ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Steve Carrell leaving 'The Office' after next season. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230042)

Reaper16 06-29-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6849223)
I'm assessing them quite well. Community won't be around much longer, and Parks and Rec is a very average television sitcom. There's only so far you can go with a show about a dumb blonde and jokes about her being a dumb blonde and the zany situations dumb blondes get into. It's really not any better than the played out Steve Carell character on The Office.

That description does not fit the show at all. At all. You didn't watch the second season, did you? I don't blame you; the first season was as poor as The Office's first season. But, like The Office, the show took an enormous leap in quality in its second season.

As for Community's quality being connected to how long it stays on air, well, that is a fallacious line of reasoning. 30 Rock wouldn't be on the air if it weren't for it airing right after The Office (a claim backed up by 30 Rock's dreadful ratings in the few times when it didn't have an Office lead-in).

Fritz88 06-29-2010 10:33 AM

Without him and Andrew then the office is nothing. They need to find a solid replacement.

arrowheadnation 06-29-2010 11:12 AM

They had a good story going with Angela being the office slore but then they just dropped it altogether.

CosmicPal 06-29-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 6849166)
I'm not entertained by "The Office" anymore.... all of the characters have run stale.

My new show of love is "The Big Bang Theory".

This.

The Office was one of the funniest shows for awhile, but it's become rather tedious and annoying. I just find myself yelling at Michael to stop being such an douchebag sometimes. At first, it was funny, now it's like you want to kidnap him and drive him to the nearest mental hospital and get rid of him for good. The show's been on too long- time to kill it.

The Big Bang Theory is funny and entertaining as hell. However, I'm wondering if I'll just get tired of that neurotic character pretty soon too.

Lex Luthor 06-29-2010 11:29 AM

It sounds like it's time for Ted McGinley to join the cast.

CoMoChief 06-29-2010 11:46 AM

They should hire Todd Packard.

I ****ing love that guy (David koechner) I think his name is.

chiefsnorth 06-29-2010 12:02 PM

I didn't know Parks and Rec was still on the air... I thought it was horrible.

Is it passing into the realm of unfunny shows the fans say detractors are too unsophisticated to appreciate?

For the Office, I felt the show wound up its productive run with the engagement. Nothing after was especially good, I thought.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 12:09 PM

This last season of The Office was by far the most tedious and uneven in the show's history. It was stop and go with more discomfort than laughs in between. Uncomfortable humor can be very funny and successful but it has to have perfect aim. The Office (as much as I hate to say it) was off the mark most of last season.

... HOWEVER. From the Christmas episode until the last two of the season, The Office was on fire. It was almost as good as it's ever been in that stretch. The show still has gas in the tank.

Do I think it should end with Carell? Yes. I do. But since it looks like that won't happen, I hope they make a smart move and do exactly as the article says. It's not about replacing Michael Scott with an impersonator or look/act-alike.

I'm not sure who the answer is... but I'll be damned if Michael Emerson wouldn't shake things up and rock the **** outta that show. :) Of course, I'd rather he and O'Quinn get their hitman show together.

This is do-able, if unwise. It will be difficult. But NBC has a chance to reinvent the show and hit a grand slam here.

Reaper16 06-29-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsnorth (Post 6849429)
I didn't know Parks and Rec was still on the air... I thought it was horrible.

Is it passing into the realm of unfunny shows the fans say detractors are too unsophisticated to appreciate?

No. It is legitimately amazing now. Not only was season 2 of P&R unequivocally the best season of comedy last TV season, it was, IMO, the single best season of comedy since Arrested Development.

If you didn't watch Parks & Rec season 2 then watch it. Now. You don't need to have seen season one, you can just pick up with season two.

Sure-Oz 06-29-2010 12:55 PM

Hopefully they end the show in style, and goes out well if it ends. if they replace michael i hope its solid and the stories get better

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849508)
No. It is legitimately amazing now. Not only was season 2 of P&R unequivocally the best season of comedy last TV season, it was, IMO, the single best season of comedy since Arrested Development.

I've never understood the love that Arrested Development gets.

Only seen one episode of P&R. Liked it. A lot.

BigMeatballDave 06-29-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849508)

If you didn't watch Parks & Rec season 2 then watch it. Now. You don't need to have seen season one, you can just pick up with season two.

I've tried several times to get into this show, I just can't, not sure why. Something's missing. It just doesnt come across as a can't-miss comedy like The Office.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:01 PM

Do you think that - if the internet had been around - there would have been discussions like this when Diane left Cheers?

Reaper16 06-29-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6849524)
I've never understood the love that Arrested Development gets.

Wow. I'm speechless at that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6849525)
I've tried several times to get into this show, I just can't, not sure why. Something's missing. It just doesnt come across as a can't-miss comedy like The Office.

Because you are a rube.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6849528)
Wow. I'm speechless at that one.

:)

Sorry, man. I thought you might be.

To be fair, I haven't made it through all of Season One yet. And there are funny bits and pieces, but I don't get the overall appeal. I don't know what I'm missing. It just seems so whiney and arrogent and worn... I don't know... perhaps this is best served in another thread...