ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Obama Germany rejects Trump's claim it owes NATO and U.S. 'vast sums' for defense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306710)

Pitt Gorilla 03-19-2017 10:00 PM

Germany rejects Trump's claim it owes NATO and U.S. 'vast sums' for defense
 
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...ource=facebook

German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen on Sunday rejected U.S. President Donald Trump's claim that Germany owes NATO and the United States "vast sums" of money for defense.

"There is no debt account at NATO," von der Leyen said in a statement, adding that it was wrong to link the alliance's target for members to spend 2 percent of their economic output on defense by 2024 solely to NATO.

"Defense spending also goes into UN peacekeeping missions, into our European missions and into our contribution to the fight against IS terrorism," von der Leyen said.

She said everyone wanted the burden to be shared fairly and for that to happen it was necessary to have a "modern security concept" that included a modern NATO but also a European defense union and investment in the United Nations.

Trump said on Twitter on Saturday - a day after meeting German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Washington - that Germany "owes vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!"

Trump has urged Germany and other NATO members to accelerate efforts to meet NATO's defense spending target.

German defense spending is set to rise by 1.4 billion euros to 38.5 billion euros in 2018 - a figure that is projected to represent 1.26 percent of economic output, Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble has said.

In 2016, Germany's defense spending ratio stood at 1.18 percent.

During her trip to Washington, Merkel reiterated Germany's commitment to the 2 percent military spending goal.

(Reporting by Andreas Rinke; writing by Michelle Martin; editing by Jason Neely)

BucEyedPea 03-20-2017 06:46 AM

So

notorious 03-20-2017 07:05 AM

Pretty much every country in Europe should send the US a big check.

Dayze 03-20-2017 07:09 AM

did I read that right....Germany spends only 1.26% of their money on defense?

patteeu 03-20-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12790513)
did I read that right....Germany spends only 1.26% of their money on defense?

1.26% of GDP

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/...0622175709.jpg

BucEyedPea 03-20-2017 07:19 AM

I'd like to see what Switzerland's spending is on defense, since they're armed to the teeth. In fact those mountains have hangars inside them and everything.

BigCatDaddy 03-20-2017 07:21 AM

So it appears Trump is correct. Good thread, Pitt.

BucEyedPea 03-20-2017 07:24 AM

This Wiki page says that the Swiss spend 4.9% of their budget on defense. That's just the percent of their budget, not a percent of their GDP.

HonestChieffan 03-20-2017 07:28 AM

Fun stuff. Lets ignore the agreement, and lets count other shit. Global Warming and all the things.

Amnorix 03-20-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12790520)
So it appears Trump is correct. Good thread, Pitt.


He would be if the 2% of GDP was anything other than aspirational, and if any "debt" was actually accrued for any shortfall, which there is not.

I would suggest that his comments are correct "in spirit". The other NATO members SHOULD increase their spending to meet the minimum spend stated in their international agreements. Technically speaking, however, they are wrong. There is no debt, and no fixed requirement to pay or else.

Amnorix 03-20-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12790519)
I'd like to see what Switzerland's spending is on defense, since they're armed to the teeth. In fact those mountains have hangars inside them and everything.


You're so frequently absurd/stupid, I can't tell when you're joking or being actually stupid.

Switzerland's defense spending is something south of 1.0% of GDP, much less 2.0%.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS


It is, in fact, 123rd in a list of 141 countries in this particular analysis.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=132

Just Passin' By 03-20-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12790544)
...

You really should re-think that post.

BucEyedPea 03-20-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12790544)
You're so frequently absurd/stupid, I can't tell when you're joking or being actually stupid.

Switzerland's defense spending is something south of 1.0% of GDP, much less 2.0%.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS


It is, in fact, 123rd in a list of 141 countries in this particular analysis.

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=132

Pot calling the kettle black here as usual. Another strawman by a stupid ass that can't read. Since when is asking a question about what they spend stupid? I never posted what their spending was as a percentage of GDP. I even said that.

Here DUMBASS:

Quote:

This Wiki page says that the Swiss spend 4.9% of their budget on defense. That's just the percent of their budget, not a percent of their GDP.
Guess who is STUPID and can't read but relies on non-stop strawman arguments, faking a refutation that doesn't exist to what I said. It all shows how illogical you are too.


Again, as posted earlier, using a percentage of GDP makes the amount seem small.

patteeu 03-20-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12790555)
You really should re-think that post.

Why?

Just Passin' By 03-20-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12790566)
Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12790519)
I'd like to see what Switzerland's spending is on defense, since they're armed to the teeth. In fact those mountains have hangars inside them and everything.

The Swiss are at the top of the list when it comes to gun ownership (armed to the teeth), and the Swiss do have so-called aircraft caverns. So, what about that post of hers is either absurd or stupid?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.