ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV FX: Taboo (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305127)

keg in kc 01-11-2017 06:52 PM

FX: Taboo

Began Tuesday January tenth, 8 episode run. Period drama set in 1814 London which stars Tom Hardy, Oona Chaplin and Jonathan Pryce. Really ****ing good pilot.

Synopsis of episode one:
Quote:

After being presumed dead, adventurer James Delaney reappears in London seeking vengeance for the death of his father. He inherits the family's shipping empire threatening the ambitions of his half-sister and the East India Company.

The Franchise 01-11-2017 06:54 PM

I've got this set to DVR.....just haven't had a chance to watch the first episode. I'll pretty much watch anything that has Tom Hardy in it.

Easy 6 01-11-2017 08:37 PM

Meant to catch the premier but forgot, stumbled across the last 5 minutes or so

I'll definitely give it a chance... but for the life of me I cant understand why Tom Hardy would do a tv show, for actors thats a serious downgrade from "movie star"

ChiefAshhole1056 01-11-2017 08:46 PM

Highly recommend using subtitles for this. Heavy accents and just overall British-Tom Hardy articulation make things more difficult to understnad, but overall should be an interesting show.

unlurking 01-11-2017 09:18 PM

Subs are for anime.

keg in kc 01-18-2017 09:39 PM

What a great show so far. How the **** did I not hear about this until the weekend before it premiered?

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12695850)
What a great show so far. How the **** did I not hear about this until the weekend before it premiered?

Reviews have been awful and Fox is trying to kill it

keg in kc 01-18-2017 10:09 PM

Reviews can't be that awful if it's around 70% on meta and 80% on rt.

Not that I particularly care about reviews, in any case...

And if Fox is trying to kill it, then it's odd that it's had a number of ads during both weekends of the NFL playoffs (which is where I first saw it...)

We'll see how the ensuing episodes go. The first two I've liked a lot.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12695883)
Reviews can't be that awful if it's around 70% on meta and 80% on rt.

Not that I particularly care about reviews, in any case...

And if Fox is trying to kill it, then it's odd that it's had a number of ads during both weekends of the NFL playoffs (which is where I first saw it...)

We'll see how the ensuing episodes go. The first two I've liked a lot.

My apologies. I should have quantified the silly word.

keg in kc 01-18-2017 10:24 PM

I just figured you'd seen Variety's hit piece on it and assumed that was the universal reception...

Anyway, I should've been asleep 3 hours ago. Tomorrow's gonna suck.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12695915)
I just figured you'd seen Variety's hit piece on it and assumed that was the universal reception...

Anyway, I should've been asleep 3 hours ago. Tomorrow's gonna suck.

Without getting into too much in depth, the studio wanted to bury this because Hardy, a bankable actor, is not exactly shown in favorable light in this series, in terms of choices and whatnot.

But hey, what do I know?

keg in kc 01-18-2017 10:39 PM

I thought you meant Fox the network, not Twentieth Century Fox the studio...

Wasn't arguing with you in any case. I was being literal - I thought it was odd that they would have ads for the show coming out of commercials during the wild card and divisional games if they were trying to kill it. Seems a bit counterproductive. So that comment was aimed at them, not you.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12695936)
I thought you meant Fox the network, not Twentieth Century Fox the studio...

Wasn't arguing with you in any case. I was being literal - I thought it was odd that they would have ads for the show coming out of commercials during the wild card and divisional games if they were trying to kill it. Seems a bit counterproductive. So that comment was aimed at them, not you.

It's all good. Their marketing has been odd at best but then again, that's Fox.

Some people are saying this series kills his chance at Bond.

Time will tell.

kcchiefsus 01-18-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12676414)
Meant to catch the premier but forgot, stumbled across the last 5 minutes or so

I'll definitely give it a chance... but for the life of me I cant understand why Tom Hardy would do a tv show, for actors thats a serious downgrade from "movie star"

I take it you've never seen Peaky Blinders? this isn't his first foray into television.

SAUTO 01-18-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12695989)
It's all good. Their marketing has been odd at best but then again, that's Fox.

Some people are saying this series kills his chance at Bond.

Time will tell.

I just can't wrap my head around Tom hardy being bond.

I'm not sure the mother ****er can talk.