ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Norwegian skydiver nearly struck by meteorite (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282793)

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 11:56 AM

Norwegian skydiver nearly struck by meteorite

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jfEdEIwhj6s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One summer day in 2012, Anders Helstrup and several other members of Oslo Parachute Club jumped from a small plane that had taken off from Østre Æra Airport in Hedmark.

Helstrup, wearing a wing suit and with two cameras fixed to his helmet, released his parachute. On the way down he realised something was happening.

“I got the feeling that there was something, but I didn’t register what was happening,” Helstrup explained to NRK.no.

Read article in Norwegian
Immediately after landing, he looked through the film from the jump, which clearly showed that something did happen.

Something that looks like a stone hurtles past Helstrup – clearing him by only a few metres.

Search party in the forest
Later that day, Helstrup returned to Oslo. But he could not stop thinking about his strange experience, so he took time off from work to go back to the Rena area for a couple of days to look for the stone – but with no luck.

Anders Helstrup - Anders Helstrup in his wing suit. - Foto: Roger Myren / NRK
Anders Helstrup in his wing suit.
FOTO: ROGER MYREN / NRK
“We continued the search during the summer. I got my girlfriend, family and friends to join the project. We searched the forest and kept looking."

By then, Helstrup had already formed the idea that it was a meteorite that flew past him.

“When we stopped the film, we could clearly see something that looked like a stone. At first it crossed my mind that it had been packed into a parachute, but it’s simply too big for that.”

Meteorite experts get involved
Eventually Helstrup contacted the Natural History Museum in Oslo.

“The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community. They seemed convinced that this was a meteorite, perhaps I was the one who was the most sceptical.”

Now Helstrup suddenly had a whole flock of meteorite enthusiasts following him. They analysed and triangulated and narrowed down the search area.

In the summer of 2012 Helstrup and his helpers had begun searching an area of one and a half square kilometres. Today, the area has been limited to 100 times a hundred meters, but that’s big enough – especially when you’re not really sure what a meteorite looks like.

“I found a stone which I thought was a meteorite and took it to the museum. They just fell about laughing,” Helstrup revealed.

“It can’t be anything else”
Although Helstrup is still not completely convinced that it was indeed a meteorite that flew past him, the experts are in no doubt.

“It can’t be anything else. The shape is typical of meteorites – a fresh fracture surface on one side, while the other side is rounded,” said geologist Hans Amundsen.

He explained that the meteorite had been part of a larger stone that had exploded perhaps 20 kilometres above Helstrup.

Amundsen thinks he can make out coloured patches in the stone, and believes that in that case it may be a breccia – a common type of meteorite rock.

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nea...ite-1.11646757

saphojunkie 04-04-2014 12:01 PM

What's up, Norwegian Jennifer Lawrence?

planetdoc 04-04-2014 12:07 PM

the reporter girl is a cutie.

htismaqe 04-04-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10539048)
the reporter girl is a cutie.

Would.

Bowser 04-04-2014 12:11 PM

Looks like someone flushed a toilet on board a 767 at 38,000 feet.

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 12:14 PM

That would be a painful bowel movement.

BlackHelicopters 04-04-2014 12:16 PM

Would

seclark 04-04-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10539052)
Looks like someone flushed a toilet on board a 767 at 38,000 feet.

that's a space peanut.
sec

Halfcan 04-04-2014 12:28 PM

The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community

3 people in Norway got a chubby when they saw the video.

fan4ever 04-04-2014 12:52 PM

Thank God he wasn't hurt.

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10539079)
The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community

3 people in Norway got a chubby when they saw the video.

Sure the first time anything like this has ever been seen or filmed, sure thats nothing. Hey back to the Bachelor!

Jimmya 04-04-2014 12:59 PM

Crazy news daily.

CaliforniaChief 04-04-2014 01:31 PM

That's pretty amazing.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-04-2014 01:37 PM

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Rtm8w3o63AA/hqdefault.jpg

Fish 04-04-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10539039)
What's up, Norwegian Jennifer Lawrence?

Eldrid Borgan

Norwegian host of a show called Schrödinger's cat.
PHD in molecular biology.
Loves anal.