ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Peter King: Scouts not impressed with 2013 QB class (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266090)

RealSNR 11-02-2012 09:56 AM

In order to turn this around, we need big time winners in college like Jay Cutler. People with leadership.

DJ's left nut 11-02-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 9076865)
Your comment could have easily been used when discussing Aaron Rodgers heading into the 2005 draft.

The reality is that QB is the hardest position to pick, and the analysts will only say a QB is elite if he fits their prototype mold of big size, rocket arm, amazing accuracy, big winner in college, experience in pro-style offense, multiple years as a starter, etc.

It is a much easier gig to pick apart a player's potential flaws than go out on a limb for a guy.

Hmmmm....

Big size: 6'3'', 214 seems pretty big.
Rocket arm: Ever see the velocity on Geno's ball?
Amazing accuracy: Well his accuracy's gone up every year, at 75% this season.
Big winner in college: 9-4 as a Soph Starter, 10-3 as a JR and Orange Bowl mvp. Does that count?
Experience in a pro-style offense: It doesn't get much more pro-style than the Bill Stewart/Jeff Mullen offense he ran as a soph when he completed nearly 2/3 of his passes and had better than a 3-1 TD/INT ratio.
Multiple years as a starter: Is 3 okay?

Scouts don't like Geno Smith because scouts never like Senior quarterbacks unless they do crazy shit like run 4.40 40s. Geno Smith is what you're looking for in an NFL quarterback. He's excelled over a long period. He's excelled in different systems. He has the size and skills to excel and even brings some bonus tools like his quick release to the party (so that shouldn't need to be tinkered with).

You'll need to work on his feet a little, they can be inconsistent. You'll also want to work on his reads, as is the case with any QB that wasn't Andrew Luck. In the end, if the Chiefs pass on this kid they will regret it for a very long time.

htismaqe 11-02-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9076921)
In order to turn this around, we need big time winners in college like Jay Cutler. People with leadership.

:clap::clap::clap:

Chief Roundup 11-02-2012 10:00 AM

We use these guys when they back up what we think but if we don't like what they have to say then call them names and don't want to accept what they have to say.

RealSNR 11-02-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9076926)
Hmmmm....

Big winner in college: 9-4 as a Soph Starter, 10-3 as a JR and Orange Bowl mvp. Does that count?
Experience in a pro-style offense: It doesn't get much more pro-style than the Bill Stewart/Jeff Mullen offense he ran as a soph when he completed nearly 2/3 of his passes and had better than a 3-1 TD/INT ratio.

Scouts don't like Geno Smith because scouts never like Senior quarterbacks unless they do crazy shit like run 4.40 40s. Geno Smith is what you're looking for in an NFL quarterback. He's excelled over a long period. He's excelled in different systems. He has the size and skills to excel and even brings some bonus tools like his quick release to the party (so that shouldn't need to be tinkered with).

You'll need to work on his feet a little, they can be inconsistent. You'll also want to work on his reads, as is the case with any QB that wasn't Andrew Luck. In the end, if the Chiefs pass on this kid they will regret it for a very long time.

Beautiful. Clear and concise. An elegant and authoritative argument why we should draft Geno. This post is Zen.

Imon Yourside 11-02-2012 10:02 AM

We don't need A QB, Your choice to be a fan. /Pissoli

DJ's left nut 11-02-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9076940)
We use these guys when they back up what we think but if we don't like what they have to say then call them names and don't want to accept what they have to say.

We universally call Peter King names and never accept what he has to say.

The only time he's of any use is when he's being used to show the mood of the national media (i.e. when he's finally criticizing Cassel, it's clearly reached critical mass). We don't use his endorsement as proof of our accuracy, if anything we do the exact opposite.

When that fat schmuck finally figures something out, it's just too damn obvious to ignore anymore.

Peter King is an idiot and a mouthpiece for the guys that feed him information.

eazyb81 11-02-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm....

You forgot the elephant in the room - he's black so he can't be a traditional pocket passer.

And the Holgorson pistol look isn't exactly classic pro-style like Luck ran.

I like Smith so don't feel like you need to convince me, but I am not at all surprised that Kiper and McShay aren't rolling out the red carpet for him at #1 overall yet.

DJ's left nut 11-02-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 9076961)
You forgot the elephant in the room - he's black so he can't be a traditional pocket passer.

Well the upshot to that is that we won't be allowed to criticize him for 3 years, so that should buy him some time.

Fortunately he's a tall black quarterback, so he'll get compared to Newton instead of RGIII. He'll win that comparison going away.

And you're right, Holgorsen's offense isn't what I would call a pro-style offense, that's why his performance as a Sophomore is so demonstrative. Under Stewart, it was a very pro-focused offense. The kid knows his dropbacks, knows how to take the snap from center. You can use a lot of what you take from that and apply it to how he's performed with this pistol set.

It actually takes a little effort to see what's special about Smith, but that shouldn't be as damning as these guys are making it out to be. There are very very few Andrew Lucks to be had.

RealSNR 11-02-2012 10:07 AM

Peter King e-mailed me a draft of his MMQB article coming up. He said, "I got this really cute cartoon in it that I want you to see." It's of two kids in Halloween costumes trick-or-treating. One of the kids says, "Aw man, i got Chiefs tickets."

Hilarious, right?

bevischief 11-02-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm....

This guy has been right for years so when he starts tooting a player's horn you better listen to him.

Ming the Merciless 11-02-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 9076228)
Bad year to pick a QB 1, 2 or 3. QBs sinking like stones in eyes of NFL scouts.

of course

Woodchuck 11-02-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9076950)
When that fat schmuck finally figures something out, it's just too damn obvious to ignore anymore.

True but, very ironic.

DJ's left nut 11-02-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9076968)
Peter King e-mailed me a draft of his MMQB article coming up. He said, "I got this really cute cartoon in it that I want you to see." It's of two kids in Halloween costumes trick-or-treating. One of the kids says, "Aw man, i got Chiefs tickets."

Hilarious, right?

I'm calling you out on this one.

I can tell it's not Peter King's column because he didn't tell you what coffee he was drinking.

You're a liar, SNR. A damn filthy liar.

Chief Roundup 11-02-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9076989)
This guy has been right for years so when he starts tooting a player's horn you better listen to him.

Oh really who has he asked for in the past at QB?