ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Channeling the 2012 version of Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305758)

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:07 PM

Channeling the 2012 version of Alex Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9plNqVr2qRo -- definitely the best 8 games played by Smith in his career, stuff we haven't seen on a routine basis

In 8.5 games he threw for 13 TD's , QB rating 102, QBR 68 , 70% completion. Only 26 pass attempts/game yet put up a 6% TD rate (highest as a Chief was 4.5%)

There are 2 clear differences 1) He had great pocket protection and stayed in it more frequently (runs thru progressions routinely) 2) He really trusted options 3-5 to go after the ball (Manningham, Walker, Moss). I think Hill and Conley have built a good amount of trust thus far (but not holding my breath on Harris and Wilson)

Comparing his weapons then and now:
Maclin = Crabtree (push)
T Hill, Conley > Manningham, Moss
Kelce > Davis
Harris << Delanie Walker
Albert Wilson = Kyle Williams (push)
Spencer Ware (4.3 ypc, 3 tds) < Frank Gore (4.7 ypc, 8 tds)
Charcandrick West (3.3 ypc) < Kendall Hunter (5.2 ypc)
Anthony Sherman = Bruce Miller (push)
KC O-Line < San Fran O-line

I think Smith has most of the weapons in place for 2017. If we want bigger plays then we should draft a lineman in round 3 to compete for the center or guard position. We can also look for a versatile RB to be the back-up to Ware cause West is clearly not getting the job done.

#InDorseyWeTrust

RunKC 02-04-2017 12:08 PM

Can we just funnel this posters Alex threads into one so he doesn't spam the board with his garbage?

Thx

New World Order 02-04-2017 12:10 PM

So he wasn't even on pace to break Cassel's 27 passing touchdowns in 2010.

Great.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12726108)
Can we just funnel this posters Alex threads into one so he doesn't spam the board with his garbage?

Thx

Spamming the board when I average 1 thread a month? You should respect the TOS instead of being a punk ass bitch, kid.

And quite frankly, I've read your posts over the last 2 days and they are absolute shit and most people are disagreeing with you. Your football takes are changing by the hour. FWIW.

Bowser 02-04-2017 12:19 PM

So five years ago with a better o-line and better running backs in a Jim Harbaugh led system, Alex was pretty good? Is that what I'm supposed to take from this? And Mitch Morse isn't going anywhere. He put on a clinic as a center in 2016.

There is no mythical quantum leap for Alex waiting to happen. He is who he is at this point. Even if he had the 2003 Chiefs o-line he isn't going to magically turn into some QB that is capable of putting the team on his back week in and week out.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:21 PM

But can Morse push the pile? I think he is great in pass pro and downfield blocking but his build is a disadvantage. I think LDT can achieve to be above average but for a guy who has his career plans on being a Doctor.

We got good value out of LDT and he was a good placeholder but it's time to look for an excellent long term solution who can be top 5 at the position.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:27 PM

No one is asking him to put the team on his back but it's time to improve a couple parts on the offensive side where it really needs the help. We have the draft picks to do so. Actually, a lot of draft picks.

Hammock Parties 02-04-2017 12:28 PM

There was a lot to like about 2012 Alex Smith.

193 yards per start? 28th.

11.4 yards per completion? 23rd.

25th on third down? Brutally bad.

Same old shitty quarterback.

And he'll never be that "good" again. Four seasons is a lifetime ago. He's on a clear decline.

Adios.

Rasputin 02-04-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12726142)
No one is asking him to put the team on his back but it's time to improve a couple parts on the offensive side where it really needs the help. We have the draft picks to do so. Actually, a lot of draft picks.

Teams ask quarterbacks like Aaron Rogers to put his team on his back but we can't expect more out of a 1.1 draft pick we traded for?

****ing bull shit.

Alex Smith needs to step up his game or get out of the way to someone who can, preferably a draft pick that can get better over the years to build around.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:36 PM

Yet Aaron Rodgers said so himself, he can't put the team on his back. He needs a defense. (Rodger's defense was ranked 2nd when he won a ring).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuASNMk_ixA
Why do you think Tony wants to go to the Broncos, Chiefs, Texans, or Cards???

Defense wins Championships. If you haven't figured that out yet, I feel sorry for you.

Meatloaf 02-04-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12726155)
Teams ask quarterbacks like Aaron Rogers to put his team on his back but we can't expect more out of a 1.1 draft pick we traded for?

****ing bull shit.

Alex Smith needs to step up his game or get out of the way to someone who can, preferably a draft pick that can get better over the years to build around.

Agreed, if you're not getting better, it might be time to find another guy. And clearly, AS isn't getting better. He's good/consistent enough to keep around while grooming a guy, but he's definitely not "The Answer".

Meatloaf 02-04-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12726160)
Yet Aaron Rodgers said so himself, he can't put the team on his back. He needs a defense. (His defense was ranked 2nd when he won a ring).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuASNMk_ixA
Why do you think Tony wants to go to the Broncos, Chiefs, Texans, or Cards???

Defense wins Championships. If you haven't figured that out yet, I feel sorry for you.

TUC, I appreciate your takes (though I don't always agree with them) as they do stimulate discussion on the board, so thanks for that.

As per Defense wins Championships, well, that's not untrue, but to win the Big Encillada, you'd better be damn solid in all phases of the game. I think our defense is nearing Super Bowl prowess, but clearly, the offense....ummmm....sucks. Is Alex the entire problem with the offense? Certainly not. But, it sure seems like he's the major reason for our sorry performance. Gotta get more out of that QB position.

bevischief 02-04-2017 12:46 PM

Alex sucks the penis. End of thread.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-04-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatloaf (Post 12726174)
TUC, I appreciate your takes (though I don't always agree with them) as they do stimulate discussion on the board, so thanks for that.

As per Defense wins Championships, well, that's not untrue, but to win the Big Encillada, you'd better be damn solid in all phases of the game. I think our defense is nearing Super Bowl prowess, but clearly, the offense....ummmm....sucks. Is Alex the entire problem with the offense? Certainly not. But, it sure seems like he's the major reason for our sorry performance. Gotta get more out of that QB position.

Thanks.

Problem is our run defense was in the bottom 8 and Leveon Bell put up 170 yards on us. If you want to control time of possession you have to stop the run.

Seattle and Denver's run defense allowed just 3.3 ypc in their SB runs.

Hammock Parties 02-04-2017 12:49 PM

2012 Alex Smith didn't even throw the ball down the field as much as 2016 Alex Smith.

17 attempts over 20 yards in 8.5 games? LMAO

Nobody wants 2012 Alex Smith.