ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Emmitt Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270080)

Cannibal 02-15-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank (Post 9406433)
Emmitt was much better than Barry Sanders and O.J. Simpson.
He won Super Bowls. Did they?
Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams are much better QBs than Dan Marino
and Dan Fouts. Did Marino and Fouts win Super Bowls?

Also, EMMITT Smith is and idiot!!!

You've got a legit point.

Wumbology 02-15-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9406332)
No, **** the Cowboys.

I just respect the great Emmitt Smith, because I watched that team every Sunday during their heyday.

That's also why I have a hardon for Jimmy Johnson.

To quote my dad: "Jimmy Johnson didn't do anything special. That team was so loaded with talent I could have coached them. I would have just said 'Welp, go get em.' then sat in a beach chair on the sideline and drank beer."

Cannibal 02-15-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wumbology (Post 9406452)
To quote my dad: "Jimmy Johnson didn't do anything special. That team was so loaded with talent I could have coached them. I would have just said 'Welp, go get em.' then sat in a beach chair on the sideline and drank beer."

True. Look what Johnson did with the Dolphins.

WhiteWhale 02-15-2013 09:52 PM

Smith can't conjugate a verb, but he could run with the damn ball.

Smith was consistent, durable, and tough. He wasn't fast or huge, but he was shifty and he ran with purpose and knew how to finish runs. He may not have had the talent of some other HOF RB's, but he was a goddamn rock.

I'm not a fan, but I'm not delusional either.

kysirsoze 02-15-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9406457)
True. Look what Johnson did with the Dolphins.

OK, so The head coach and the runningback were coattail riders. Anyone else that didn't contribute to that team?

WhiteWhale 02-15-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9406481)
OK, so The head coach and the runningback were coattail riders. Anyone else that didn't contribute to that team?

I hear Aikman, Irvin, and the defense were pretty over-rated too. It was all OL. :thumb:

Cannibal 02-15-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9406506)
I hear Aikman, Irvin, and the defense were pretty over-rated too. It was all OL. :thumb:

Nah, personell you mention were worthy of all respect they garnered.

Hammock Parties 02-15-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wumbology (Post 9406452)

Guess who assembled that talent? Jimmy.

And when he left, the team fell the **** apart after 1995.

That team could have won 5 Super Bowls if Jerry hadn't been a moron.

Read his book. The man is a genius motivator and cunning tactician.

cdcox 02-15-2013 11:06 PM

Cannibal's take is moronic. Curtis Martin was not as allusive or fast as Smith. Watch some highlights of both players. It isn't even close.

Now go to the stats. For five seasons from 1991 to 1995, the minimum yards Smith gained in each season was 1484. In comparison, Priest Holmes, also running behind a great line, had a great three year stretch where his minimum season was 1420 yards. So compared to another great back running behind another great line, Smith was better and more durable. Now consider that if you throw out Smith's best five years (yardage equivalent to Earl Campbell's career) he's still one of the top 25 yardage leaders of all time. Smith was great and durable.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-15-2013 11:41 PM

clay loves the hair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty 02-15-2013 11:59 PM

Smith was great but Barry would have owned those records if he had had a line like Emmitt's or had not retired early. However, he didn't, so props to Emmitt.

cdcox 02-16-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9406724)
Smith was great but Barry would have owned those records if he had had a line like Emmitt's or had not retired early. However, he didn't, so props to Emmitt.

Sanders's greatness does not subtract from Emmitt's greatness.

Strongside 02-16-2013 12:23 AM

He got blowed up.

boogblaster 02-16-2013 01:12 AM

had a great blockin fullbak too ...

Demonpenz 02-16-2013 01:30 AM

those teams were sick. Good Fullback good tight end...big time attitude as well.