ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Polenta... what am I doing wrong? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271722)

Fire Me Boy! 04-03-2013 10:21 AM

Polenta... what am I doing wrong?

Admittedly, until a week ago, I'd never had polenta. Got a recipe on a blog for a creamy polenta with sausages and peppers, which looked tasty. Made the recipe, and it was not good. Don't think I did anything wrong. Ended up going out for Mexican.

I didn't even realize it's akin to grits, which I also find kinda gross. I've tried grits many times living in the South, and only had them when I thought they were decent once - oddly, it was at a barbecue competition.

Is crispy polenta fried on the flat top any better?

What's your take on it?

NewChief 04-03-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9553070)
Admittedly, until a week ago, I'd never had polenta. Got a recipe on a blog for a creamy polenta with sausages and peppers, which looked tasty. Made the recipe, and it was not good. Don't think I did anything wrong. Ended up going out for Mexican.

I didn't even realize it's akin to grits, which I also find kinda gross. I've tried grits many times living in the South, and only had them when I thought they were decent once - oddly, it was at a barbecue competition.

Is crispy polenta fried on the flat top any better?

What's your take on it?

Grits, in my opinion, need eggs added to them to transform them to the next level. This turns them into a more polenta like "cake" than the sloppy soup variety.

I do my grits on the stovetop then transfer to the oven. Temper two eggs with milk and add into the grits. Add cheese and a stick of butter. Pour into casserole dish and bake until set.

You can play with flavors, as grits are basically tasteless. Garlic, chili, smoked gouda, chipotle, jalapeno, whatever....

RealSNR 04-03-2013 10:31 AM

Who the **** are you? Tom Cruise?

Fire Me Boy! 04-03-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9553103)

Goddammit, who told SNR? :cuss:

tooge 04-03-2013 10:36 AM

FMB, it must be a texture thing for you? I love me some grits with butter and cheese. All creamy and porridge like. Add some crawfish etoufee and you are good to go. If you simply don't like grits, you simply wont like polenta. they are essentially the same thing.

Stewie 04-03-2013 10:37 AM

As much as I love corn, I'm not a fan of polenta or grits.

I think Alton Brown uses lots of butter and cheese to make it palatable.

Fire Me Boy! 04-03-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9553119)
FMB, it must be a texture thing for you? I love me some grits with butter and cheese. All creamy and porridge like. Add some crawfish etoufee and you are good to go. If you simply don't like grits, you simply wont like polenta. they are essentially the same thing.

The texture doesn't really bother me on either polenta or grits. I didn't like the flavor, as much as I dig corn. What about those fried up polenta cakes? Do they taste any different?

sedated 04-03-2013 10:39 AM

Only form of grits I've ever been able to eat is shrimp and grits. Its a texture thing for me, and something about the shrimp/sauce makes them edible.

NewChief 04-03-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9553133)
The texture doesn't really bother me on either polenta or grits. I didn't like the flavor, as much as I dig corn. What about those fried up polenta cakes? Do they taste any different?

They taste like nothing.

Add flavor.

RealSNR 04-03-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9553103)

In case people don't get the joke (I don't blame you, this is obscure shit)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1383046.html

Sorter 04-03-2013 10:42 AM

Hate grits.

Love polenta.

You can stick the polenta in the oven and get it crispy if you like.

DonInDenver 04-03-2013 11:37 AM

Try it fried with some butter or bacon grease.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9553133)

You might want to try what I have, FMB. I know that many prefer savory with their grits, but I go with sweet. I add a bit of maple syrup to the grits and that works wonders for me.

Dayze 04-03-2013 11:54 AM

I thought this was a thread about Placenta.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I know a lot about that subject.

Just Passin' By 04-03-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9553349)
I thought this was a thread about Placenta.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I know a lot about that subject.

Do you use cheese or maple syrup with that?