watch re-runs on Nic-at-Nite, and really enjoyed it. I'd love to see the series front to back one of these days.

DJ's left nut 06-29-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849046)
Two off-the-wall suggestions I heard on the internets yesterday were Michael Emerson and Portia di Rossi. Either would be kind of brilliant moves.

Only if Portia di Rossi plays the same character she played in Better Off Ted.

Veronica was one of the best characters around...stupid ABC. I have no idea why they cancelled that show.

Omaha 06-29-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6849681)
Only if Portia di Rossi plays the same character she played in Better Off Ted.

Veronica was one of the best characters around...stupid ABC. I have no idea why they cancelled that show.

I'm with you. That show was hilarious.