ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football What would it take for your fanhood to change. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272766)

Direckshun 05-04-2013 09:10 AM

What would it take for your fanhood to change.

I debated this a couple times the past season.

I get sick, sometimes, of the Chiefs honestly doing all the important things wrong. Underwhelming free agency classes, poor drafts, frequent coaching and regime changes.

What if I just hopped on the Seahawks wagon? What would that cost me?

Good coaching, great quarterbacking, player acquisitions and good drafts. Good fans, best stadium in the country...

What stands in my way, honestly?

MTG#10 05-04-2013 09:12 AM

Years of heartache will make it that much sweeter when we finally do win a SB (has to happen eventually, right?). If you're a Seahawks fan and they win one it wont feel very special to you.

AussieChiefsFan 05-04-2013 09:13 AM

I couldn't imagine being a fan of another NFL team as much as I am for the Chiefs. Sometimes it does get tough being a Chiefs fan, but really, I couldn't imagine being as hardcore a fan for a different team.

KCTitus 05-04-2013 09:15 AM

Bye.

Who switches teams besides women and metrosexuals?

Direckshun 05-04-2013 09:15 AM

Honestly, if I were going to jump on another team, it would just be another underachieving perennial disappointment like the Browns or Bills.

I've long felt that if hipsters got into the NFL, the Buffalo Bills would be the official team of hipsters.

Bewbies 05-04-2013 09:16 AM

Won't switch, but care a helluva lot less than I used to.

el borracho 05-04-2013 09:19 AM

My fandom has changed... from overly connected (outcome of games actually affected my mood), to connected (watch and enjoy all games- win or lose), to apathetic (watch games out of habit, not really all that enjoyable), to my current state of disconnection (don't plan on watching any games until the Chiefs get serious at the QB position). I won't follow another team- I simply won't watch until my team gets back on course.

J Diddy 05-04-2013 09:19 AM

I'm just sick of people bitching about everything. So if you hopping teams means 1 less person I've got to listen bitching about everything, I'm all for it.

Get you a Wilson jersey and a smile.

MTG#10 05-04-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9656614)
My fandom has changed... from overly connected (outcome of games actually affected my mood), to connected (watch and enjoy all games- win or lose), to apathetic (watch games out of habit, not really all that enjoyable), to my current state of disconnection (don't plan on watching any games until the Chiefs get serious at the QB position). I won't follow another team- I simply won't watch until my team gets back on course.

That's how Ive been about the Royals. Needless to say, I haven't watched baseball since the 80's until this season.

RealSNR 05-04-2013 09:22 AM

If Pioli were retained, I was going to switch. And I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

**** a franchise that allows itself to get eaten alive by that kind of cancer.

wazu 05-04-2013 09:25 AM

In some ways, my fanhood has already changed. From being more concerned with the Chiefs, to being more concerned with my fantasy team.

Of course, if I could choose, I'd pick the Chiefs to win the Superbowl every year and my fantasy team to be terrible. But since the Chiefs aren't even really interested in a Superbowl, might as well focus on something that isn't hopeless. There are some football weekends that I am over the moon happy about a fantasy game. With the Chiefs, even when they win there is a feeling of "yeah, but".

Kidd Lex 05-04-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9656622)
In some ways, my fanhood has already changed. From being more concerned with the Chiefs, to being more concerned with my fantasy team.

Of course, if I could choose, I'd pick the Chiefs to win the Superbowl every year and my fantasy team to be terrible. But since the Chiefs aren't even really interested in a Superbowl, might as well focus on something that isn't hopeless. There are some football weekends that I am over the moon happy about a fantasy game. With the Chiefs, even when they win there is a feeling of "yeah, but".

This. I could never change teams, just turn my dial of attention away from the Chiefs and towards my fantasy team.

Damn that's pathetic.

DaFace 05-04-2013 09:27 AM

I could never switch. I grew up a Chiefs fan, and it's a connection I have to my dad, so it'll never go away.

However, I have been rooting for a secondary team (in this case, my brother's team in the 49ers) just to give me something entertaining to watch on Sundays.

ModSocks 05-04-2013 09:29 AM

Nothing. I have battered fan syndrome. No matter how many times the chiefs kick me in the face, i come back for more.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-04-2013 09:29 AM

As much time as I've spent in other towns around the US, I've had plenty of chances to start rooting for the local team. Just never saw much point in it.

I grew up a Chiefs fan in the golden years of the 60s and 70s.
I've been a Chiefs fan through the depressing late 70 and the 80s.
I've lived through the Marty, Gunther, Dick, Herm, Todd, Romeo era of almost having good enough teams

I figure I can hang on a few more years.

CaliforniaChief 05-04-2013 09:31 AM

The only thing that would even make me think about changing would be if they ever left Kansas City.

Even if they moved to LA and were in my backyard, they belong in Kansas City.

Other than that, I will never leave the Chiefs. I've put in way too much time watching them suck to turn away now. It's like the Royals. And honestly, I think I'll be more annoyed when people jump on the bandwagon when they start winning than anything else.

J Diddy 05-04-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9656626)
I could never switch. I grew up a Chiefs fan, and it's a connection I have to my dad, so it'll never go away.

However, I have been rooting for a secondary team (in this case, my brother's team in the 49ers) just to give me something entertaining to watch on Sundays.

Why you cheating whore.

JoeyChuckles 05-04-2013 09:32 AM

Eh, it's just a form of entertainment. If it means that much to you that you have to have a successful team in order to be happy, maybe it's time to reevaluate.

Bearcat 05-04-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656608)
Years of heartache will make it that much sweeter when we finally do win a SB (has to happen eventually, right?). If you're a Seahawks fan and they win one it wont feel very special to you.

I've always thought this was a strange way to look at it... my head isn't going to explode from excitement or anything like that, and it's not like I'm going to look back on all of the bad times. Hell, at that moment I'd probably look back and think all of it wasn't that bad.

rageeumr 05-04-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Bingo. From the time I was old enough to know what a first down was until the end of the Vermeil era, I didn't miss a second of any game. I was either at the stadium or I was watching on TV. I specifically remember being in Gary, Indiana for a job interview while I was in college and not being able to get the game in the hotel. I was crushed.

Now I'll watch the game if I have absolutely nothing else going on. Typically I'll listen on the radio while I do something outside or go for a run.

But the Chiefs could go 0-16 in perpetuity and I'd never follow another team. The only way that's happening is if "The Clarks" decide to move the team.

Planetman 05-04-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (Post 9656630)
I've lived through the Marty, Gunther, Dick, Herm, Todd, Romeo era of almost having good enough teams

This is pretty much me, to a tee.

Bearcat 05-04-2013 09:40 AM

I think the biggest thing holding me back from finding another team is simply wanting to watch them every weekend.... the NFL overall isn't worth switching to satellite and paying extra so I can get all of the games, and depending on the team, I might only see them live once every 4-8 years. Of course, the flip side is that I haven't been to Arrowhead in almost 2 seasons, and don't plan on going to any games this year.

If I ever moved to another NFL city, not including Denver and a few others, it would be harder to stay a Chiefs fan, unless they somehow start to get it.

noa 05-04-2013 09:41 AM

I could never switch, and even if I started rooting for the other team, I would never be able to be as invested as I am in the Chiefs. It would just feel artificial. Having said that, I no longer get worked up about individual Chiefs games because they've sort if deadened a part of my fandom.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kidd Lex 05-04-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9656633)
The only thing that would even make me think about changing would be if they ever left Kansas City.

Even if they moved to LA and were in my backyard, they belong in Kansas City.

Other than that, I will never leave the Chiefs. I've put in way too much time watching them suck to turn away now. It's like the Royals. And honestly, I think I'll be more annoyed when people jump on the bandwagon when they start winning than anything else.

You know with the Royals I almost take it personally. On opening day I kept listening to a fat bellied goon in an Alex Gordon jersey say how much the Royals suck balls & how hes a Cardinals fan. I asked him why he was at the game and flying their colors and he said because "everyone else was."

I promptly told him to **** off. :thumb:'s up to anger issues.

Braincase 05-04-2013 09:45 AM

Franchise moves or folds.

Spott 05-04-2013 09:45 AM

I've just become completely ambivalent. This franchise will never be about winning and is just the Cubs without all the attention.

DTLB58 05-04-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9656607)

I get sick, sometimes, of the Chiefs honestly doing all the important things wrong. Underwhelming free agency classes, poor drafts, frequent coaching and regime changes.

Good coaching, great quarterbacking, player acquisitions and good drafts. Good fans, best stadium in the country...

Nothing, See ya. :thumb:

BourbonMan 05-04-2013 09:49 AM

NEVER..If they moved them out of Kansas City, I would still follow them....BUT, If Kansas City got another team, I would probably start to be a fan of them too. Have been a CHIEFS fan for 30 years.

007 05-04-2013 09:51 AM

As insane as this team makes me, I will always be a fan.

MOhillbilly 05-04-2013 09:53 AM

Some deep game wins would be a start

Just Passin' By 05-04-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Fandom shouldn't feel like a prison sentence. If it's not fun, what's the use in it?

Dave Lane 05-04-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Bravo! And rep!

Hammock Parties 05-04-2013 10:07 AM

Can't switch it off. It would be like disowning a child.

Child needs to be spanked a lot lately, though. And I think it's hanging out with the wrong crowd. Again.

Hammock Parties 05-04-2013 10:11 AM

I didn't sit through 29-67 to jump ship now. Or ever.

Simply Red 05-04-2013 10:13 AM

I'm with them - unfortunately The Chiefs rest in my heart.

Hammock Parties 05-04-2013 10:14 AM

I have to be here to call the bandwagon jumpers a bunch of jackholes when we win a SB, know what I mean?

I've trolled the drafturbators, I've trolled the homers...I'm not going to miss out on trolling another subset of this fanbase.

The Undiscovered Country.

Simply Red 05-04-2013 10:15 AM

anyone know of any new free streaming adult websites?

mdchiefsfan 05-04-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9656704)
I have to be here to call the bandwagon jumpers a bunch of jackholes when we win a SB, know what I mean?

I've trolled the drafturbators, I've trolled the homers...I'm not going to miss out on trolling another subset of this fanbase.

The Undiscovered Country.

LMAO

Buehler445 05-04-2013 10:22 AM

Never. I just care less.

Fritz88 05-04-2013 10:23 AM

Can't do it. Just can't.

alanm 05-04-2013 10:26 AM

Im stuck for life. I was born a Chiefs fan and I'll die a Chiefs fan. Same goes for the Royals. I abhor bandwagon fans.

patteeu 05-04-2013 10:29 AM

My fanhood would probably change if the owners moved the team to another metropolitan area. Aside from that, I can't see a change in my future.

alanm 05-04-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (Post 9656630)
As much time as I've spent in other towns around the US, I've had plenty of chances to start rooting for the local team. Just never saw much point in it.

Same here.

patteeu 05-04-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9656728)
My fanhood would probably change if the owners moved the team to another metropolitan area. Aside from that, I can't see a change in my future.

About the only other thing that could change my primary fanhood would be if someone close to me became a player, owner, coach or GM of another team and that's unlikely unless my girls start working on their kicking skills.

redsurfer11 05-04-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Don't worry.

Flip-Flopping is in your blood.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 05-04-2013 10:42 AM

Please change the concept to country instead of team. Then post it in the DC forum. Thanks

Earthling 05-04-2013 10:52 AM

I don't think its possible to quit being a Chiefs fan once bitten by that ungodly snake..damnit.

NWTF 05-04-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus (Post 9656610)
Bye.

Who switches teams besides women and metrosexuals?

KU fans after basketball season is over.

hometeam 05-04-2013 11:07 AM

I'm quite literally bound to the Chiefs for life.

patteeu 05-04-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9656788)
I'm quite literally bound to the Chiefs for life.

How so? Tattoo? Member of the Hunt family?

Jerm 05-04-2013 11:14 AM

I've grown up with the Chiefs in my family...been around them and involved with them since I started watching football.

They're in my blood...always will be. Sure they piss me off and make me question my sanity at times but I'd never give up on them, like the Royals.

Rasputin 05-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9656791)
How so? Tattoo? Member of the Hunt family?

LMAO

Rasputin 05-04-2013 11:43 AM

I'm with ya hometeam.

Contrarian 05-04-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9656615)
I'm just sick of people bitching about everything. So if you hopping teams means 1 less person I've got to listen bitching about everything, I'm all for it.

Get you a Wilson jersey and a smile.

No shit!

sd4chiefs 05-04-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9656629)
Nothing. I have battered fan syndrome. No matter how many times the chiefs kick me in the face, i come back for more.

This.

Sometimes I wish there was a pill that I could take that would cure me of being a Chiefs fan.

BigRedChief 05-04-2013 12:31 PM

I grew up watching Lenny Cool and Otis Taylor. Got season tickets as soon as I had the financial resources. I missed 4 games(including pre-season) in 13 years. Mainly Christmas Day games.

I could lessen my time thinking and watching Chiefs football because of the teams decisions however, I have always been and shall remain a Chiefs fan until I become worm food.

Rain Man 05-04-2013 12:34 PM

You can't change teams. It's like saying, "I'm Bosnian but now I want to be a Serb." It's not what you want, it's who you are.

morphius 05-04-2013 12:36 PM

I'd probably stop watching before switching to another team. Especially in the last few years, there are better things to do with my time then watch a bunch of other games when my team isn't even in contention.

Discuss Thrower 05-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsurfer11 (Post 9656738)
Don't worry.

Flip-Flopping is in your blood.

We got a 10-83, 10-83. Shots fired.

Discuss Thrower 05-04-2013 12:42 PM

I guess if they moved to LA. Dunno if I'd become a fan of a different team. I can't stand the Rams. Ill suck a cock before I became a Denver, Oakland or Dallas fan. Maybe Houston..?

Spicy McHaggis 05-04-2013 12:49 PM

I was born in Kansas City, but spent a good amount of time in Wisconsin during the summers growing up. The first stadium I ever set foot in was Lambeau. Preseason game, but still. And every Christmas, my family up in Green Bay would send me a Packers t-shirt, sweatshirt, flag, whatever to try and convert me. Additionally I lived in Wisconsin for a good part of my twenties.

But no, for some reason my 5 year old self chose to be a Chiefs' fan. Carl and Marty rolled into town with Derrick Thomas and I was hooked. I will admit though, I had a fair amount of expletives aimed at that naive younger self as I sat in a bar in Madison and watched the Packers win their latest title.

My significant other has told me "Well, the Packers really are your team too."

No. No, they're not. I have an affection for the Packers. I like to watch them and I hope they do well. But their Superbowl win wasn't mine. I want mine. And when the Chiefs do finally get one, it will be the greatest single moment of sports fandom because I sat through the crap to see it through. Which makes me loyal, stupid or both.

Hootie 05-04-2013 12:53 PM

I could never jump ship. I've invested too much. I could never get emotionally invested in another sports team like I have with the Chiefs...ever.

All other sports and favorite teams, compared to the Chiefs, are pretty much bandwagons for me. If the Royals suck, I lose interest. If the Bulls, Sox and Cubs suck...I don't give a ****.

the Chiefs? If I stuck through 2012 that just means I'm in for life.

BlackHelicopters 05-04-2013 01:05 PM

Another death in Hunt family. I love that family.

rico 05-04-2013 01:14 PM

I'd never jump ship, but if they'd have done something insane like extend Matt Cassel, I would be totally apathetic....well, as apathetic as I already was with him behind center I guess.

spanky 52 05-04-2013 01:24 PM

I've tried to change but it didn't work. Since Christmas Day, 1971, I've followed this team. They kicked me in the gut that day along with many other games since. There was a time when I couldn't sleep the night of a loss but I'm past that. Having depression and anxiety issues the last several years hasn't helped being a fan of this team. Had season tickets back in the late 80's and early 90's, but with children going to college had to give them up. Still try to make one game a year, sometimes on the road. Going to DC this year to see them play the Redskins with my adult son who lives there. I'll be a Chief's fan until the end.

splatbass 05-04-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

I suspect that as soon as you became a Seahawks fan you would start hating everything they do too. But I recommend you give it a try.

beach tribe 05-04-2013 04:06 PM

I wish it were possible and have actually tried it with the Titans when I lived in TN.
It doesnt work. There will never be another NFL team.

COchief 05-04-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 9656973)
I was born in Kansas City, but spent a good amount of time in Wisconsin during the summers growing up. The first stadium I ever set foot in was Lambeau. Preseason game, but still. And every Christmas, my family up in Green Bay would send me a Packers t-shirt, sweatshirt, flag, whatever to try and convert me. Additionally I lived in Wisconsin for a good part of my twenties.

But no, for some reason my 5 year old self chose to be a Chiefs' fan. Carl and Marty rolled into town with Derrick Thomas and I was hooked. I will admit though, I had a fair amount of expletives aimed at that naive younger self as I sat in a bar in Madison and watched the Packers win their latest title.

My significant other has told me "Well, the Packers really are your team too."

No. No, they're not. I have an affection for the Packers. I like to watch them and I hope they do well. But their Superbowl win wasn't mine. I want mine. And when the Chiefs do finally get one, it will be the greatest single moment of sports fandom because I sat through the crap to see it through. Which makes me loyal, stupid or both.

You dun goofed son! What I wouldn't give to go back in time to latch on to the Steelers or Packers. I grew up closest to the Vikings, but ended up liking the Chiefs and will never forget the Indy playoff game around 95 fresh out of HS and setting up my VCR to record each game as I was sure, absolutely 100%, that they were going to crush everyone up to and including whatever team stepped foot in the SB...and then...well you know. The disappointment then and now just never seems to stop, even the Vermeil years were agony as I knew, as much as I wanted to believe the opposite, that they would continue to fail.

Fat Scott truly crushed this entire fan base and franchise, but I much like you, are already hooked and can't let them go.

Mods should change the thread title to "Chief's fan therapy thread".

RunKC 05-04-2013 04:56 PM

Couldn't do it. I'm a fan of other players in the league and like to watch them, but not teams.

Last year is the worst that could ever happen and most of the board pushed through. Idk what could really be worse?

KCTitus 05-04-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

+1 for el borracho....although I would say, I have yet to reach disconnection. I watch the games every week. Since 1984/85, I have done that, and this last season was their worst since that time. If I can make it through last season, I can make it through any season. Last time I was excited about this team was 2003, before that, 1997. 10 years, 160 games since I was last really invested in a game or excited about a win. Yeah, I think apathy covers it.

morphius 05-04-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9657282)
You dun goofed son! What I wouldn't give to go back in time to latch on to the Steelers or Packers. I grew up closest to the Vikings, but ended up liking the Chiefs and will never forget the Indy playoff game around 95 fresh out of HS and setting up my VCR to record each game as I was sure, absolutely 100%, that they were going to crush everyone up to and including whatever team stepped foot in the SB...and then...well you know. The disappointment then and now just never seems to stop, even the Vermeil years were agony as I knew, as much as I wanted to believe the opposite, that they would continue to fail.

Fat Scott truly crushed this entire fan base and franchise, but I much like you, are already hooked and can't let them go.

Mods should change the thread title to "Chief's fan therapy thread".

Vikings or Chiefs, damn, probably not many worse options out there.

COchief 05-04-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9657294)
Vikings or Chiefs, damn, probably not many worse options out there.

Funnily enough, the suffering of the Vikes fans is about the only solace I can take from that choice. They are one of the only teams in the league that disappoint their fans more than the Chiefs. They have had loaded teams over the years and always manage to F it up. 15-1 year especially and to lose to the Falcons of all the crap teams to lose to in the Playoffs had to be heart wrenching, plus I don't have to wear purple.

2bikemike 05-04-2013 05:21 PM

It never even enters my mind to jump ship on the Chiefs. I have been a fan since I was a small boy. As I have gotten older and mellower the losses and dissapointment that used to eat at me are nothing more than minor annoyances.

Same with the Royals. I have so many fond memories of sitting in the cheap seats its hard to give up on them, even though they have perennially sucked.

I will say that the Chiefs suckage has made it easier to avoid spending the money on a trip back to KC once or twice a year to watch a game.

BossChief 05-04-2013 05:26 PM

I think how emotionally detached from the team I currently am is a low point, already.

It can only go up from here.

RunKC 05-04-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9657325)
I think how emotionally detached from the team I currently am is a low point, already.

If you feel as bad about this team now than you did last Fall than idk what to tell you..

Mr. Flopnuts 05-04-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9656608)

This is the correct answer. The fact is, the Chiefs and Huskies are the only piece of childhood joy I get out of sports. I do like the Seahawks. I grew up in Seattle. The year they went to the Superbowl meant next to nothing to me. Oh, cool! They made it. Sure hope they win. Nothing more. Didn't sit there watching living and breathing with every play. Didn't lose it over the refs ****ing them out of the entire game. It's just not the same.

alpha_omega 05-04-2013 05:34 PM

Never.

cockeyes 05-04-2013 05:45 PM

It's kind of expected if you're a giant vagina

COchief 05-04-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9657325)

Wait until they cut your gay lover in training camp...that will be miles below what you're feeling now.

"If they would just give Ricky a chance..."

Chiefaholic 05-04-2013 05:51 PM

They'd have to move the team like Modell did the Browns for me to even consider the idea. Part of what made me a fan was watching games with my dad at Arrowhead.