ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Star Wars: The Old Republic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204523)

kcxiv 08-30-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7864382)
I think that's pretty normal for gamers these days. MMOs stopped being "MMORPG"s years ago, and I don't think the console market (which is by far the focus of game development now) has ever had any kind of focus on immersion in the roleplaying sense, even in the console RPG market, with their predominantly eastern (as in asian) influence. Everything is focused on min-maxing.

Even back in EQ days dudes would play Females characters ALLL the time. Sometimes, it got creeepy as ****. OOh some stories i know. lol

Ever since the HTML chat days my motto is everyone is Male. lol

keg in kc 08-30-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7864394)
Even back in EQ days dudes would play Females characters ALLL the time. Sometimes, it got creeepy as ****. OOh some stories i know. lol

There were tons of women in lotro. Like to the point that it was beyond belief. I remember meeting one girl in EQ (from cali, an asian chick I nearly left my fiance for. she was hot. i actually met her IRL). I don't think I ever met any in WoW, which I played 2 years, but in lotro, there were literally dozens and dozens.

The advantage of vent is that you basically know who you're dealing with...

(although to this day, I still hate being on voicechat)

NewChief 08-30-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7864394)

Same thing in the mudding world. Oh man, the drama that would ensue when it would be discovered that some slut who had been mudsexing half the dudes in the game was discovered to be a dude in real life.

ROFL

There's a reason I stayed away from that side of gaming.

Pants 08-30-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7864426)
There were tons of women in lotro. Like to the point that it was beyond belief. I remember meeting one girl in EQ (from cali, an asian chick I nearly left my fiance for. she was hot. i actually met her IRL). I don't think I ever met any in WoW, which I played 2 years, but in lotro, there were literally dozens and dozens.

We had like 7 girls in my WoW guild (1 of them was the wife of a male guild member). There was one super hot asian who played as a Gnome female mage, interestingly enough (as opposed to Night Elf).

keg in kc 08-30-2011 05:37 PM

Sweet, I just got my email for the first testing weekend. I'm in from Sept 2 - 5.

keg in kc 08-30-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7864452)
We had like 7 girls in my WoW guild (1 of them was the wife of a male guild member). There was one super hot asian who played as a Gnome female mage, interestingly enough (as opposed to Night Elf).

I still remember the chick from EQ. Her name was Rebecca. Her character was Dark Elf cleric. I actually flew out to Redding, California to meet her.

She was married, though, with a toddler, and I just couldn't pull the trigger with a married chick. I've had second thoughts about that weekend about 6 trillion times the last 12 years. Wonder what would have happened if I'd said the hell with my stupid morality and left the fiance for good. She (Rebecca) was just about as close to perfect for me taste wise. Asian, dyed hair (purple at the time), a few piercings, very smart, used to spend hours and hours talking to her.

I've done so much stupid shit with chicks online, half of them from games. I should write a book. LMAO

keg in kc 08-30-2011 05:58 PM

I'm like in shock right now. I can't believe I get to play this this weekend. Didn't think there was any way I was going to get in.

Huffmeister 08-30-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7864539)
I'm like in shock right now. I can't believe I get to play this this weekend. Didn't think there was any way I was going to get in.

Nice :thumb: Did they mention an NDA? If so, will you break it? :D

Raiderhater58 08-31-2011 04:02 AM

MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls :)

and congrats on getting in even if its only for the weekend. Im loving the game havent been able to play it as much as would like, Im still doing my "class quests" on a couple characters but so far what Ive seen is awesome.

kcxiv 08-31-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7864426)

I only hate Voice chat because there is always 1 or 2 people that like to talk over everyone or just try to be the funny guy and it gets annoying as hell. lol

But yeah, i never met anyone from EQ, but i did in them old HTML chat days. lol I had this chick travel from Virginia to cali in a bus i aint even lying. haha. It was cool for a few weeks then said gotta get to scootin girl. haha Tho i paid for it, the least i could do. haha

But i knew this dude, he was cool as ****. WE used to group together in EQ after raids. Farming gear, getting some AA's. Well, he fell in love with some chick (so he thought). Once that person told him the truth (dude/fake chick was gay of course) dude almost lost it. I was worried for his wellbeing. Thats some ****ed up shit to be lied to like that. For some people its very easy to fall for folks. He quit eq and i didnt see him for like a year, he came back after a bit for a little while, but he never played the same again. lol

kcxiv 08-31-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7864446)
Same thing in the mudding world. Oh man, the drama that would ensue when it would be discovered that some slut who had been mudsexing half the dudes in the game was discovered to be a dude in real life.

ROFL

There's a reason I stayed away from that side of gaming.

yeah, like i said in my previous post. Some people will ****ing try to make people fall in love then hope that other person doesnt care they are the same ****ing sex. That shit is just wrong wrong wrong. lol, before i even ever flirted with any chick "supposed" chick in game, i was liek yoru ass needs to get on webcam and show me your a chick. haha (some did) haha

keg in kc 08-31-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7865412)
Nice :thumb: Did they mention an NDA? If so, will you break it? :D

Well, I can tell you that there is a test, and I'm in it...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhater58 (Post 7865599)
and congrats on getting in even if its only for the weekend. Im loving the game havent been able to play it as much as would like, Im still doing my "class quests" on a couple characters but so far what Ive seen is awesome.

I'm gonna try to get as much done as I can on maybe 4 classes. I can't imagine it will be a whole lot, as slow as the leveling supposedly is. Maybe get an early sense of class balance and see how many bugs I can find (which probably won't be anything new, since the early game stuff has been the most-tested).

Barret 08-31-2011 09:31 AM

@Keg: What are your system specs if you don't mind me asking? Trying to figure out what the holy grail is for being accepted to the beta weekend. I did the pre-order thing so I know I am in that.

Congrats by the way.

keg in kc 08-31-2011 09:39 AM

They removed system specs from the beta sign-up page back in July, and I believe invites for these beta weekends are random.

keg in kc 08-31-2011 01:20 PM

Found a really good review on the official forum from a person who attended PAX with a group of his friends, and how their impression of the game changed after they played it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=460703

A few snippets:
Quote:

Prior to going to PAX I had scoured the internet for all things TOR in the hopes of finding some little “tid-bit” of information I may have missed. This devouring of information really spiked when I started seeing quite a few reviews, and nearly insurmountable comments and posts on the internet alluding to some fore-gone conclusion that SWToR might not be what we had hoped; and indeed that it may not do well at all.

I found the prevailing dissent disturbing. I couldn't believe that so many people who have never played the game had such a negative opinion of it and that so many websites that had done previews of the game spoke so blandly of the combat and interface (among other things).

The basic consensus growing, it seemed, was that the game would be "good" but wouldn't "revolutionize" the MMO genre in any way.

In fact my girlfriend even reflected this view stating, "I just think GW2 looks more fun to play. Look at all the videos...GW2 combat just looks like more fun." She also thought that SWToR looked too "cartoony" and too much "...like WoW...”
He then goes on in great detail to lay out his impressions of the story and the voiceover, the graphics and animation and the combat, and then gives brief impressions from four other people (hint: they all really liked it. Including his girlfriend.)

It's a really big and intimidating wall of text style post, but the guy did a good job with it.

Huffmeister 09-04-2011 10:07 AM

For those of you in the beta, are there any impressions you can give that won't violate the NDA? Good, bad, mediocre?

Bowser 09-04-2011 10:22 AM

I'm betting Keg hasn't slept in 36 hours and is all jacked up on Monster drinks right about now.....

Fish 09-04-2011 10:39 AM

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/671...5v64339705.jpg

keg in kc 09-04-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7878260)
I'm betting Keg hasn't slept in 36 hours and is all jacked up on Monster drinks right about now.....

You would not be far off with that prediction. Except it's Dr. Pepper Cherry.

Unfortunately I'm under the NDA so I'm not allowed to say anything beyond 'there's a test' and 'i'm in said test'.

But speaking hypothetically, if someone, not me of course, had played, let's say, 30 hours out of the last 42, you could, theoretically, take that as a sign that they liked it. A lot.

Bowser 09-04-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7878310)

Unfortunately I'm under the NDA so I'm not allowed to say anything beyond 'there's a test' and 'i'm in said test'.

But speaking hypothetically, if someone, not me of course, had played, let's say, 30 hours out of the last 42, you could, theoretically, take that as a sign that they liked it. A lot.

Heh. Glad you like it. Hypothetically, if you were to have played it.....

Saulbadguy 09-04-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7878310)

Reported.

Stanley Nickels 09-04-2011 07:59 PM

keg, I'm in the same boat. Very, very good.

God of Thunder 09-06-2011 07:19 AM

So what class is everyone thinking of doing? I think I am going bounty hunter........and i've already got a name in mind (!)

keg in kc 09-06-2011 08:00 AM

I'm suffering the worst video game withdrawal I've ever had in my life this morning.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dipshit of Dunder (Post 7881485)
So what class is everyone thinking of doing? I think I am going bounty hunter........and i've already got a name in mind (!)

Bounty Hunter/Mercenary is very, very cool. So I've heard.

So is Smuggler/Gunslinger. Purportedly.

I've had a Consular planned as my main since the game was announced, and that hasn't changed. My intention, however, has always been to start with another class to get my feet wet, and that will I think be Smuggler. On the Imperial side, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, and that will probably be further down the line (my guild is Republic...).

I'm going to eventually play all 8 classes, though. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

keg in kc 09-09-2011 04:02 PM

Yummy.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/up9crByjT8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bowser 09-09-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7890734)
Yummy.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/up9crByjT8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ha, nice nod to Indy at the one minute mark.....

Silock 09-09-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dipshit of Dunder (Post 7881485)

Jedi healer. Whatever class that is. Consular, I think? I dunno . . . keg?

keg in kc 09-10-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7890855)
Jedi healer. Whatever class that is. Consular, I think? I dunno . . . keg?

Consular advanced class Sage if you want to be the more traditional MMO-style healer. i.e. a large regenerating force pool, ability to use a wide variety of buffs and heals. You can also heal as both a Trooper (Commando) and a Smuggler (Scoundrel), though, although it's a bit different healing on those since they use each class' own cooldown systems (Ammo and Energy) rather than a force pool. I'm not sure how viable Trooper and Smuggler will be in a main healing role, and I get the impression they're still working on implementation there. Either way, if you want to be a Jedi healer, then you're talking Jedi Sage.

The cool thing about healing sounds like you'll be able to do a lot more than just sit there and repeat 'heal 1, heal 2, bubble, HoT, heal 1 heal 2' ad nausem. Supposedly you're able to mix in a lot more variety, tossing in damage skills or debuffs between heals. Should break up the monotony/tedium a good bit. And healers are viable soloing both because they're not completely gimped in a dps sense, and due to the companion system. So getting through your class story and through the world arcs won't require you to group, or to build your class a certain way as you level up and then change your build for endgame (although you obviously can if you want...). The impression I get is that the game is extremely soloable, although there are pretty clear benefits and advantages to grouping, namely xp and loot, and they give you group-focused content starting very early in the game, right on the starter planets, and the first 4-man flashpoint takes place in the level 8-10 range.

God of Thunder 09-10-2011 07:40 PM

ugh, why still no release date....

Pants 09-10-2011 07:54 PM

Pre-ordered this the other day. Thought long and hard about the CE but decided it wasn't worth it. EA was talking about limiting the supply to ensure a smooth game launch. You know the game is going to be selling for $150 on eBay when it comes out.

keg in kc 09-10-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dipshit of Dunder (Post 7893406)
ugh, why still no release date....

You don't generally see a release date announcement for an MMO until a few weeks (usually 3-4) before launch. They don't want to tip their hand to the established market, especially the 400-pound gorilla, who will likely announce a major content patch as soon as the release date's made official.

I don't think with a major build being put on the TOR test server beginning this upcoming week (a process they say could take 2-3 weeks) there's any real chance at an October launch, although that's what I'd been hoping for.

It's hard to make a specific guess without knowing how much of a head start they're doing, but I think it's possible the new client is a release candidate they're testing. And I think if that's the case that they could go live in the first half of November. Beyond that, you'd think they'd want to have the game on the shelves for Black Friday (Nov. 25th). All of which would fit into their official "Holiday 2011" release window.

I can't talk any specifics from my test, but let's say based on nothing but my gut (cough) I would be a little surprised to see the launch pushed to 2012. Which of course doesn't mean that won't happen.

Pants 09-10-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7893496)
You don't generally see a release date announcement for an MMO until a few weeks (usually 3-4) before launch. They don't want to tip their hand to the established market, especially the 400-pound gorilla, who will likely announce a major content patch as soon as the release date's made official.

I don't think with a major build being put on the TOR test server beginning this upcoming week (a process they say could take 2-3 weeks) there's any real chance at an October launch, although that's what I'd been hoping for.

It's hard to make a specific guess without knowing how much of a head start they're doing, but I think it's possible the new client is a release candidate they're testing. And I think if that's the case that they could go live in the first half of November. Beyond that, you'd think they'd want to have the game on the shelves for Black Friday (Nov. 25th). All of which would fit into their official "Holiday 2011" release window.

I can't talk any specifics from my test, but let's say based on nothing but my gut (cough) I would be a little surprised to see the launch pushed to 2012. Which of course doesn't mean that won't happen.

I read a recent article somewhere that mentioned there's a good chance TOR would be pushed back all the way to January. Wish I remembered where I saw that.

keg in kc 09-10-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7893525)
I read a recent article somewhere that mentioned there's a good chance TOR would be pushed back all the way to January. Wish I remembered where I saw that.

Without knowing which article it was, I can't really comment, but I saw a couple this week reacting to a mention of a 2012 push made by an EA bigwig during a speech at a conference last week. Which is actually something EA's been consistently saying since an investor teleconference in May. There's probably even a mention of it in this thread somewhere. So that's not new news in any real way...

Fish 09-12-2011 07:22 PM

Gunslinger sounds interesting to me... And I want a wookie like no other...

keg in kc 09-12-2011 07:55 PM

Bowdaar!

keg in kc 09-13-2011 07:39 PM

There may well not be anything to this, but apparently internally as of the last couple of days Gamestop has changed the speculated release date for TOR from 1/2/12 to 11/22/11, and pre-order displays have started going up in stores all over the country.

Silock 09-14-2011 12:29 AM

My wife said she wanted to play this game with me. Looks like I'll be quitting WoW.

Pants 09-14-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7907395)
My wife said she wanted to play this game with me. Looks like I'll be quitting WoW.

God, that's so awesome... I'm trying to convince mine but I don't think it's happening. :/

keg in kc 09-14-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7907642)
God, that's so awesome... I'm trying to convince mine but I don't think it's happening.

Does she game at all? If she's ever been into any BioWare titles all it will take to hook her is getting her to watch for 10 minutes. It's basically kotor and ME2 melded together with the possibility for coop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7907395)

It'll be interesting to see how long-time WoW players react. I don't think you're going to see anything you haven't seen before in terms of gameplay, other than the main selling point, which is the story and cinematics. It's not WoW reskinned, or anything like that, but it is a very traditional cRPG and a very traditional MMO. It will feel very familiar in a lot of ways. And as far as story goes, I think I remember you saying one time that you never really cared about your avatars in games in the past, so it may be a hard sell to get you to follow a story, instead of focusing on the grind to the cap.

I've heard a lot of WoW players say they can't go back to WoW after playing TOR, that the game feels dead to them after experiencing the cinematics, and that they were surprised by how much the story really did grab them. But I have heard some negative reactions as well. Although there have been (much) less of those than the other.

And the endgame at this point is still a question mark. Which is I think going to be very important. The leveling is not fast in TOR. I don't expect that even the fastest levelers (and those would have to be people from beta, or who know people from beta) will get to the cap in much less than two weeks. But I do think a lot of people will reach it in 4-6 weeks. And it remains to be seen what they'll be able to do then. I'll know I'll be moving on to other toons (well, I'll actually be playing several simultaneously straight from launch) but I'm not sure how easy it will be for Bioware to get people schooled in previous MMOs to not think of rerolling as playing the same game over again. It's not, not in ToR, particularly if you play different factions, but I don't know how you get people of think of it like playing a completely different game (which it is when you play Republic as opposed to Empire, and vice versa) instead of playing the same game over again. So if you can't get them to reroll you get people sitting a month or two months after launch wondering "okay, that was fun, what now?"

We know there will be the one Operation (and they say it's the first indicating more are coming), that there are level 50 flashpoints, it's rumored that the lower level flashpoints can be run heroic at level 50, 3 Warzones, open world PvP, level 50 solo content and daily repeatable heroic quests, and I do think that's enough to occupy people (who don't reroll) for 3-6 months, but I also think they'll need to start updating with new content by at least 6 months in. I know for me there's enough game at launch to probably last an entire year, but I think they also need to think in terms of people who won't want to jump into another story right away. We'll see what they do.

This is kind of a tough post for me to make when on one hand I'm trying to limit your expectations but on the other hand, my own expectations for the game are clearly out the roof...

Pants 09-14-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907697)
Does she game at all? If she's ever been into any BioWare titles all it will take to hook her is getting her to watch for 10 minutes. It's basically kotor and ME2 melded together with the possibility for coop.It'll be interesting to see how long-time WoW players react. I don't think you're going to see anything you haven't seen before in terms of gameplay, other than the main selling point, which is the story and cinematics. It's not WoW reskinned, or anything like that, but it is a very traditional cRPG and a very traditional MMO. It will feel very familiar in a lot of ways. And as far as story goes, I think I remember you saying one time that you never really cared about your avatars in games in the past, so it may be a hard sell to get you to follow a story, instead of focusing on the grind to the cap.

I've heard a lot of WoW players say they can't go back to WoW after playing TOR, that the game feels dead to them after experiencing the cinematics, and that they were surprised by how much the story really did grab them. But I have heard some negative reactions as well. Although there have been (much) less of those than the other.

And the endgame at this point is still a question mark. Which is I think going to be very important. The leveling is not fast in TOR. I don't expect that even the fastest levelers (and those would have to be people from beta, or who know people from beta) will get to the cap in much less than two weeks. But I do think a lot of people will reach it in 4-6 weeks. And it remains to be seen what they'll be able to do then. I'll know I'll be moving on to other toons (well, I'll actually be playing several simultaneously straight from launch) but I'm not sure how easy it will be for Bioware to get people schooled in previous MMOs to not think of rerolling as playing the same game over again. It's not, not in ToR, particularly if you play different factions, but I don't know how you get people of think of it like playing a completely different game (which it is when you play Republic as opposed to Empire, and vice versa) instead of playing the same game over again. So if you can't get them to reroll you get people sitting a month or two months after launch wondering "okay, that was fun, what now?"

We know there will be the one Operation (and they say it's the first indicating more are coming), that there are level 50 flashpoints, it's rumored that the lower level flashpoints can be run heroic at level 50, 3 Warzones, open world PvP, level 50 solo content and daily repeatable heroic quests, and I do think that's enough to occupy people (who don't reroll) for 3-6 months, but I also think they'll need to start updating with new content by at least 6 months in. I know for me there's enough game at launch to probably last an entire year, but I think they also need to think in terms of people who won't want to jump into another story right away. We'll see what they do.

This is kind of a tough post for me to make when on one hand I'm trying to limit your expectations but on the other hand, my own expectations for the game are clearly out the roof...

No, she's never played a game in her life that didn't run in a browser window. It's not her thing, but I was still trying to convince her to be my personal healer. I think I was maybe getting somewhere until she heard I would have to pay a monthly fee for her account...

As far as endgame goes, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue. As long as they have that first raid in there at launch and it's challenging, everyone will be fine with it. Shit, WoW didn't even have Molten Core at launch, did they? They only had that 10 man UBRS run, right?

keg in kc 09-14-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7907754)
No, she's never played a game in her life that didn't run in a browser window. It's not her thing, but I was still trying to convince her to be my personal healer. I think I was maybe getting somewhere until she heard I would have to pay a monthly fee for her account...

As far as endgame goes, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue. As long as they have that first raid in there at launch and it's challenging, everyone will be fine with it. Shit, WoW didn't even have Molten Core at launch, did they? They only had that 10 man UBRS run, right?

Think that's correct. I remember it being months before there were any real raids.

There's a difference between launching now and launching 7 years ago though: there wasn't anything like WoW on the market then, and people expect a lot more right from the beginning. Games are inevitably going to be measured against what WoW has. Whether that's fair or not. Or even realistic or not.

(And I don't think you can even really compare TOR to other MMO launches the last few years, which means people will probably expect even more, but maybe that's just my skewed perspective...)

keg in kc 09-14-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7907754)

Well, even if she doesn't play you'll eventually have your own personal healer anyway, although I don't think Smuggler (that was what you were playing, right?) gets a healer until the 5th and final companion.

I'm a different style player. I'm the kind of guy that (on my bounty hunter) turns off Mako's healing and turns on her combat skills so stuff dies faster. Healing schmealing.

Spoiler!

As far as the monthly fee goes, I think if there was any game that ever warranted a monthly fee it's this one. The estimated length of time it takes to play a single character zero to 50 almost three times as long as KotOR and KotOR 2 combined. If you look at that in 15 hour (max...) console game terms you're paying 60 dollars for at least 10 console games worth of content, and that's only playing one character.

It would be fun to duo stuff with her though. Just keep the pressure on.

Pants 09-14-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907783)
Well, even if she doesn't play you'll eventually have your own personal healer anyway, although I don't think Smuggler (that was what you were playing, right?) gets a healer until the 5th and final companion.

I'm a different style player. I'm the kind of guy that (on my bounty hunter) turns off Mako's healing and turns on her combat skills so stuff dies faster. Healing schmealing.

Spoiler!

As far as the monthly fee goes, I think if there was any game that ever warranted a monthly fee it's this one. The estimated length of time it takes to play a single character zero to 50 almost three times as long as KotOR and KotOR 2 combined. If you look at that in 15 hour (max...) console game terms you're paying 60 dollars for at least 10 console games worth of content, and that's only playing one character.

Man, you're preaching to the choir about the monthly fees. I'll put the full court press on her when I start playing and see if she can come around. As far as my class goes, I was actually thinking about doing the dual-wielding lightsaber DPS.

keg in kc 09-14-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7907815)
Man, you're preaching to the choir about the monthly fees. I'll put the full court press on her when I start playing and see if she can come around. As far as my class goes, I was actually thinking about doing the dual-wielding lightsaber DPS.

Oh, right, Sentinel. Sorry. I remember now. I think your healer comes a little earlier than Smuggler, maybe in your 30s. Although it's hard to tell, maybe one of the earlier characters has a secondary healing mode (it's amazing sometimes how some of the beta testers haven't figured things out that weekend testers did...)

Your second companion may or may not be a pretty hot Jedi Shadow chick that apparently every Knight in beta romances.

Maybe that's how you motivate the wife: jealousy!

Not that that's the Jedi way.

Pants 09-14-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907826)
Oh, right, Sentinel. Sorry. I remember now. I think your healer comes a little earlier than Smuggler, maybe in your 30s. Although it's hard to tell, maybe one of the earlier characters has a secondary healing mode (it's amazing sometimes how some of the beta testers haven't figured things out that weekend testers did...)

Your second companion may or may not be a pretty hot Jedi Shadow chick that apparently every Knight in beta romances.

Maybe that's how you motivate the wife: jealousy!

Not that that's the Jedi way.

LMAO

And not that it matters but she's not my wife yet. We're only engaged.

keg in kc 09-14-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7907830)
LMAO

And not that it matters but she's not my wife yet. We're only engaged.

Oh that poor woman. She's about to lose you to a video game. LMAO

Huffmeister 09-14-2011 09:56 AM

Are you still in the beta, keg? Or was that one weekend only?

keg in kc 09-14-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7907861)
Are you still in the beta, keg? Or was that one weekend only?

One weekend only. :deevee:

And I'm apparently completely locked out of testing now. No more weekends, no regular external beta invite.

I literally could not play another game all of last week.

Huffmeister 09-14-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907907)
One weekend only. :deevee:

And I'm apparently completely locked out of testing now. No more weekends, no regular external beta invite.

I literally could not play another game all of last week.

Damn, that's just cruel!

Pants 09-14-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907907)

How come?

keg in kc 09-14-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7908035)
How come?

When the weekend began we were clearly told by one of the community managers that we were not going to be exempt from future testing, but then the next week the lead community manager says the following:
Quote:

Q: I previously participated in Game Testing, but am no longer participating. Does that omit me from being re-selected, either for a Beta Testing Weekend, or Game Testing generally?

A: Currently, if you have previously been selected to test Star Wars: The Old Republic, you will normally not be re-selected for future testing. (This applies whether you were selected previously for an early Game Testing period that is now finished, a Beta Testing Weekend, or any other testing access, eg through a third-party research agency.) That may change closer to launch.
Needless to say the first weekend testers were not thrilled by that apparent change...

Hence I'm stuck waiting for release. Which is actually fine, because I spoiled more than I wanted to playing for 4 days. But I really, really wish I could log on at the same time....

keg in kc 09-14-2011 05:35 PM

oh em gee. I just got an email related to my post above that makes me very happy.

/happydance

Barret 09-14-2011 05:50 PM

That doesn't make sense to remove testers that have a knowledge of what problems were there before and not see how those problems were fixed.

I would also think they need to test the higher level content more so they should bring back the 1st weekend testers at their current levels and allow them to keep going. You can't start off brand new each time.

Just my 10 cents

keg in kc 09-14-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 7909237)
That doesn't make sense to remove testers that have a knowledge of what problems were there before and not see how those problems were fixed.

I would also think they need to test the higher level content more so they should bring back the 1st weekend testers at their current levels and allow them to keep going. You can't start off brand new each time.

Just my 10 cents

I don't disagree, but they've got fulltime beta testers for that. The weekend testers were basically there as a dry run for launching the game.

The servers are wiped, so either everybody is starting at the beginning or they're going to give each account access to premade high level characters (they've done that on the regular test server).

Son of Logical 09-14-2011 09:20 PM

I keep checking my email over and over just hoping to be selected, or just to see a release date. This wait is killing me.

Huffmeister 09-15-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7909214)
oh em gee. I just got an email related to my post above that makes me very happy.

/happydance

Did you get called back in for another weekend of testing?

keg in kc 09-15-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7910385)
Did you get called back in for another weekend of testing?

It looks like they invited the whole first weekend back. Not sure when it will be. There won't be servers up for anybody yet this weekend, I don't think, regular or weekend testers.

keg in kc 09-21-2011 10:25 AM

Just an FYI for everyone who has an account on swtor.com: they initiated their account security questions today. All you have to do is log in and then go to 'my account'. You can figure the rest out...

Valiant 09-21-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7907783)

Spoiler!

Not directed towards you. Buti find it funny, most console players always made fun of people paying a monthly fee for a game they own. But now wit console games the route or a pc game they find that they like, their tunenow is, well this game deserves it.

Pants 09-21-2011 03:39 PM

Question 1: How does one start a guild at this point in time?
Question 2: What servers are you guys choosing to roll on?
Question 3: Are the 2 factions going to be able to talk to each other?

Sofa King 09-21-2011 03:48 PM

Anyone got any clan's set up for Diablo 3 yet?

Pants 09-21-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 7930830)
Anyone got any clan's set up for Diablo 3 yet?

LMAO

keg in kc 09-21-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7930803)
Question 1: How does one start a guild at this point in time?

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/guilds

Look for the button at the bottom of the page.
Quote:

Republic PvE to start. Might swap to RP (I don't RP, nor does my guild, but names/community are generally less shitty on RP servers).

I'll also have an Empire equivalent with the same folks.

As for which specific sever, I have no idea. They haven't given server names yet. Guilds will be pre-assigned to a server based on their preference (east or west coast, pve or pvp, etc) as well as their Allies and Adversaries.
Quote:

Question 3: Are the 2 factions going to be able to talk to each other?
There will not be shared global channels, but you will be able to speak to the other faction in /say.

Pants 09-21-2011 04:11 PM

Sweet. Thanks, man!

Huffmeister 09-21-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7930803)

If you're setting up a guild for CPers, I'm cool with either faction. I'm sure I'll be rolling toons for both eventually. The only thing I'm set against is a PvP server. I'm a casual gamer, and I'd like to enjoy the game without having to fight off 12 year old punks.

Pants 09-21-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7930923)
If you're setting up a guild for CPers, I'm cool with either faction. I'm sure I'll be rolling toons for both eventually. The only thing I'm set against is a PvP server. I'm a casual gamer, and I'd like to enjoy the game without having to fight off 12 year old punks.

I'd prefer a PvP server, but I'm down for PvE as well. I'll look into starting one, but I would not want to be a guild leader or anything like that. It would just be cool to be able to play the game with some fellow CPers.

Huffmeister 09-21-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7930952)
I'd prefer a PvP server, but I'm down for PvE as well. I'll look into starting one, but I would not want to be a guild leader or anything like that. It would just be cool to be able to play the game with some fellow CPers.

Agreed. Even if it's a temporary guild that disbands after a while, it would still be cool to have a guild with some decent people to start the game with. I'd be willing to be the guild leader, as long as I can do it half-assed :D

keg in kc 09-21-2011 05:50 PM

I might throw an alt in just to **** with you guys from time to time, but it'll have to be after the game's live (I'm a guild leader on my account).

allen_kcCard 09-21-2011 05:56 PM

If I can get a good setup for it, I game for guilding too, PvP, RP, whatever. Will have to see how funds shake out....I don't even want to see it on my POS computer that I have now.

Pants 09-21-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7931153)
If I can get a good setup for it, I game for guilding too, PvP, RP, whatever. Will have to see how funds shake out....I don't even want to see it on my POS computer that I have now.

How bad is it? You honestly won't need very much at all to run the game if what I'm hearing is correct.

allen_kcCard 09-22-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7931570)
How bad is it? You honestly won't need very much at all to run the game if what I'm hearing is correct.

It isn't just the specs, the whole OS is crap and I need to completely reimage it, but don't want to shell out money to get a new one. I don't have disks or key info on it to wipe it all and so it on the OS it has now, and even if I did, it is the only working one I have and I don't want to have to go without for the time it will take to get it all done.

It is really about wanting to have a good machine to run what I expect to be a great game, and I know if I get a game like that, then the motiviation to get the new setup that I want goes out the window for a good while as well.

Huffmeister 09-22-2011 11:27 AM

I think I'll go ahead and create a guild sometime tonight or tomorrow. A few questions...

[1] How many people do we have? (Just give a shout out here if you're interested in joining)
[2] Which faction: Republic or Sith? (I'm cool with either)
[3] Is everyone ok with a PvE server? (I'd be ok with a RP server, too)
[4] Any ideas for a guild name?

Again, the intent is that this will be a very informal guild. It's mostly just a way that we can learn the game together and help each other out. Not expecting any kind of commitment here.

Pants 09-22-2011 11:32 AM

Sign me up for Republic. Don't care what server (as long as it's CST).

Huffmeister 09-22-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7932597)
Sign me up for Republic. Don't care what server (as long as it's CST).

Last night, I checked out the link that keg posted about guild creation. One of the questions is "When will your guild be active?" and the choices are US EAST EST, US WEST PST, and EUROPE GMT. Since we're closer to EST, I'll choose that.

Any suggestions for a name? I'll try to think of a few and post them here later.

Pants 09-22-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7932638)
Last night, I checked out the link that keg posted about guild creation. One of the questions is "When will your guild be active?" and the choices are US EAST EST, US WEST PST, and EUROPE GMT. Since we're closer to EST, I'll choose that.

Any suggestions for a name? I'll try to think of a few and post them here later.

Cool, EST it is. As far as the name goes, we should do some stupid latin phrase... those are always the best. ;)

allen_kcCard 09-22-2011 11:51 AM

Shannarats
Urandidiots
Aidstrees
SuckLucks

Huffmeister 09-22-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7932658)
Shannarats
Urandidiots
Aidstrees
SuckLucks

LMAO Urandidiots really sounds like it could be a Star Wars race and/or planet, I like it!

keg in kc 09-22-2011 11:55 AM

Masters of Uranus.

Fish 09-22-2011 11:57 AM

Republic or death!

Silock 09-22-2011 04:29 PM

Knights of Knightly Knighthood Crusaders Victa