ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Should the Chiefs have drafted Flacco over Dorsey? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197593)

Deberg_1990 11-30-2008 02:14 PM

Should the Chiefs have drafted Flacco over Dorsey?

Hmmmmm....

IM just saying....

Reerun_KC 11-30-2008 02:15 PM

Bawhahhahahaha we have Thigpen and Huard....

Chiefs Pantalones 11-30-2008 02:16 PM

Don't judge Dorsey yet, it's still early.

Hootie 11-30-2008 02:16 PM

Uhm, no.

bowener 11-30-2008 02:17 PM

Had we done that, Flacco would either still be on the bench or at home sitting on a couch with 6 busted ribs and G. Dorsey would be up for DROY by now.

Reerun_KC 11-30-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 5258758)
Don't judge Dorsey yet, it's still early.

And stop judging Flaco or Ryan, its still early...

Hootie 11-30-2008 02:17 PM

The thread should be Flacco over Albert if anything...and I like Albert...and I think Flacco is so/so...I don't think he's ever going to be a great QB.

Reerun_KC 11-30-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 5258761)
Had we done that, Flacco would either still be on the bench or at home sitting on a couch with 6 busted ribs and G. Dorsey would be up for DROY by now.

True, we lack coaching therefore no matter whom we draft, their chances arent very good....

Reerun_KC 11-30-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5258763)
The thread should be Flacco over Albert if anything...and I like Albert...and I think Flacco is so/so...I don't think he's ever going to be a great QB.

:hmmm:

Didnt you pimp Huard as the next great thing for a couple of years? I think your QB evaluation skills are in question...

Flaco will have more of a career than Huard ever dreamed of....

FringeNC 11-30-2008 02:19 PM

Most GMs would have drafted Dorsey in our position. Most GMs wouldn't have hired Edwards or retained Gunther, though.

blueballs 11-30-2008 02:19 PM

How did I ever make a more retarted thread than this
I didn't

Hootie 11-30-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5258766)
:hmmm:

Didnt you pimp Huard as the next great thing for a couple of years? I think your QB evaluation skills are in question...

Flaco will have more of a career than Huard ever dreamed of....

You're hugely mistaken.

Never did I ONCE call Huard a great QB.

I simply called him...

A) A better option than Trent Green in 2006 and
B) A better option than Brodie Croyle in 2007.

Never did I once say he was a good NFL QB...The only compliment I ever gave the guy was he let our best players make plays for him...rather than Trent who always wanted to make the throw to the open receiver...which never happened because our offensive line sucked...

Everyone except for the stubborn people realize I was right about Huard the last two seasons...he wasn't going to take us anywhere, but he was the best option.

the Talking Can 11-30-2008 02:22 PM

maybe

Deberg_1990 11-30-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueballs (Post 5258768)
How did I ever make a more retarted thread than this
I didn't

Ive made three reeruned threads in my life.

This one

Should the Chiefs have drafted Aaron Rodgers over Derrick Johnson?

Should the CHiefs have traded up to snag Matt Ryan?

Brock 11-30-2008 02:24 PM

They could have gone Clady and then Flacco, I suppose.

the Talking Can 11-30-2008 02:28 PM

in retrospect we should have been more concerned about the QB position

but i'm not going to claim that i knew anything about flacco....

Dorsey was a no-brainer pick.....but QB is a more important position, and if Flacco turns into a franchise QB then he will be a better/more valuable pick....

we could look back in 5 years and say, "see, another example of why the chiefs suck"

MahiMike 11-30-2008 02:30 PM

No, then we'd be paying high draft pick money for a QB. 7th rounders > 1st rounders.

FringeNC 11-30-2008 02:30 PM

I was more concerned with Herm ruining a QB pick, but now Herm isn't involved in the offense, and Herm, Gun, and Krumrie are ****ing up our D draft picks. Who knew?

Deberg_1990 11-30-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5258796)
in retrospect we should have been more concerned about the QB position

but i'm not going to claim that i knew anything about flacco....

Dorsey was a no-brainer pick.....but QB is a more important position, and if Flacco turns into a franchise QB then he will be a better/more valuable pick....

we could look back in 5 years and say, "see, another example of why the chiefs suck"

This.

Thank You.

the Talking Can 11-30-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 5258805)
No, then we'd be paying high draft pick money for a QB. 7th rounders > 1st rounders.

i don't give a crap about the hunts spending money, no one should...and we're 30 mil under the cap, and QB is the most important piece of a franchise..

the Talking Can 11-30-2008 02:37 PM

thinking about it now, it seems crazy that we had 2 first round picks and didn't maneuver for a qb...we really are afraid of drafting QBs high, a fear we need to get over..

but this is all hindsight....hell, i still thought croyle could stay healthy....sigh

mylittlepony 11-30-2008 02:41 PM

Would Brady still be our QB after we had drafted him in the 2000 draft? And would the scraps of his supermodel smorgasbord litter the streets of KC?

TRR 11-30-2008 02:41 PM

I hear a lot of fans saying negative comments about Glenn Dorsey. However, if you compare his stats to other rookie, or even second year DT's. they stack up pretty well.

I'm not disappointed in the least bit with Dorsey's play. I think he has been banged up for most of the season, and fought through every week, and has flashed some ability. His role is to take on double teams, and I think he has done a pretty good job with that this year. Unfortunately KC doesn't have the LB's to take advantage of it IMO.

Deberg_1990 11-30-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 5258843)
His role is to take on double teams, and I think he has done a pretty good job with that this year.

Pretty high pick to use on a guy there to just take up bodies.

Ultra Peanut 11-30-2008 02:47 PM

You are reeruned.

FringeNC 11-30-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

I hear a lot of fans saying negative comments about Glenn Dorsey. However, if you compare his stats to other rookie, or even second year DT's. they stack up pretty well.

I'm not disappointed in the least bit with Dorsey's play. I think he has been banged up for most of the season, and fought through every week, and has flashed some ability. His role is to take on double teams, and I think he has done a pretty good job with that this year. Unfortunately KC doesn't have the LB's to take advantage of it IMO.

Dorsey probably will develop [if the coaching staff is shit-canned], but when our front four has been dominated like it has been, to say anyone has done a competent job THIS YEAR is a joke.

The Bad Guy 11-30-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 5258805)

When you start using the money savings in your argument instead of skill set, it shows how brainwashed you have become as a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.

CupidStunt 11-30-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5258823)
thinking about it now, it seems crazy that we had 2 first round picks and didn't maneuver for a qb...we really are afraid of drafting QBs high, a fear we need to get over..

You must be really struggling to remember how bad the QB class was thought of. Only Ryan was worth a shit, and this board would've literally exploded had the Chiefs moved up for him. And then re-exploded when he played like dogshit on this sorry team.

The Bad Guy 11-30-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

If you aren't dissapointed in Dorsey's play after the ridiculous amount of hype he received, then you have a lot lower expectations than I do.

The Bad Guy 11-30-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 5258861)
Dorsey probably will develop [if the coaching staff is shit-canned], but when our front four has been dominated like it has been, to say anyone has done a competent job THIS YEAR is a joke.

No kidding.

I wonder a lot of the time if I've been watching the game games as some people.

PastorMikH 11-30-2008 03:11 PM

Had we passed on Dorsey, we'd be banging our heads for the next 15 years thinking about why we passed on him. IMO, Dorsey with just about any DC who's team picked after us would turn Dorsey into a monster.

PastorMikH 11-30-2008 03:30 PM

FWIW, Thiggy's overall QB rating is just one point lower than Flacco. Since the bye, Thiggy's QB rating is higher than both Ryan and Flacco - (and both Mannings for that matter).

Since the bye - 93.22
Starts since the bye - 94.8

Keep doubting Thiggy.

Basileus777 11-30-2008 03:41 PM

Flacco wasn't in considering for a top 10 pick. He wasn't even a legitimate option where we picked without the benefit of hindsight.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-30-2008 03:44 PM

**** no.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-30-2008 03:45 PM

Flacco instead of Brandon Albert is a better question. Seriously folks, I know everyone is stinging from Ryan Sims, but Dorsey is going to be a stud. Period.

Deberg_1990 01-09-2011 06:26 PM

Yes

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2011 06:28 PM

Nah. Rodgers over DJ, on the other hand...

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2011 06:28 PM

Absolutely not. Dorsey was a no-brainer pick. Hindsight is 20/20.

Let's see how Flacco does against a playoff defense first. Let's not forget that we're one year removed from Flacco throwing for only 34 yards against New England in the playoffs last year.

-King- 01-09-2011 06:58 PM

Revisionist history
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay 01-09-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7340650)

Let's see how Flacco does against a playoff defense first. Let's not forget that we're one year removed from Flacco throwing for only 34 yards against New England in the playoffs last year.

My eyesight is perfect in a hindsight 20/20 world.

grey redstar 01-09-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

If you remember Flacco was hurt in that game; we ran the ball a zillion times, and handed them their asses. And, as far as it goes we faced at least four playoff defenses during the season.

The Bad Guy 01-09-2011 07:03 PM

I still wouldn't take Flacco.

I'm just not a big fan.

He has great disposal of weapons in Baltimore. He came into a perfect situation with a dominating defense.

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey redstar (Post 7340824)
If you remember Flacco was hurt in that game; we ran the ball a zillion times, and handed them their asses. And, as far as it goes we faced at least four playoff defenses during the season.

Just saying that even though he has a 4-2 playoff record, he's only played real solid football in two of those games: today against a bad Chiefs' D and last year against an average Colts' D. He was shaky against Miami and Tennessee and horrible against Pittsburgh.

Not counting him out. This could be the year he puts it together at the right time. But historically, he's been a below average playoff QB with a terrific supporting cast.

grey redstar 01-09-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7340844)
Just saying that even though he has a 4-2 playoff record, he's only played real solid football in two of those games: today against a bad Chiefs' D and last year against an average Colts' D. He was shaky against Miami and Tennessee and horrible against Pittsburgh.

Not counting him out. This could be the year he puts it together at the right time. But historically, he's been a below average playoff QB with a terrific supporting cast.

Not saying Flacco should have been picked over Dorsey, that makes no sense to me. Just trying to put your comment in perspetive. Out of the previous four playoff games, Flacco was playing hurt in two of them. He had a massive deep thigh contusion that had to drained before each game ( hate it when that happens), but granted he pretty much sucked. But, just think Rapistburger registered one of the worst performances by a winning QB when he won his first superbowl.

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey redstar (Post 7340885)
Not saying Flacco should have been picked over Dorsey, that makes no sense to me. Just trying to put your comment in perspetive. Out of the previous four playoff games, Flacco was playing hurt in two of them. He had a massive deep thigh contusion that had to drained before each game ( hate it when that happens), but granted he pretty much sucked. But, just think Rapistburger registered one of the worst performances by a winning QB when he won his first superbowl.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just more of a "show me before I believe it" guy. Not saying Flacco can't do it, just saying he hasn't yet.

Bewbies 01-09-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7340649)
Nah. Rodgers over DJ, on the other hand...

Yeah, this is the one I'd revisit. Flacco is ok, he's better than average I guess.

RJ 01-09-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

They won.

Just saying.

Fairplay 01-09-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 7340909)
They won.

Just saying.

So you're saying you would have picked Flacco that year?

How could you have seen how his career would have gone at that point in time, you have a crystal ball?

Fairplay 01-09-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5259076)
Flacco wasn't in considering for a top 10 pick. He wasn't even a legitimate option where we picked without the benefit of hindsight.

There are people on this board gifted with hindsight i tell you.

chiefzilla1501 01-09-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 7340909)
They won.

Just saying.

We took a consensus top 5 pick over a guy nobody projected to even be in the top 10. First of all, if we were still in a 4-3, I absolutely think Dorsey would have lived up to the pick. But secondly, you can't look back and regret a pick that nobody in their right mind would have projected. Rodgers and DJ is a legitimate miss because Rodgers could have and should have had that value. Flacco didn't have Dorsey value at draft time.

A few years later, in hindsight, Flacco's looking like a top 5 pick. But that's hindsight.

grey redstar 01-09-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7340945)
We took a consensus top 5 pick over a guy nobody projected to even be in the top 10. First of all, if we were still in a 4-3, I absolutely think Dorsey would have lived up to the pick. But secondly, you can't look back and regret a pick that nobody in their right mind would have projected. Rodgers and DJ is a legitimate miss because Rodgers could have and should have had that value. Flacco didn't have Dorsey value at draft time.

A few years later, in hindsight, Flacco's looking like a top 5 pick. But that's hindsight.

Dorsey had a ton more board value than Flacco in that draft. Most teams didn't have a division II QB on their radar as a 1st rounder.

Gonzo 01-09-2011 07:40 PM

Ummm, yes. We shoiuld have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Imon Yourside 01-09-2011 08:01 PM

No! That being said we do need a QB, and a couple of average O-linemen.

Deberg_1990 10-25-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5258752)
Hmmmmm....

IM just saying....

After last nights game. NO. Flacco appears to have hit his ceiling....

lcarus 10-25-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8047601)

Well, that was about as bad as I've seen him play. I've seen him make some exceptional plays. But with Cassel as our QB, you could go back and say "we should have taken x quarterback over x player here" and we'd probably be better off.

Reerun_KC 10-25-2011 10:03 AM

Flacco is a bust...

No two ways about it.

Radar Chief 10-25-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8047601)

I don’t get Flacco. He can throw 4 TD’s one game then not convert a third down for three quarters the next. Think he’s missing his QB Coach?

Edit: it was 3 TD's against the Rams.

Sofa King 10-25-2011 10:05 AM

I always thought Flacco was at or near as good as he'll ever be.

The Franchise 10-25-2011 10:05 AM

Missing Zorn?

bevischief 10-25-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8047611)
Missing Zorn?

Looks like it...

Deberg_1990 10-25-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8047607)
Flacco is a bust...

No two ways about it.

hes not a bust, but hes nothing special and probably never will be.

We are finally starting to see why Pioli passed on Sanchez for Cassel as well. Sanchez's "upside" wasnt that great. Neither was Cassel's but he decided to go with the proven guy over the unproven.

Reerun_KC 10-25-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8047615)
hes not a bust, but hes nothing special and probably never will be.

We are finally starting to see why Pioli passed on Sanchez for Cassel as well. Sanchez's "upside" wasnt that great. Neither was Cassel's but he decided to go with the proven guy over the unproven.

I would say he is a bust. With that team and the people he has around him. There shouldnt be any excuses...

You guys would ****ing crucify Cassel if he was on that team... No need to sugar coat Flacco, just because he isnt Cassel.

Rain Man 10-25-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7340945)

Yes, exactly.

Not sure Flacco looks like a top-five pick, but I agree with the first paragraph, and it's longer.

Brock 10-25-2011 10:13 AM

He's not a bust. He's probably not a franchise QB and he is having a bad year so far.

DJ's left nut 10-25-2011 10:13 AM

Flacco should be better than he is, no question.

I can't call him a 'bust'; he's pretty much an average NFL quarterback. Kyle Boller was a bust, Joe Flacco is just a mild disappointment.

Hootie 10-25-2011 10:17 AM

I said last year the Jets and Ravens were overrated because their QB's weren't all that great...I ended up being wrong about both teams last year...

but at least I wasn't wrong about their QB's!

Reerun_KC 10-25-2011 10:27 AM

I sure wouldnt want to build a team around him...

He gets way too many excuses for his lack of QB play...

lcarus 10-25-2011 10:28 AM

I sure would love to have a combo of Jamaal Charles and Ray Rice in our backfield though! How amazing would that be.

aturnis 10-25-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8047608)
I don’t get Flacco. He can throw 4 TD’s one game then not convert a third down for three quarters the next. Think he’s missing his QB Coach?

Edit: it was 3 TD's against the Rams.

Matt Casselesque?

Okie_Apparition 10-25-2011 10:31 AM

Flacco looks like he'd feel right at home with the Adam's Family. Just a bit creepy

HemiEd 10-25-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8047626)
He's not a bust. He's probably not a franchise QB and he is having a bad year so far.

IIRC, prior to the game starting last night, they said Flacco was leading the NFL in yards per reception.
I would trade Cassel, throw in Palko and Thomas Jones for Flacco. :D

tooge 10-25-2011 10:46 AM

for the most part, all the QB's for the Ravens the last 12 years or so have not been pedestrian. The Ravens D gives them great field position and scores quite a few defensive TD's, so mediocre QB play is overlooked. It's also easier to take chances when you know your D isn't gonna give up many points.

lcarus 10-25-2011 10:55 AM

I don't think Flacco is bad...

Easy 6 10-25-2011 11:33 AM

Theres something very Everett-esque about the guy imo, has some decent skills but never seems to put it all together, he doesnt inspire any confidence from me at all.

The proverbial 'just good enough to get ya beat'.

whoman69 10-25-2011 01:41 PM

The Ravens this year have moved on to a team that is trying to add an offensive side to a team that has won with defense and a run game but ran into a ceiling. Flacco is very Romoesque. He can look great and then make stupid mistakes or get out of rhythm. He's having trouble with the increased load on him this year. He's a game to game QB. He can get on a roll like Eli did the year he won the Super Bowl. He can also flame out and be a complete fail, all in the same game.

Mr. Laz 10-25-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8047675)
IIRC, prior to the game starting last night, they said Flacco was leading the NFL in yards per reception.
I would trade Cassel, throw in Palko and Thomas Jones for Flacco. :D

wow, somebody is really going out on a limb.

ROFL

Radar Chief 10-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8047670)
Matt Casselesque?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 8047877)
Everett-esque

I was thinking Grbac-esque, has the physical tools but just gets massive brain farts.

Deberg_1990 09-24-2012 12:34 PM

Seems like as good a time as any to bump this one.

Anyone want to change their opinions here?

Reerun_KC 09-24-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8945893)
Seems like as good a time as any to bump this one.

Anyone want to change their opinions here?

No....

With that Defense he has had, there shouldnt be any excuses.

DaneMcCloud 09-24-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8945910)
No....

With that Defense he has had, there shouldnt be any excuses.

Defense? Defenses don't win championships, anymore.

It's 2012, not 1972.