ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life This Day in History (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=199589)

Amnorix 01-01-2009 10:36 PM

This Day in History

Today...

Amnorix 01-01-2009 10:36 PM

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> January 1. On January 1, 1863, Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation took effect in the states of the <st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region> that had seceded to form the Confederate States of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>America</st1></st1:country-region>. Issued under his authority as Commander in Chief, the Emancipation Proclamation initially had the unusual effect of freeing only those slaves that were in states that the <st1>Union</st1> did not control. The Union slave-holding <st1:state w:st="on">border states</st1:state>, <st1:state w:st="on">Kentucky</st1:state>, <st1:state w:st="on">Missouri</st1:state>, <st1:state w:st="on">Maryland</st1:state>, <st1:state w:st="on">West Virginia</st1:state> and <st1:state w:st="on"><st1>Delaware</st1></st1:state>, were not initially effected by the proclamation.
<o></o>
Slavery was not completely abolished in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>United States</st1></st1:country-region> until the ratification of the 13<sup>th</sup> Amendment, in December, 1865.

Amnorix 01-01-2009 11:39 PM

January 2. On January 2, 533, one Mercurius was elevated to Pope, and took the name Pope John II. Mercurius, born in Rome, was named after the old Roman God of Mercury. An obviously inappropriate name for a Catholic Pope, he changed it to John II upon elevation to the papacy.

He was thus the first person to change his name upon being elevated to Pope.

blueballs 01-02-2009 01:55 AM

This new years resolution
will leave a good looking corpse

ClevelandBronco 01-02-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 5348541)
Today...

I think you should keep this going, Amnorix.

Adept Havelock 01-02-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 5348842)

Yep, good idea.

Donger 01-02-2009 10:28 AM

Stealing from William Bennett? Naughty history geek. Naughty!

Johnny Vegas 01-02-2009 10:29 AM

on Jan. 1st 1953 Hank Williams Sr.(29) was found dead in the back of his car.

Rain Man 01-02-2009 10:32 AM

What are the rules here? Will Amnorix post, or anyone who's interested? And is the post the one most significant event of the day, or the oddest, or a mere random selection?

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 5349374)
Stealing from William Bennett? Naughty history geek. Naughty!

In all seriousness, I have no idea what you're referring to. I would never claim that this is an original idea, however. I'm sure others have done it in many, many ways.

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5349393)
What are the rules here? Will Amnorix post, or anyone who's interested? And is the post the one most significant event of the day, or the oddest, or a mere random selection?

No rules. I'm posting one interesting historical event for each day. I will generally try to post events of true historical significance or odd interest, not useless factoids about movie stars or whatever.

Whether others wish to comment or them, or not, or post other factoids, is obviously up to them.

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:09 PM

Oh, and P.S., I'm in the Eastern Time Zone, so I may post such facts after midnight here, but before midnight in KC. C'est la vie. :shrug:

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 5348842)

Thanks. That's the plan at least. :D

MIAdragon 01-02-2009 11:21 PM

On January 3rd of 1973 CBS sells the Yankees to Steinbrenner aswell as minority owners that contributed a total of $10 million. CBS reportedly took a loss on the transaction. Steinbrenner said that he would not be that involved in the Yankees organized and would mostly be focusing on his ship building business. A business that would later file for bankruptcy in 1993.

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:25 PM

January 3. The Meiji Restoration in Japan was completed on January 3, 1868. The Meiji Restoration is the name typically given to the period in which the Tokugawa Shogunate, which had effectively ruled Japan since 1603, was overthrown and the Emperor restored to supreme power in Japan.

The restoration of Imperial power and the oligarchy that replaced the former individual-specific Shoguns paved the path to the end of the Samurai class and a feudal structure, the adoption of a capitalist economy, and the industrialization and modernization of Japan and its rise to status of world power.