ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Patent experts (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281681)

J Diddy 02-22-2014 10:22 PM

Patent experts

Anybody have experience with patents. I think I have a golden idea but I can't tell if it's been done.

Fish 02-22-2014 10:31 PM

It's been done...

Baby Lee 02-22-2014 10:39 PM

If you are serious, be serious.

Personal friend, tell him the biggest Chiefs fan he knows [well, second biggest besides his partner in the firm] referred you for good rates and service.

http://splglaw.com/attorneys/evan-r-sotiriou/

http://splglaw.com/contact-us/

PM me with real world details, if you wish, and I'll call Monday so you won't take him unawares. But if my initial sentence was unclear, if you are serious, be serious. Patent protection is a lucrative source of remuneration for creativity, but it isn't a game for those with a mere spark of 'hey how about.'

This man's life is finding new and innovative improvements on the past and working to secure the value of that improvement for the mind that conjured it. It's not cheap, and it's not frivolous work. There's plenty of frivolous people trying to impinge on that sector, but they hide and obfuscate and troll.

I'm trusting this community. I've given a real name to a person to a real member here to help him realize an idea. If anyone is unserious here, please remember here, some of us are not.

sd4chiefs 02-22-2014 10:40 PM

Good luck with that.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/howtopat.htm

A U.S. patent for an invention is the grant of a property right to the inventor(s), issued by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, "the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling" the invention in the United States or "importing" the invention into the United States. To get a U.S. patent, an application must be filed in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

File a Utility Patent Application

Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or compositions of matters, or any new useful improvement thereof.

File a Design Patent Application

Design patents may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture.

File a Plant Patent Application

Plant patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant.

File a patent application electronically

Use EFS-Web, the USPTO's electronic filing system for patent applications, to submit Utility patent applications, Provisional applications, electronic information disclosure statements (eIDS), computer listings, biosequence listings, International Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications , Design applications with color drawings, 371 National Stage applications, Reissue applications, Reexaminations, and Pre-Grant publications to the USPTO via the Internet.

NOTE: At this time, EFS-Web does not accept:
• Credit Card Authorization Form - PTO-2038;
•Maintenance Fees;
• New Plant Applications or Color Plant Drawings;
• Documents related to Registration Practice & Disciplinary Proceeding;
• Certified Copies (Ribbon Copies);
• Secrecy Order Applications and/or Documents;
• Contested Cases at the Board of Appeal and Interferences;
•Third party papers under 37 CFR 1.99;
•Protests under 37 CFR 1.291;
• Public use hearing papers under 37 CFR 1.292

For more general information about patents and the operations of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, see General Information Concerning Patents

DRU 02-22-2014 10:51 PM

Be prepared to spend a lot of money and a lot of time waiting around on forms and responses.

Rain Man 02-22-2014 10:52 PM

If this is a microwave-safe tattoo ink, I've already patented that.

Baby Lee 02-22-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10447952)
If this is a microwave-safe tattoo ink, I've already patented that.

IIRC, you only copyrighted your scripted material on the idea, by memorializing it in the timestamped repository of the innertubes.

But if you could provide me a uspto#, I could verify.

Rain Man 02-22-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10447953)
IIRC, you only copyrighted your scripted material on the idea, by memorializing it in the timestamped repository of the innertubes.

But if you could provide me a uspto#, I could verify.

I wrote my patent on a sheet of paper and tied it to a helium balloon that I released. I think that's the right way, correct?

cabletech94 02-23-2014 12:11 AM

so is it a cool idea, like you bumped your head on the toilet and come up with the flux capacitor idea?

or is it a lame idea like a silicone testicle for those unfortunate with only one ball?

;)

CrazyPhuD 02-23-2014 12:42 AM

Speaking as someone who has multiple patents to their name.

Ideas are a dime a dozen....execution matters.

In essence even if it hasn't been done before....does anyone want to buy it? Because if the answer is no you'll have spend at least a few thousand dollars on a piece of paper that has no real value.

If you know what you're doing you could write a patent disclosure and file it relatively cheaply(i.e. around $100) and it would buy you a year to develop the idea and find out if it's worth anything before the real patent has to be filed.

But if you're asking this question you don't really know what you are doing and you're going to need an attorney to write it for you. This is because if you write a disclosure wrong then it will just get thrown out and be useless to establish date.

But really spend the time to build it, find out if people even want it. THEN worry about trying to patent it.

There is no magic patent something and then tada rake in the billions of dollars.

cosmo20002 02-23-2014 01:12 AM

Take existing product
Add clock
Patent
Profit

J Diddy 02-23-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 10448004)
so is it a cool idea, like you bumped your head on the toilet and come up with the flux capacitor idea?

or is it a lame idea like a silicone testicle for those unfortunate with only one ball?

;)

both are great ideas in which I would look to you my friend for execution

J Diddy 02-23-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 10448010)
Speaking as someone who has multiple patents to their name.

Ideas are a dime a dozen....execution matters.

In essence even if it hasn't been done before....does anyone want to buy it? Because if the answer is no you'll have spend at least a few thousand dollars on a piece of paper that has no real value.

If you know what you're doing you could write a patent disclosure and file it relatively cheaply(i.e. around $100) and it would buy you a year to develop the idea and find out if it's worth anything before the real patent has to be filed.

But if you're asking this question you don't really know what you are doing and you're going to need an attorney to write it for you. This is because if you write a disclosure wrong then it will just get thrown out and be useless to establish date.

But really spend the time to build it, find out if people even want it. THEN worry about trying to patent it.

There is no magic patent something and then tada rake in the billions of dollars.

thing is I have the logistics down. In fact I have a meeting with a guy who can transfer his shop to deal with the conversion. TBH, there's 1 thing seperating me from sinking some money into this and that is wheter or not someone's gotten this idea patented.

Exoter175 02-23-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10448022)
thing is I have the logistics down. In fact I have a meeting with a guy who can transfer his shop to deal with the conversion. TBH, there's 1 thing seperating me from sinking some money into this and that is wheter or not someone's gotten this idea patented.

Google it:hmmm:

Baby Lee 02-23-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10448022)

When seeking to secure rights to intellectual property, particularly a patent, you would be well served to involve an attorney as soon as possible, if for no other reason than their fiduciary duty would keep them from taking whatever details you converse about and running off to patent something himself.

If you really want to minimize expenditures, you can follow the recommendations of the patent and trademark office

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/

All patents are online and fully searchable.

It's gonna eat up a shit ton of your time, and still may not find things you need to be aware of, due to the sheer volume of the databases.