ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Todd Blackledge (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266602)

Deberg_1990 11-13-2012 09:15 PM

Was it Carl and Marty who cut him? I wonder why they never gave him a shot? They thought Steve Peuller and 60 year old Debeg had more talent?

milkman 11-13-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9117008)
Was it Carl and Marty who cut him? I wonder why they never gave him a shot? They thought Steve Peuller and 60 year old Debeg had more talent?

Ron Jaworski.

I'll just leave the cutters alone.

ChiefsCountry 11-13-2012 09:22 PM

He got cut in 1988. That would be Schaff and Frank Ganz.

milkman 11-13-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9117027)
He got cut in 1988. That would be Schaff and Frank Ganz.

Don't mess with the lexicon.

Holladay 11-14-2012 05:08 AM

lol...you all just like messing with ppl. give the kid a break.

DaKCMan AP 11-14-2012 06:13 AM

Very nice, personable guy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8...6b3871be_n.jpg

penchief 11-14-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9116859)
He played in the big ten.

No, he didn't.

RippedmyFlesh 11-14-2012 07:44 AM

Noodle armed Penn State system qb. A "nice" guy as far as fans are concerned but not even close to being even an average nfl qb. The fact that he sucked wasn't as bad as the fact so many other qb's were drafted that year and we picked the worst one.

Dave Lane 11-14-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9117694)

He's a sack of ****ing shit! Anyone that is so bad they cause my team to not draft another first round QB for 30 years can die in a ****ing fire.

DaKCMan AP 11-14-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9117796)
He's a sack of ****ing shit! Anyone that is so bad they cause my team to not draft another first round QB for 30 years can die in a ****ing fire.

You can't blame Blackledge. There have been terrible QBs drafted early (Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, David Klinger, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware, Chris Miller, Chuck Long) and other franchises have since drafted multiple QBs early.

Ace Gunner 11-14-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9117796)

ROFL but when are chiefs fans going to figure out the franchise has been putting veteran QB's in to fill seats year after year. That is mostly on the Hunt family, who hired swindling playas like CP who trotted out FA after FA for them.

BlackHelicopters 11-14-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchief (Post 9117712)
No, he didn't.

Penn State was not in the Big Ten yet. Blackledge won games beating up the Temples and Rutgers types mostly.

Rain Man 11-14-2012 09:17 AM

In all seriousness, I've always wondered about him, too.

In those days, it wasn't always possible to see Chiefs games since there were no sports bars or Internet or Sunday Ticket. I lived in Rolla, and between working on Sundays and simply not having coverage over the competing football Cardinals I typically got to see maybe half the Chiefs games each year during much of the Blackledge era.

In the few games where I saw him, I certainly didn't think that he was terrible or anything, just an inexperienced quarterback playing the game. I kept assuming that he was going to take over the starting role and start dominating, and it never happened. Obviously there was something that wasn't happening that I wasn't seeing at the time. I recall that Bill Kenney was actually very productive the year or two around the time Blackledge was drafted, so there was a bit of a question about how long they would ride Kenney and let Blackledge learn. Kenney had his supporters even as a long-term starter, though his star faded relatively quickly.

When the guy got drafted, it was quite an exciting prospect. Smellway was known to be the #1 guy going to the Colts, but there was no controversy at all about Blackledge going second, at least in the mainstream press that I had access to at the time. He was seen as a very strong QB prospect. But for some reason he could never unseat Kenney.

Deberg_1990 11-14-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9117948)
In all seriousness, I've always wondered about him, too.

In those days, it wasn't always possible to see Chiefs games since there were no sports bars or Internet or Sunday Ticket. I lived in Rolla, and between working on Sundays and simply not having coverage over the competing football Cardinals I typically got to see maybe half the Chiefs games each year during much of the Blackledge era.

In the few games where I saw him, I certainly didn't think that he was terrible or anything, just an inexperienced quarterback playing the game. I kept assuming that he was going to take over the starting role and start dominating, and it never happened. Obviously there was something that wasn't happening that I wasn't seeing at the time. I recall that Bill Kenney was actually very productive the year or two around the time Blackledge was drafted, so there was a bit of a question about how long they would ride Kenney and let Blackledge learn. Kenney had his supporters even as a long-term starter, though his star faded relatively quickly.

When the guy got drafted, it was quite an exciting prospect. Smellway was known to be the #1 guy going to the Colts, but there was no controversy at all about Blackledge going second, at least in the mainstream press that I had access to at the time. He was seen as a very strong QB prospect. But for some reason he could never unseat Kenney.

There just wasnt the sports coverage that there is now back then. Plus, half the games were blacked out.

Imagine the scrutiny he would have been under had he played in this era.

Braincase 11-14-2012 10:31 AM

Think Dayne Crist. All blow, no show.