ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   ENDelt's deck thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118905)

ENDelt260 04-19-2005 06:55 PM

Boozer 04-19-2005 07:24 PM

Might as well get this one out of the way...

Those stairs look like they've seen some heavy duty service, you know, like from fat chicks. 'Cause ENDelt likes his girls heavy.

Saulbadguy 04-19-2005 07:58 PM

You are going to rip it out? Is your HOA not responsible for that?

Saulbadguy 04-19-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Every unit doesn't have one, so it's my responsibility.

Gotcha. Our "deck" area is our responsibility as well.

Hammock Parties 04-19-2005 09:33 PM

How many times have you had sex out there?

PastorMikH 05-16-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
How many times have you had sex out there?

Probably none. That deck doesn't look like it could support the weight.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2005 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
Probably none. That deck doesn't look like it could support the weight.

Zing!

Jenson71 05-16-2005 08:14 PM

Quote:

Now, the hot tub on the other hand...

You have a hot tub or you're gonna put one up there?

Grill?

Phobia 05-16-2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71
You have a hot tub or you're gonna put one up there?

Grill?

Dude - just wait for the after shots.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2005 09:39 PM

You gonna tile that sumbitch?

KCWolfman 05-16-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Phil's best attempt at making my neighbors hate me

That's his best?

Damn, I would have used some spray paint graffiti on the boards mentioning everyone's ethnicity.

Don't tell me he is playing that Celine Dion music real loud while he works again.

KCWolfman 05-16-2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

Everyone's ethnicity? Dude, I live in Scottsdale. The only non-white people in this town a) don't speak English and b) are either selling roses at your local drinking establishment or hanging out at Home Depot waiting for Phil to come pick them up to help work on my deck.

LOL. My kids said the same thing about Home Depot when they visited the grandparents in Phoenix last January.

Logical 05-17-2005 01:34 AM

Quote:

Got interrupted for a minute. Here's a shot of the deck standing on it.

I see the Arizona sun has done a number on it. Are you planning to replace it with more wood or a composite material?

Skip Towne 05-17-2005 07:20 AM

Shouldn't this job have been scheduled for December when the temperature was below 130°?

Logical 05-17-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Wood. Phil thought the synthetic stuff would get too hot.

That is a good point, though they are more durable, their closed pore systems would not release the heat like wood.

KCWolfman 05-17-2005 10:54 PM

Quote:

Hey, that's Phil's problem. Well, unless he has a stroke before he finishes. That would suck.

Do you have a CPR merit badge?

It would be a shame to stand over his dying body and tell him that you would save him, but legally you are no longer an Eagle Scout and allowed to do so.

unlurking 05-17-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
Do you have a CPR merit badge?

It would be a shame to stand over his dying body and tell him that you would save him, but legally you are no longer an Eagle Scout and allowed to do so.

ROFL

Otter 05-18-2005 07:47 AM

I want to see the pic of Endo sitting back in the shade drinking a brew while Phil is hauling 4x4s and fighting off heat stroke.

Phobia 05-18-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
I want to see the pic of Endo sitting back in the shade drinking a brew while Phil is hauling 4x4s and fighting off heat stroke.

Heh - not gonna happen. I've erected a shade over the entire deck and yesterday installed misters. Those misters make a lot of difference.

Skip Towne 05-18-2005 08:21 AM

Is there any cold beer being consumed during this project? We also need an update on the neighbor girl.

Nzoner 05-18-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

It seems like every time one of us leaves the house he comes back with more beer. There must be five or six different varieties of beer in my fridge right now.

I've read this over a few times now and I just don't see the problem.

Nzoner 05-18-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

Who said there was a problem?

Your it seems like everytime... had a bit of a whine to it,but then again I'm just jealous so pay me no mind.

Nzoner 05-18-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

A bit of whine? You must be applying someone else's tone of voice to my words. C'mon, man. I love beer.

I usually don't mix as many in a night as I have been, though. I'm more of a drink one beer all night kind of guy. But, on Monday, IIRC, I started w/ Sam Adams Summer Ale, then had Sam Adams Double Bock, then Nimbus Old Monkeyshine, and finally Alaskan Amber. Last night I started w/ the Summer Ale again.. at some point had an Alaskan, then went back to Summer Ale. Some Maudite and Hidden River Black & Tan got tossed in there. Then more Summer Ale & Alaskan. I must've finished off the Summer Ale and Alaskan, because I ended the night with Bass.

I don't even know what all is still in the fridge. I know there's a twelver of Bass and a twelver of Sam Adams. There's still some Hidden River Black & Tan. There's a bottle of something I don't remember the name of that Phil picked up at the liquor store on Monday. There may still be some other stuff.

My fridge is a happy place.

Damn,I caught a buzz just reading that.

Saulbadguy 05-18-2005 01:09 PM

Whenever I mix and match beers, I get the farts.

Bowser 05-18-2005 01:49 PM

Damn! I had to triple take the thread title. This thread is one letter away from being a real nightmare!

And how did I know this discussion would spiral into beer consumption and the neighbor girl? Saul telling us he farts when he has a variety of beers was a curveball, though.

Bob Dole 05-18-2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy

Breathing has the same effect on Bob Dole.

Iowanian 05-18-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy

I think you accidently mispelled "queef"

Phobia 05-18-2005 02:46 PM

Shit. I have to pull up some subfloor and do some joist repair. That's gonna set me back a day.

go bo 05-18-2005 02:58 PM

this thread is worthless without pics... :p :p :p

Iowanian 05-18-2005 03:03 PM

Build those steps with extra strenth
reinforce between great lengths.
The steps will creek and strain with tons of weight
As Delt opens up the trailer gate.
His date sees hot-ub but forced to stop
Must catch her breath to make the top.

He's known a fan of all things blubber
the Ladith man, no fear of flubber

Those 2x12's you'd better double
else this deck, end up in rubble.

Bowser 05-18-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian

Gotta go spread some rep around......

dirk digler 05-18-2005 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian

ROFL

Bowser 05-18-2005 08:20 PM

Nice grill! Too bad that the reflection from that chrome grill is going to burn down the condo in that desert sun!

jspchief 05-18-2005 08:43 PM

So what is the subfloor made of? I can't tell from the pics. How are you going to make it shed water?

PastorMikH 05-18-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

Some new pics.

First up, my grill is bigger than yours!

Uhm, no, it's not. In fact, I think I my grill is the biggest Grill on the Planet.

:D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attac...id=41708&stc=1

Manila-Chief 05-19-2005 12:47 AM

Wow!!! I've heard of churches expecting a lot from a pastor but this is ridiculous! Most churches feed their pastor but your church expects you to feed the whole congregation!!! The guys in the congregation have to worry about feeding their family but you .....

Phobia 05-19-2005 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
So what is the subfloor made of? I can't tell from the pics. How are you going to make it shed water?

Don't ask. If I ever meet the architect, I'll crack him in the mouth. This is horribly designed. You don't even want to know. You'd be horrified.

BigRedChief 05-19-2005 07:57 AM

Quote:

Uhm, no, it's not. In fact, I think I my grill is the biggest Grill on the Planet.

Holy Batman! The King of grills has arrived. All Hail the Grillmaster! :toast:

Skip Towne 05-19-2005 08:04 AM

It will take a deuce and a quarter to pull that grill around.

Mr. Kotter 05-19-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Biggest "grill" on the Planet, Pastor? :shake:

A bit of humility may be in order... ;)

KC Dan 05-19-2005 09:24 AM

How much longer will Phil be out there?

KC Dan 05-19-2005 09:39 AM

Quote:

Til he's done.

Yeah, that helps nimrod! He will probably be gone but I will be there on May 31st for four days

Katipan 05-19-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

I can't say I can really think of any off the top of my head.

There's not really a lot of good spots out there. That table's usually filthy. The walls aren't smooth, I'd imagine they'd be quite uncomfortable to lean against. Even if the boards were new and perfect, they'd still be hard and uncomfortable. As it is, they're in quite the state of disrepair. No one would consider laying down on them.

Now, the hot tub on the other hand...

I'm so bummed over your lack of imagination.

Scaga 05-19-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

His goal is to be gone by then... but, we'll see if that happens.

Pink would like a couple of days notice before he heads home....
so she can...ummm.... clean up. Yea...that's the ticket.

KC Dan 05-19-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

His goal is to be gone by then... but, we'll see if that happens.

It won't as long as he continues to post on the planet when he should be working on your deck!

Phobia 05-19-2005 10:22 AM

Hell, I've already completed the work of 2 men this morning. Now I'm off to the depot to buy more shit.

Iowanian 05-19-2005 11:00 AM

Sounds like my poem was correct, and you'd better double up those Joists.

The water splashes out the Top
this nights girl, did belly flop.
The Hot tub, a great idear
4 person tub will fit her rear.

A lesson learned, Too much to expect
1 cannon ball, 1 water bed wrecked.
In cursing rage, she's someone's daughter
your condo filled....4" of water.

You fell a sleep and now its morning
should have heeded, weight limit warning.
Awkward chat as you get dressed
She'll back tonight,
she's got your address

RedNFeisty 05-19-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mer
I'm so bummed over your lack of imagination.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

jspchief 05-20-2005 02:51 PM

Hey Phil, what are you going to do for joists under the decking? I assume you're just going to do what they did before and lay down floating 2xs.

You might want to cut some extra strips from the 90# to use as pads under them, so they aren't sitting directly on the roofing material. That way any wear from friction should occur on the strips. If you have enough room, you might even buy a sheet of 1/2" fiber board an cut strips out of that.

I thought of that after I talked to you the other day. Hope I'm not too late with the suggestion.

Donger 05-20-2005 03:00 PM

Phobia, where are you going to buy wood? I'm contemplating a very simple 8x8 deck, and I've priced 2"x6"x8' pressure-treated pine at Home Depot at $6.69 each.

Is that expensive?

Donger 05-20-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

When they're done, I'll post some shots of that.

Take pictures of them when they're working. They like that.

Phobia 05-20-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger
Phobia, where are you going to buy wood? I'm contemplating a very simple 8x8 deck, and I've priced 2"x6"x8' pressure-treated pine at Home Depot at $6.69 each.

Is that expensive?

Nah. That's about right. Believe it or not, I get most of my lumber at Lowes and Home Depot. The local lumber yards and deck suppliers aren't any cheaper and there's a Lowes/Depot within a couple miles of all my jobs.

Donger 05-20-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Nah. That's about right. Believe it or not, I get most of my lumber at Lowes and Home Depot. The local lumber yards and deck suppliers aren't any cheaper and there's a Lowes/Depot within a couple miles of all my jobs.

Excellent. Thank you. I'm tempted to buy the redwood but it's around $9.50 a board. The Douglas Fir is $4.50. Ever use Douglas Fir?

Phobia 05-20-2005 07:46 PM

Use douglas fir on a deck only if you intend to put about 3 coats of paint on each side.

Logical 05-20-2005 10:35 PM

Quote:

Putting together the new decking has begun.

That looks nice. I expect a great result. On other fronts your HOA sucks, because those stairs are indeed same as before in color and look almost as bad. Oh well at least I am sure they are safe now.

Skip Towne 05-21-2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

New steps.

Are those steps wide enough for.....um.....the things you need to take up there?

Baby Lee 05-21-2005 11:18 AM

Any consideration to laying your deck out in Trex or the like?
My buddy just got one of those multi-level decks that span the entire back of the house, and it was composed entirely of composite. Don't know if it was Trex or one of the competitors. Mix of sawdust and recycled plastics with UV protection. He chose the one he did because of it's sturdiness and because it was molded with redwood grain.
Very nice.
Not too much more expensive in the long haul, considering that it's maintenance free. Biggest drawback was it is murder on sawblades. Think MDF on crack.

PastorMikH 05-21-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Are those steps wide enough for.....um.....the things you need to take up there?

If she won't fit up those steps, she's to heavy for Phil's work anyway.:)

Skip Towne 05-21-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

If she won't fit up those steps, she's to heavy for Phil's work anyway.:)

ROFL Good one!!

Bob Dole 05-23-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

There was discussion of using composite, but Phil was concerned that the composite decking holds heat more than wood, and that in Arizona that could be an important detail. So, we went with wood.

Wood-amia.

Baby Lee 05-23-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

There was discussion of using composite, but Phil was concerned that the composite decking holds heat more than wood, and that in Arizona that could be an important detail. So, we went with wood.

I can see that as a concern, particularly as you are inevitably gonna run into recycled plastics.
Just kind of interested in how much work they've put into durability under extreme heat, because my buddy put a lot of research into what the specs were on durability under UV and durability under changing conditions [hot to cold].
And I must say, it's a sweet deck. Now to see how it looks 10-15 years from now.

Bob Dole 05-23-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

I don't think that speech pattern ever did actually get utilized. Though, to be honest, my memory's kinda blurry.

Perhaps that's one of the problemamias.

|Zach| 05-23-2005 08:25 PM

I just started a new job today doing deck preservation and stuff like that. It has been good so far.

Phobia 05-23-2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
That looks nice. I expect a great result. On other fronts your HOA sucks, because those stairs are indeed same as before in color and look almost as bad. Oh well at least I am sure they are safe now.

Those steps haven't been painted yet. The kickboards were recycled from the previous stairs, but the decking on the stairs is an unpainted redwood. Despite the grain patterns in the wood playing tricks on your eyes, they're completely straight and level now. In some spots we had to make a 3" adjustment to the right side.

Phobia 05-23-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
I can see that as a concern, particularly as you are inevitably gonna run into recycled plastics.
Just kind of interested in how much work they've put into durability under extreme heat, because my buddy put a lot of research into what the specs were on durability under UV and durability under changing conditions [hot to cold].
And I must say, it's a sweet deck. Now to see how it looks 10-15 years from now.

I wasn't as concerend about the temperature affecting durability as I was comfort. I've experienced a hybrid wood and trex deck in 90 degree heat. The trex was too hot to stand on and I had to jump over to the wood decking. I can't imagine how that would affect not only the comfort on his feet, but also the surrounding temperature if the plastic is holding that much heat. If he were allowed to cover the deck, that would be another story.

teedubya 05-25-2005 08:25 PM

this deck progress is going really slow as far as I can see.

NewChief 05-25-2005 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Chi3fs
this deck progress is going really slow as far as I can see.

I think for an accurate picture of what's going on now, we should all go rent Leaving Las Vegas. For Phil's part, just picture Elizabeth Shue with a much bigger head and a goatee.

unlurking 05-26-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

I've just been lazy the past couple days. We were out of town over the weekend. Monday got lost to Mexico. I'll probably post some new pics tomorrow.

Well, it's tomorrow lazy ass!

;)

unlurking 05-26-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but it ain't quittin' time in AZ yet.

Ahh, good point, work that lazy biotch to the bone.

Oughtta post pics of you lounging with a drink in your hand while Phobia's on his hands and knees poppin nails into the deck!

;)

KCWolfman 05-26-2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking
Ahh, good point, work that lazy biotch to the bone.

Oughtta post pics of you lounging with a drink in your hand while Phobia's on his hands and knees poppin nails into the deck!

;)

That's what I was thinkin

"Okay, deck boy, if you get enough done tonight, you get a single clue as to where the truck is being stored. If I don't see progress, then you only get a piece of the truck, removed with a sledgehammer"

Jenny Gump 05-26-2005 08:20 PM

Wow, you have a big deck.

KCWolfman 05-26-2005 09:13 PM

Quote:

Just a couple new pics today.

More progress on the decking.

That broad's legs are horrible. I sure hope she can cook at least.

KC Dan 05-26-2005 09:26 PM

Phil gonna still be there Tuesday night?

pink 05-26-2005 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan
Phil gonna still be there Tuesday night?

his wife hopes not.

Mr. Kotter 05-26-2005 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink
his wife hopes not.

Gettin' horny, eh?

teedubya 05-26-2005 09:36 PM

progress looking good. that phil guy apparently has a skill or two... who knew?

KC Jones 05-26-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Chi3fs
that phil guy apparently has a skill or two... who knew?

That's weird, his wife was just talking about how unskilled he was just last night.

cdcox 05-27-2005 12:12 AM

I notice you have a solid wall around your deck. Have Phobia leave a section a little shorter so you and your male guests can experience one of the finer pleasures in life: whizing off the deck. Not every one has enough length to flop it over or a small enough prostrate (Skip) to arch it over.

NewChief 05-27-2005 04:54 AM

That's looking pretty sweet. Very pretty wood that's beign used. I didn't realize you'd gottten so ambitious with it...bar, outdoor kitchen, daaamn.

KC Dan 05-27-2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

I suppose that depends on the progress made this weekend. I honestly don't know how long it will take him to finish what's left. It seems to me that there's a lot left to be done, but I don't have a solid grasp on what tasks are more time consuming than others.

Well, I will give you a call while I'm there. I will be staying closer to the airport this time at Legacy Golf Resort. Be there Monday night through Friday.