ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Matt Flynn (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268555)

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 09:58 AM

Matt Flynn

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on bringing in Matt Flynn to be the back-up to the new incoming rookie?

If we get John Dorsey from Green Bay, he may actually value Flynn?

Would giving up a mid round pick and a not to big of a contract be suitable? I think Flynn might work out pretty good in Andy Reid's offense as a vet back-up. Much in the same role he is doing now in Seattle and as he did in Green Bay behind Rogers.

We aren't talking a Matt Cassel situation here in draft pick and contract.

milkman 01-06-2013 09:59 AM

**** Matt Flynn, and **** the dumbshits that think Matt Flynn has any value.

CoMoChief 01-06-2013 10:00 AM

I originally liked this idea....but then again I don't like the idea of giving away a first day pick for someone that's just gonna sit on the bench, because that's what it will take to pry him away from SEA.

007 01-06-2013 10:00 AM

What is Flynn's contract in Seattle? Something tells me he won't be worth trading for at all.

Plus, I don't even want him.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-06-2013 10:00 AM

I don't get it???? Why wouldn't Seattle just keep him as a backup rather than piss him away for way less than it took to acquire him. We'd have to give up more than a mid rounder to get him and then it'd be Cassel Deja Vu, retread/other team's castoff all over again. Cmon people.

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9287667)

Dorsey drafted him. Guess he might think Flynn has value...

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:01 AM

Fair enough but we are going to have to find a vet QB somewhere. Unless you go after a old Matt Hasselbeck, your options are going to be limited for a quality back-up.

htismaqe 01-06-2013 10:02 AM

Matt Flynn isn't a veteran backup. He's essentially an unproven rookie that we'd have to trade picks to get.

Matt Flynn and Kirk Cousins are not options. AT ALL.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-06-2013 10:03 AM

Anyone we "acquire" like this is going to take "starter level" picks to get. Do we really want to go through that AGAIN?????? Gonna have to be a Free Agent and I haven't seen the list yet of FA QB's.

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:03 AM

That is why I asked... what are better options? Don't cry about Flynn unless one can give legit back-up options.

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9287677)
Matt Flynn isn't a veteran backup. He's essentially an unproven rookie that we'd have to trade picks to get.

Matt Flynn and Kirk Cousins are not options. AT ALL.

Only because of costing draft picks, same with Alex smith. Any three are free on draft picks and cheap on contracts I'd say they could be options.

notorious 01-06-2013 10:05 AM

He was beat by a rookie when all that he had to do was not **** up.

OnTheWarpath15 01-06-2013 10:05 AM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...2vjso51jpg.gif

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9287680)
That is why I asked... what are better options? Don't cry about Flynn unless one can give legit back-up options.

The Minnesota back up

I keed I hope you realize

Rasputin 01-06-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:07 AM

Again I hear crying but no options are being given out...

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9287691)

Rich gannon

RealSNR 01-06-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9287691)

Go look at the UFA list for QBs this year, dumbshit.

There is your list of options for vets.

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:13 AM

No I gave my option, now I want others options. I was waiting for someone to cry about looking up a f**king list (it isn't pretty)... I've looked at the list and Flynn was my option at a reasonable price. Again what is others back-up QB option?

ChiefGator 01-06-2013 10:14 AM

If Kolb gets cut, I would consider him. At least he knows Reid's playbook.

notorious 01-06-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9287714)

OMFG NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

RealSNR 01-06-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9287711)
No I gave my option, now I want others options. I was waiting for someone to cry about looking up a f**king list (it isn't pretty)... I've looked at the list and Flynn was my option at a reasonable price. Again what is others back-up QB option?

Flynn at a reasonable price? We'd have to give up AT LEAST a 4th round draft pick. That's not a reasonable price at all for a ****ing backup, much less a backup likely with a sour attitude from being passed over for a starting opportunity for so long.

Matt Moore is a free agent. What's the difference between him and Matt ****ing Flynn?

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:19 AM

Matt Moore sucks worse than Flynn!

BlackHelicopters 01-06-2013 10:20 AM

Dude has one good game against a horrible DET defense, and gets huge contract. Wish life was that easy for the rest of us.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-06-2013 10:20 AM

You've done gone full Blackbob. Never go full Blackbob

OnTheWarpath15 01-06-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9287737)
You've done gone full Blackbob. Never go full Blackbob

LMAO

RealSNR 01-06-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9287732)

It's a ****ing backup QB :facepalm:

jjchieffan 01-06-2013 10:22 AM

I'd rather keep Quinn or Stanzi as the vet backup and use the pick that we would spend on Flynn on a qb in the draft. Makes more sense to me. Hopefully Geno is the franchise qb we think he is, but having another rookie to develop behind him is more appealing than a qb that just lost his job to a rookie.

BossChief 01-06-2013 10:23 AM

It's gonna be awesome as Reid wipes the dumb off this fan bases collective think tank of the quarterback position. It's sickening that some still think about trading for the "Matt Flynns" of the NFL.

BossChief 01-06-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

False

RealSNR 01-06-2013 10:25 AM

When did it become a good idea for everybody to name their ****ing kids "Matt"? Good christ there are a ton of Matts out there.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-06-2013 10:25 AM

Moore is a pretty good idea. Well done SNR!!!

OnTheWarpath15 01-06-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 9287744)
I'd rather keep Quinn or Stanzi as the vet backup and use the pick that we would spend on Flynn on a qb in the draft. Makes more sense to me. Hopefully Geno is the franchise qb we think he is, but having another rookie to develop behind him is more appealing than a qb that just lost his job to a rookie.

THIS

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9287728)

Matt Moore is a free agent. What's the difference between him and Matt ****ing Flynn?

Yeah, I'd rather have Matt Moore.

chiefforlife 01-06-2013 10:30 AM

Not sure of Flynns contract but I know he was paid to be a starter, he may just get cut.
Same situation with Alex Smith, it may not take draft picks to obtain either.

In58men 01-06-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

End thread please.

No to Moore, Flynn, Smith, Vick, or any other worthless backup QB. They're backups for a reason.

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Uh, No.

BossChief 01-06-2013 10:32 AM

Matt Moore would be a terrific backup if Andy Reid doesn't believe in Stanzi.

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9287770)
End thread please.

No to Moore, Flynn, Smith, Vick, or any other worthless backup QB. They're backups for a reason.

I'd take Moore as a back-up.

007 01-06-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 9287744)

You have to actually play to be a vet backup. Stanzi doesn't qualify.

Hoover 01-06-2013 10:34 AM

If you blame Scott Pioli for trading for Matt Cassel, then you have to be opposed to this.

okcchief 01-06-2013 10:35 AM

I'd take him if they cut him. I wouldn't give up shit or pay him what he makes now. He's going to sit in Seattle and be a highly paid backup.

ChiefGator 01-06-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9287714)

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9287717)
OMFG NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Not to be the starter, but as a backup. And someone who could help along the learning of Reid's playbook. He played respectably when necessary for Reid.

notorious 01-06-2013 10:37 AM

Kolb at backup - maybe. Let's pray that our starter doesn't get injured.

BossChief 01-06-2013 10:42 AM

Kolb isn't gonna be cut from Arizona. He played pretty well last year...and Bidwell said he isn't ready to give up on him yet.

I wouldn't trade for him, either.

Just let Reid draft 2.

KCFalcon59 01-06-2013 10:48 AM

Unless Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers is available for trade then **** off with these crazy ideas. I'd rather draft a bust at #1 and have to do it all over again 3 yrs later than to grab some no talent assclown like Matt Cassel again.

Chief Roundup 01-06-2013 11:21 AM

QB Derek Anderson
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jason Campbell
QB David Carr
QB Kellen Clemens
QB Chase Daniel
QB Joe Flacco UFA Baltimore Ravens
QB Bruce Gradkowski
QB Rex Grossman
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Matt Leinart
QB Josh McCown
QB Luke McCown
QB Matt Moore
QB Jordan Palmer
QB Brady Quinn
QB Drew Stanton
QB Tyler Thigpen

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...#ixzz2HDVI5xEv

hometeam 01-06-2013 11:22 AM

Why do people keep bringing this up.

ONE, he is under contract
TWO its a HUGE contract
THREE he ****ing sucks. Get the **** over it.

/end of discussion.

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9287923)
QB Derek Anderson
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jason Campbell
QB David Carr
QB Kellen Clemens
QB Chase Daniel
QB Bruce Gradkowski
QB Rex Grossman
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Matt Leinart
QB Josh McCown
QB Luke McCown
QB Matt Moore
QB Jordan Palmer
QB Brady Quinn
QB Drew Stanton
QB Tyler Thigpen

David carr is ready to start again

RealSNR 01-06-2013 11:24 AM

See that list, ChiefMojo?

Draft 2 QBs. Sign one of those guys. Keep Stanzi. Keep the best 3 after preseason.

Mission accomplished. No draft picks were wasted on tards like Matt Flynn in the making of this QB depth chart

Deberg_1990 01-06-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 9287816)
Unless Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers is available for trade then **** off with these crazy ideas. I'd rather draft a bust at #1 and have to do it all over again 3 yrs later than to grab some no talent assclown like Matt Cassel again.

This....

I can certainly give Reid the benefit of the doubt. The 99 draft was considered at the time a very strong QB draft. 5 QBs went in the top 12. Reid chose the best one out of Akili Smith, Dante Culpepper, Cade McNown, and McNabb. McNabb was selected after Tim Couch.

Red And Yellow 01-06-2013 11:26 AM

No thanks to Matt Flynn, I would like to stay away from anyone named Matt or anyone who is #7

Chief Roundup 01-06-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9287926)
Why do people keep bringing this up.

ONE, he is under contract
TWO its a HUGE contract
THREE he ****ing sucks. Get the **** over it.

/end of discussion.

What his contract is not huge at all.
He got a 3 yr 19.5 mil contract. Flynn reportedly received a $6 million signing bonus. He will make $2 million in salary in 2012. In 2013, he can make $5.25 million, but only $2 million is guaranteed.

TRR 01-06-2013 11:30 AM

Reid does not play rookie QB's unless he is forced by injury or feels the OL is ready to protect him. He sacrificed an entire season of McNabb starting Doug Peterson an entire season instead because he didn't feel it put McNabb in the best position to succeed.

Very strong possibility that whoever is drafted may sit a year while Reid feels out the team.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazycoffey 01-06-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red And Yellow (Post 9287944)
No thanks to Matt Flynn, I would like to stay away from anyone named Matt or anyone who is #7

Seems well thought out, and not at all ignorant.

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

QB Derek Anderson
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jason Campbell
QB David Carr
QB Kellen Clemens
QB Chase Daniel
QB Bruce Gradkowski
QB Rex Grossman
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Byron Leftwich
QB Matt Leinart
QB Josh McCown
QB Luke McCown
QB Matt Moore
QB Jordan Palmer
QB Brady Quinn
QB Drew Stanton
QB Tyler Thigpen

Flacco will be tagged, no doubt.

The Franchise 01-06-2013 11:34 AM

Drew Stanton

Thig Lyfe 01-06-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

QB Tyler Thigpen

YES!!!

Pasta Little Brioni 01-06-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9287955)
Reid does not play rookie QB's unless he is forced by injury or feels the OL is ready to protect him. He sacrificed an entire season of McNabb starting Doug Peterson an entire season instead because he didn't feel it put McNabb in the best position to succeed.

Very strong possibility that whoever is drafted may sit a year while Reid feels out the team.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, but that was back when sitting rookies was the thing to do. It's a different game today and guys are coming into the league ready to play and better than ever.

Wilson8 01-06-2013 11:52 AM

Could Matt Flynn fit in Kansas City?

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

This is If season.

It’s all about if this step happens, perhaps that step will be made. So, let’s play that game with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Green Bay executive John Dorsey is considered a heavy favorite to land in Kansas City as the general manager. New head coach Andy Reid has control of the franchise, but he needs a right-hand man. Dorsey is respected, and Reid and Dorsey are very close from their days in Green Bay together.

The first task of the Chiefs’ brass will be to figure what to do at quarterback. There will be several options. One could be former Green Bay backup Matt Flynn. He is now in Seattle. The Seahawks paid handsomely to make Flynn their potential starter last year. But they struck draft gold in the form of Russell Wilson.

Flynn could be available. Flynn was well respected and well thought of in Green Bay. If Dorsey is among his fan club, there could be a nice connection. Reid’s roots are in Green Bay, and he’d likely have little trouble taking on a quarterback from the Packers’ tree.

The key would be to not pay too much for Flynn in the form of a draft pick. I think he’d be worth a conditional mid-round pick, because there are no guarantees he will be the starter. Also, his contract might have be adjusted to some conditions.

But if those two areas were worked out, I think Flynn could be an interesting fit for the new Chiefs. I could see maybe combining Flynn and taking a quarterback such as Landry Jones or Matt Barkley or a Mike Glennon or Geno Smith (if they were available) early in the second round.

The Chiefs could let the two players compete. If one is great, then they have their answer for years to come. If not, Flynn would at least be serviceable for the short term. Then, the Chiefs can continue their search later.

There are no other clear answers this year. The Chief are going to have to take a chance and hope for the best.

If Reid and Dorsey think Flynn is the answer, he might be as good as any avenue to pursue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...in-kansas-city

Wilson8 01-06-2013 11:55 AM

Flynn will cost around $7 million in 2013 and $8 million in 2014 so Seattle could keep him but does it create a problem when you are paying your backup QB a lot more than the starter.

hometeam 01-06-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9287949)
What his contract is not huge at all.
He got a 3 yr 19.5 mil contract. Flynn reportedly received a $6 million signing bonus. He will make $2 million in salary in 2012. In 2013, he can make $5.25 million, but only $2 million is guaranteed.

Quote:

Flynn was relegated to mop-up duty. He completed five of his nine pass attempts in very limited action. With Wilson firmly entrenched at quarterback, there is speculation that Flynn will be traded in the offseason. The Seahawks can afford his $5.25 million 2013 base salary ($2 million is fully guaranteed) which makes him one of the NFL’s most expensive backup quarterbacks, because Wilson’s four-year rookie deal is worth $2,996,774 (includes a $619,472 signing bonus)
And you have to give up something for him? This dude hasn't even proven he can play!! Bad.Idea. KC fans should forget shit ideas like this.

milkman 01-06-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9287672)
Dorsey drafted him. Guess he might think Flynn has value...

He was a 7th round pick.

He made the team because other than Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, they had no other QBs.

After sitting on the bench for 5 years, he had one good game against a crappy defense.

He is a scrub.

Nothing more, nothing less.

milkman 01-06-2013 12:03 PM

I firmly believe that the only qualifications required to be a sports journalist is the ability to string two words together.

tk13 01-06-2013 12:05 PM

I bet we hear more of this as the offseason progresses. Especially because Flynn will have ties to the Packers, and the narrative continues where pretty much everyone believes there aren't any QBs worth drafting #1 in this draft.

jAZ 01-06-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9287670)
I don't get it???? Why wouldn't Seattle just keep him as a backup rather than piss him away for way less than it took to acquire him. We'd have to give up more than a mid rounder to get him and then it'd be Cassel Deja Vu, retread/other team's castoff all over again. Cmon people.

They would expect to get a starter with the draft pick that they get in return for a bench player on their team.

Chief Roundup 01-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9288038)
And you have to give up something for him? This dude hasn't even proven he can play!! Bad.Idea. KC fans should forget shit ideas like this.

I don't really want Flynn. But if we were to make a trade for him he would not be our backup. He would start at least the first year. Reid will not play rookie QBs.

milkman 01-06-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9288098)
I don't really want Flynn. But if we were to make a trade for him he would not be our backup. He would start at least the first year. Reid will not play rookie QBs.

People keep saying this, but all they have to base this on is Donavan McNabb, who really wasn't ready to start from day one.

TRR 01-06-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9288009)
True, but that was back when sitting rookies was the thing to do. It's a different game today and guys are coming into the league ready to play and better than ever.

That's not what Andy Reid believes IMO. He's old school in his thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Roundup 01-06-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9288115)
People keep saying this, but all they have to base this on is Donavan McNabb, who really wasn't ready to start from day one.

Reid has shown a propensity to not play rookie players at key positions. And has mentioned as much during interviews and press conferences in the past.

jspchief 01-06-2013 12:51 PM

Came up in another thread... Matt Hasselbeck

I don't know what it would take to get him, but it's the perfect fit. Reid connections. Post-season/super bowl experience. Too old to be a long term threat to the position.

Just the kind of guy you want around your rookie QBOTF.

Deberg_1990 01-06-2013 12:52 PM

True Fan will love the Matt Flynn acquisition

The Franchise 01-06-2013 12:57 PM

Sound familiar?

milkman 01-06-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9288177)
Came up in another thread... Matt Hasselbeck

I don't know what it would take to get him, but it's the perfect fit. Reid connections. Post-season/super bowl experience. Too old to be a long term threat to the position.

Just the kind of guy you want around your rookie QBOTF.

I've seen it all over this board now, and this is one vet consideration I can get behind.

bevischief 01-06-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

This. Go back to Facebook and never come back.

The Franchise 01-06-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9288194)
I've seen it all over this board now, and this is one vet consideration I can get behind.

This.

TRR 01-06-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9288115)

It all depends on what Reid thinks of the roster. Does he believe the O-Line is ready to protect a rookie. He has said time and time again that he won't allow a rookie QB to start unless he feels good about the talent around him.

McNabb was easily the most talented QB on the roster in Philly when he was drafted. However, Reid quickly killed any hope of him starting as a rookie....Starting Doug Peterson instead. He threw away that year before it ever started. But, he felt it was best in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam 01-06-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9288098)

For those who are calling for him, him being a starter is much worse.

http://allsportcrossfit.com/wp-conte.../07/mugatu.jpg

milkman 01-06-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9288219)
It all depends on what Reid thinks of the roster. Does he believe the O-Line is ready to protect a rookie. He has said time and time again that he won't allow a rookie QB to start unless he feels good about the talent around him.

McNabb was easily the most talented QB on the roster in Philly when he was drafted. However, Reid quickly killed any hope of him starting as a rookie....Starting Doug Peterson instead. He threw away that year before it ever started. But, he felt it was best in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

McNabb was easily the most talented, but he was also a dumb shit.

He wasn't ready to start because he needed at least that first season to even begin to digest the complexities of an NFL playbook.

TRR 01-06-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9288220)
For those who are calling for him, him being a starter is much worse.

http://allsportcrossfit.com/wp-conte.../07/mugatu.jpg

Care to tell me how Matt Flynn is worse than Doug Peterson as your starter for a year?

Posted via Mobile Device