ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink -- We're way overdue to discuss Steak and Shake in depth. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310075)

Simply Red 09-14-2017 07:47 AM

-- We're way overdue to discuss Steak and Shake in depth.

This is the best value + taste fast food out there, IMO.

Today I alternatively decided on a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit and a gigantic OJ (both were way above average) The sausage was well done - which I prefer. The Orange Juice was very refreshing.

Their lunch $4 options are a hell of a deal - occasionally I'll get the triple hamburger and fry after adding cheese and tax it's something like $4.86

Now I DO like Culvers, but all things in the mix; Steak and Shake is doing better things for the community by being MUCH more affordable.

What do you all like ordering at S&S...?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/I1Iz9"><a href="//imgur.com/I1Iz9"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JoeyChuckles 09-14-2017 07:52 AM

I did not know these existed anymore. Are they a southern thing? Or a country thing? I remember there being one on the outskirts of KC, but none within the city.

Hammock Parties 09-14-2017 07:55 AM

There's one in OP and the rest are on the outskirts.

I agree it's very underrated. I'd rather eat there than McDonalds any day.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13079962)

what do you like ordering at Steak & Shake?

Hammock Parties 09-14-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13079965)
what do you like ordering at Steak & Shake?

The Frisco Melt. Love dat sourdough.

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Eed4Sjgw/o.jpg

loochy 09-14-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13079962)

We need a "Gay Day with Clay" at Steak and Shake.

Hammock Parties 09-14-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13079972)
We need a "Gay Day with Clay" at Steak and Shake.

I could swing by Tuesday.

ChiefsChick23 09-14-2017 08:06 AM

The food is usually good, at a good price.

But I regularly have AWFUL service there. And that's at locations in Texas, Tennessee, and Missouri.

patteeu 09-14-2017 08:07 AM

The last couple of times I was in a Steak and Shake, they kept the temperature really cold. Next time I go, I'm taking my jacket.

Bob Dole 09-14-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsChick23 (Post 13079977)
The food is usually good, at a good price.

But I regularly have AWFUL service there. And that's at locations in Texas, Tennessee, and Missouri.

Ours was so bad they eliminated the wait staff. We have a new one opening today.

wutamess 09-14-2017 08:10 AM

One in Lee's Summit and Independence.

Dayze 09-14-2017 08:13 AM

I really like it.

I tried Freddy's because my wife said a friend of hers said it was 'just like Steak n Shake".
We tried it, and overall didn't care for it. you could literrally see through the hamburger 'patty' - if that's what you want to call it.

Steak n Shake FTW.

ChiefsChick23 09-14-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13079982)
Ours was so bad they eliminated the wait staff. We have a new one opening today.

That had to be INCREDIBLY bad, given the levels of service I've come to expect. It's the one big downside of S&S and a reason I don't usually choose to go there, even if it's cheaper.

wazu 09-14-2017 08:20 AM

Decent quality food but they pretty much ALWAYS **** up our order so my family dropped them for good.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 08:20 AM

My Uncle lives in Brownsville Tx - he'd indicated that their Whataburger there is terrible. I was like 'WHHHATTTT?'

Simply Red 09-14-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13079971)
The Frisco Melt. Love dat sourdough.

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Eed4Sjgw/o.jpg

oh that does look good!

Unsmooth-Moment 09-14-2017 08:34 AM

Pretty good value place. I have only eaten breakfast there over the last few years though.

sedated 09-14-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13079987)
I tried Freddy's because my wife said a friend of hers said it was 'just like Steak n Shake".
We tried it, and overall didn't care for it. you could literrally see through the hamburger 'patty' - if that's what you want to call it.

Get the double. I love thin burgers, more crust from the flat-top.

tooge 09-14-2017 08:36 AM

Haven't been in several years. Last time I went, they effed up our order, and my burger was shit. Maybe I need to give it another go. I rarely eat fast food though

Simply Red 09-14-2017 08:44 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NAvJeohcCU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Monty 09-14-2017 08:59 AM

Haven't been to S&S since I lived in Texas, but it was always good. I prefer Freddy's(double or triple burger) and Culvers(love that butter burger).

Not to derail, but if I'm in KC, then Hi-Boy gets it done for me, not considering price of course. The S&S deals are really good.

GayFrogs 09-14-2017 08:59 AM

There's one at 63rd and Metcalf...open 24 hours. They take forever to serve you but it's worth it...never get any incorrect orders or anything nasty/stale.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:00 AM

can some of you share the entree selections you have chosen, historically at the S&S? This thread isn't moving like I'd planned. Going to need more participation. Thank you!

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 13080051)
Haven't been to S&S since my lived in Texas, but it was always good. I prefer Freddy's(double or triple burger) and Culvers(love that butter burger).

Not to derail, but if I'm in KC, then Hi-Boy gets it done for me, not considering price of course. The S&S deals are really good.

Not derailing - Hi-Boy is awesome!

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrapethat (Post 13080052)
There's one at 63rd and Metcalf...open 24 hours. They take forever to serve you but it's worth it...never get any incorrect orders or anything nasty/stale.

very good & thank you for the feedbk.

Monty 09-14-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13080057)
Not derailing - Hi-Boy is awesome!

:clap:

Monty 09-14-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13080054)
can some of you share the entree selections you have chosen, historically at the S&S? This thread isn't moving like I'd planned. Going to need more participation. Thank you!

Sheesh! This is my first post in like 3 years....cut me some slack! ROFL

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 13080060)
Sheesh! This is my first post in like 3 years....cut me some slack! ROFL

LMAO

Randallflagg 09-14-2017 09:18 AM

I've eaten at Stake and Shake since I was a kid. For some unknown reason, the Chili 5 ways has always been my favorite..damn, I may have to stop in there today...

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 13080089)
I've eaten at Stake and Shake since I was a kid. For some unknown reason, the Chili 5 ways has always been my favorite..damn, I may have to stop in there today...

I do like their chili-mac - I get it excluding the red sauce - only chili + noodles.

You seem nice.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-14-2017 09:32 AM

Double and a bowl of chili. Take the chili add to burger.. enjoy.

gblowfish 09-14-2017 09:35 AM

Steak n Shake is very popular in St. Louis. It's like their version of Winstead's. A couple of tips if you go there:

1) For breakfast, you can get a bagle with egg and cheese, and instead of sausage, substitute a steak burger. Killer breakfast sandwich. One of my favorites. It's a touch greasy, but man is it good.

2) SnS sells big bags of ice for $.99, which is a tremendous value. I usually buy one and put it in my freezer for making ice tea and such.

3) Service is slow because they make stuff as you order it. So don't go if you're in a hair on fire hurry. It's worth the wait.

SAUTO 09-14-2017 09:35 AM

Their fries suck

Simply Red 09-14-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13080105)
Double and a bowl of chili. Take the chili add to burger.. enjoy.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/26n79NvKOsdg8L8aI" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/26n79NvKOsdg8L8aI">via GIPHY</a></p>

Pasta Little Brioni 09-14-2017 09:39 AM

Clean break heaven

JoeyChuckles 09-14-2017 09:44 AM

I see one on Shawnee Mission parkway that is only maybe 15 minutes from me in Leawood. But it has 3.1 stars on Google with over 400 reviews. That's discourages me from trying it.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 09:46 AM

I've been to Steak & Shake twice in the past 16 month. It's a full service restaurant at the Burbank Media Center, not a drive thru, so my experience may be different.

The first time, in the Fall of 2016, the fries were dried out and the burger not very tasty. I ordered chili fries and they were not good.

We tried it again in July and the food was excellent. I was shocked. They also had a deal for the kids in which they received free shakes of their choice.

Two burgers, three fries, two lemonades, an iced tea and two kid's shakes was $21 dollars with tax, which is a steal in today's market.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080126)
I've been to Steak & Shake twice in the past 16 month. It's a full service restaurant at the Burbank Media Center, not a drive thru, so my experience may be different.

The first time, in the Fall of 2016, the fries were dried out and the burger not very tasty. I ordered chili fries and they were not good.

We tried it again in July and the food was excellent. I was shocked. They also had a deal for the kids in which they received free shakes of their choice.

Two burgers, three fries, two lemonades, an iced tea and two kid's shakes was $21 dollars with tax, which is a steal in today's market.

very good. Every place has an off-day - glad they'd mended their reputation. It's rare to have back-to-back bad outings there.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13080144)
very good. Every place has an off-day - glad they'd mended their reputation. It's rare to have back-to-back bad outings there.

I wouldn't get their chili again because I don't care for kidney bean chili with fries (or in general).

I prefer meatless chili for fries and black bean chili in general.

alpha_omega 09-14-2017 10:23 AM

In my experience...good, but small portions. Haven't been there in a while though.

BucEyedPea 09-14-2017 10:33 AM

I hate S7S burgers—flimsy skinny things. Milkshakes fine but fattening. Do not eat there ever except a few times around 2005. Won't be back.

saphojunkie 09-14-2017 10:37 AM

I was in Cannes this year for the festival and was shocked to see a huge Steak and Shake in one of the most prime locations on the city. Like... across from the Grand Palais.

Seriously.

A steak and shake.

I guess Roger Ebert loved it so much and was so beloved by the Cannes film festival that they brought one over and keep it in his memory.

Rasputin 09-14-2017 10:44 AM

Damn. Never heard of it.

scho63 09-14-2017 11:00 AM

Some of you don't get out much.......

scho63 09-14-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080126)

I thought you were a Spago or Ivy kind of guy? :hmmm:

BucEyedPea 09-14-2017 11:03 AM

Plus their burgers are greasy as an oil slick.

hometeam 09-14-2017 11:03 AM

Our steak and shake here is notoriously dirty, nasty, bad service, undercooked food, overcooked food, and generally just a pile of shit. everyone in the city knows it. Not sure how its still in business TBH.

Predarat 09-14-2017 11:07 AM

Its very good for the price, you can get a cheeseburger, fries and a shake/malt for 6 and change, I think some days maybe less.

SiMMENS 09-14-2017 11:12 AM

The Steak and Shakes here in Columbia all seem to be pretty good. I stepped outside of the usual burgers last time and have to say the Chili Mac Supreme was pretty darn good. I always liked their Chili though

Fire Me Boy! 09-14-2017 11:28 AM

My wife and I do Steak & Shake semi-regularly for a weekend breakfast. They're cheap and quite good. I also like that they have their full menu available, so while my wife gets some kind of biscuit, gravy, sausage, egg skillet, I'll usually still get a double steak burger. Love their fries, and their shakes are quite good. You can get a malt, too! Service at ours is always good.

Dartgod 09-14-2017 11:51 AM

I love their burgers, give me a double cheese with ketchup , mustard and pickles. nom, nom, nom, nom...

I'm not a big fan of their fries though. Give me a fry that holds some ketchup on it without having to grab a big bundle of them. O-rings are good though.

And of course their shakes are tasty. Chocolate is the go to.

Fire Me Boy! 09-14-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DartMod (Post 13080396)
I love their burgers, give me a double cheese with ketchup , mustard and pickles. nom, nom, nom, nom...

I'm not a big fan of their fries though. Give me a fry that holds some ketchup on it without having to grab a big bundle of them. O-rings are good though.

And of course their shakes are tasty. Chocolate is the go to.

Never had their onion rings. But on their fries, about the only time I advocate eating fries with a fork. Just spray ketchup all over and go to town.

Dartgod 09-14-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13080404)
Never had their onion rings. But on their fries, about the only time I advocate eating fries with a fork. Just spray ketchup all over and go to town.

Oh hell no!

No ketchup can ever touch my fries until I'm ready for it to touch my fries.

****ing uncivilized heathen.

Fire Me Boy! 09-14-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DartMod (Post 13080406)
Oh hell no!

No ketchup can ever touch my fries until I'm ready for it to touch my fries.

****ing uncivilized heathen.

You don't let them sit and get soggy. I usually eat one thing at a time, though. So burger, then fries.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13080296)
I thought you were a Spago or Ivy kind of guy? :hmmm:

Taking young children to expensive restaurants is a complete waste of money.

scho63 09-14-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080423)
Taking young children to expensive restaurants is a complete waste of money.

Very true plus single guys like me give you the evil eye when they start acting up! ROFL

Simply Red 09-14-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13080161)
I wouldn't get their chili again because I don't care for kidney bean chili with fries (or in general).

I prefer meatless chili for fries and black bean chili in general.

I'm the same - but their normal chili mac is free of beans - at least out here they are.

Baby Lee 09-14-2017 01:11 PM

Extend your dollar. Sam's club has $50 in gift cards for like $38.

Want a cheap meal, get a Sam's club SnS card, get a coupon and go between 2-5. $3.99 menu gets you burger and fries, coupon gets you free side w/burger meal [I go with salad], and soda/shakes are 1/2 price.

Full meal for $5.50-6.00 tax included, depending on if you get a shake or soda. Plus, with the pro-rating of the gift card, you actually spent $4.20-$4.60 for the meal.

Baby Lee 09-14-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13079987)
I really like it.

Steak n Shake FTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13080019)
Get the double. I love thin burgers, more crust from the flat-top.

That's the danger of a 'smash burger' They take the same amount of meat, but they aggressively press it into the grill to increase the surface area in contact with the grill. Increases the Maillard Reaction, so you get crispy umami bits all over instead of a crust with steamed meat inside. Sometimes you get see-through sections. So you buy a double or a triple.

Note, this video uses a form to keep the thickness, but Freddy's and Steak'n'Shake use a spatula and arm strength. So they get push through.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kBHZBTXDBW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 09-14-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MODSAUTO (Post 13080111)
Their fries suck

I used to HATE their fries. For those who don't know why, they're really really thin, like shoestring potatoes more than fries [that's why FMB suggests eating them with a fork]. Like as thin as a coffee stirrer, as opposed to a pencil or straw.

But the honey mustard makes up for it. Second best honey mustard in the business behind Culvers.

dirk digler 09-14-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13080549)
That's the danger of a 'smash burger' They take the same amount of meat, but they aggressively press it into the grill to increase the surface area in contact with the grill. Increases the Maillard Reaction, so you get crispy umami bits all over instead of a crust with steamed meat inside. Sometimes you get see-through sections. So you buy a double or a triple.

Note, this video uses a form to keep the thickness, but Freddy's and Steak'n'Shake use a spatula and arm strength. So they get push through.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kBHZBTXDBW4" allowfullscreen="" height="480" frameborder="0" width="854"></iframe>

I need one of those forms.

Thanks for sharing.

MMXcalibur 09-14-2017 03:17 PM

I now want something from Steak and Shake.
Thanks.

Easy 6 09-14-2017 05:14 PM

Havent been there for quite a while due to convenience, but the Frisco Melt is just plain excellent, even if a double doesnt even amount to a quarter pounder... the secret is that super extra sweet Thousand Island dressing

Runners up, chili 3 and 5 way... very filling and tasty

Abba-Dabba 09-14-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13080567)
I need one of those forms.

Thanks for sharing.

Just buy a bacon press and dual use it.

BucEyedPea 09-14-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13080549)

Had a Smashburger at the Newark airport, I think it was. I liked it—much more than Steak and Shake's.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:11 PM

Smashburger is overpriced bullshit

lewdog 09-14-2017 06:12 PM

Never had S&S but I judge a burger place more off the fries.

You can have an awesome burger, but if your fries suck, I won't go back. Maybe that's weird?

bevischief 09-14-2017 06:26 PM

Food and price good. But wait staff sucks. Metcalf and Shawnee Mission Parkway.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:27 PM

I've covered Smash Burger experience on CP a couple of times in the past. I got a burger that literally had chunks of grill scrapings on it. So perhaps it was just an off-day - however it's not near the value of S&S - Now I am NOT a fan of S&S fries - but they're not god awful - you almost have to luck out and get them fresh. Culvers fries are turd too.

Fire Me Boy! 09-14-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13081028)
Smashburger is overpriced bullshit

Smash burger is overpriced, but they're good. I prefer 5 Guys, though.

Simply Red 09-14-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13081087)
Smash burger is overpriced, but they're good. I prefer 5 Guys, though.

me too!

Bugeater 09-14-2017 06:48 PM

I have still never experienced Steak and Shake. I wanted to hit one on the way out of Fayetteville last fall but I ended up going to Sonic instead for reasons I can't remember.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-14-2017 06:48 PM

Haven't eaten there in quite a while, but the bacon double w/ fries and cheese sauce is my shit. The cookies are usually really damned good, too. You can get all of that (w/ two cookies) for about $7.50 after tax.

Biggest issue I have with the food is that I feel like I need to use a Stridex pad after eating it. The wrapping on the burger transfers the grease everywhere and I feel like I've been perspiring oil once I'm done.

Bugeater 09-14-2017 06:50 PM

I have a Smashburger within a mile of my house and I've only been there once. There's better local hamburger joints around.

SAUTO 09-14-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13081031)

You can have an awesome burger, but if your fries suck, I won't go back. Maybe that's weird?

I'm the same. Fries have to be good or i won't go back

Psyko Tek 09-14-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13079973)
I could swing by Tuesday.

could you please stick with one name..
you'll always be goat cheese to me

BWillie 09-15-2017 12:20 AM

Has anybody said and I helped yet or nah?

Yeah, I've been drinking too

Wed and Thurs nights are my Fri and Sat night, cuz i'm not normal and have to do couple duties on normal weekends

Baby Lee 09-15-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13081760)
Has anybody said and I helped yet or nah?

Yeah, I've been drinking too

Wed and Thurs nights are my Fri and Sat night, cuz i'm not normal and have to do couple duties on normal weekends

Shake and Bake =! Steak'n'Shake

BWillie 09-15-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13081763)
Shake and Bake =! Steak'n'Shake

Heres the deal, I'm just a big hairy American winning machine. You know?

TimBone 09-15-2017 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13081031)

Not weird, just different tastes. I don't care for fries, so I judge off the burger.