ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger | Ex-GM Peterson ‘saddened’ by Chiefs’ situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266932)

Marcellus 11-21-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9140287)
We didn't win those games because we didn't have a QB and other teams did.

Not really. A few of them yea. Not the 93' AFCCG, not the 97' PO game (Grbac didn't lose that nor did Elway win it) not the 2003 PO game.

Chief_For_Life58 11-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9140090)
Not like Carl was a good GM Folks.

this

Hammock Parties 11-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9140266)
.Clark seems not to realize this yet, imo, which is strange

He does. There was an article from the Star about it.

Quote:

Chiefs officials – Hunt, most notably – have done a rotten job of showing it, but they’ve been privately concerned about a growing fan resentment for some time now. Hunt continues to meet with angry fans, partly to gather information to help diagnose the problem.

the Talking Can 11-21-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9140301)
He does. There was an article from the Star about it.

yeah, i've read the propaganda too...

if he can't smell the stench in pioli in his own building, talking to fans is pointless...

he's done and said nothing as pioli has spent the last 4 years burning every bridge there was to burn...

Hammock Parties 11-21-2012 08:11 PM

Personally I believe he's already stripped Pioli of a lot of power this year, hence Routt being released, Cassel benched, etc.

Clark is going to do the right thing.

BlackHelicopters 11-21-2012 08:21 PM

I ain't got the words, Carl. Wanna buy a leather overcoat?

The Bad Guy 11-21-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9140272)
Carl Peterson built what?

Bowe
Hali
DJ (passed on Rodgers)
Colquit (drafted in third round)

He was relieved of draft power for the 2008 draft in which the team got as much talent in that draft as the previous 5 that Carl ran.

Carl was propped up by a really good coach that couldnt ever win the big game. Marty turned teams around everywhere he has been.

He wasn't relieved of all draft power. He collaborated a lot more with the head coach than he did in the past and Kuharick, but Peterson was still heavily involved. This isn't from me, this is from a guy who I used to talk to that was involved in the FO.

Actually, Herm's first draft, was the same way with Tamba. A lot was made that Carl stepped down from that 08 draft, but that's just not true. He gave more responsibility to others, but he was involved heavily.

Chief3188 11-21-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9140298)
Not really. A few of them yea. Not the 93' AFCCG, not the 97' PO game (Grbac didn't lose that nor did Elway win it) not the 2003 PO game.

In the 93 AFCCG Montana was injured when the game was tied and it just went downhill from there with Krieg I believe it was.

DTLB58 11-21-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9140090)
Not like Carl was a good GM Folks.

No. This is as bad as the push to have Marty come back.

We need to remember there were days when we all were calling for their heads just as much as we are Pioli and RAC now. Short memories. :doh!:

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9140264)
He hired Marty and drafted DT...4 years later, he drafted a HOF guard...4 years later he traded up from 18th to 13th overall to draft a HOF TE.

Credit given where due.

Calling him a great GM for that isnt true when he only won 3 playoff games in 20 years and never drafted a franchise quarterback the whole time.

Agree to disagree.

You are probably too young to remember but before Carl arrived, Kansas City didn't give two shits about the Chiefs, let alone football in general.

They were blacked out for years on end. No one went to the stadium. They went 17 years between playoff appearance, then fired the coach that got them there. They were a national and local joke.

Peterson immediately gave creditability to the Chiefs, not only nationally but more importantly, locally. He hired Marty Schottenheimer, drafted Thomas and began not only building a very good team but within a year, made Arrowhead THE Kansas City destination.

All of the sudden, the Chiefs had a weekly TV show. Radio shows popped up all over town. The Chiefs re-energized the city.

It was an extremely exciting time. People lived and died with the Chiefs. If they won, everyone was happy and ecstatic on Mondays. If they loss, there was an air of depression that could be felt citywide.

No one ever discussed Carl being a failure in Year Four.

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9140526)
No. This is as bad as the push to have Marty come back.

We need to remember there were days when we all were calling for their heads just as much as we are Pioli and RAC now. Short memories. :doh!:

No one that I knew of was calling for Marty's head, even after the 1998 season.

Discuss Thrower 11-21-2012 09:40 PM

Cue the first four years comparison between CP and SP... nao.

DTLB58 11-21-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9140107)
Yep. Insert the names of Marty, Cowher, and any other former coach/personnel person that has ever worked here in the past.

We need to move FORWARD, not cling to the glory years. Make NEW glory years.

Finally, Somebody who agrees!

Every time the new HC thread comes up and all these people want Marty, Cowher, ect. Why don't we dig up Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry?

There are other "Tomlin's and "McCarthy's" out there. We just need an owner or GM smart enough to find one, for us for a change!

DeezNutz 11-21-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9140527)
You are probably too young to remember but before Carl arrived, Kansas City didn't give two shits about the Chiefs, let alone football in general.

They were blacked out for years on end. No one went to the stadium. They went 17 years between playoff appearance, then fired the coach that got them there. They were a national and local joke.

Peterson immediately gave creditability to the Chiefs, not only nationally but more importantly, locally. He hired Marty Schottenheimer, drafted Thomas and began not only building a very good team but within a year, made Arrowhead THE Kansas City destination.

All of the sudden, the Chiefs had a weekly TV show. Radio shows popped up all over town. The Chiefs re-energized the city.

It was an extremely exciting time. People lived and died with the Chiefs. If they won, everyone was happy and ecstatic on Mondays. If they loss, there was an air of depression that could be felt citywide.

No one ever discussed Carl being a failure in Year Four.

LMAO. No shit. People weren't flying banners over Arrowhead after the Chiefs advanced to the AFC Championship Game?

Carl and Marty literally built the Arrowhead experience, and it's amazing the amount of revisionist history that has vilified every aspect of Peterson's tenure. Yes, the end was really bad. But that's generally how long-term relationships end.

The beginning, though, was nothing short of fantastic, and it's exactly what the organization and city needed.

Dave Lane 11-21-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9140531)
No one that I knew of was calling for Marty's head, even after the 1998 season.

I was, I could see he was just too stubborn to get over the hump.

And that would be the QB hump. Up till 98 I was on board though