ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

Dr. Gigglepants 09-14-2012 02:27 PM

I'm thinking nothing to see here, Berk getting reps with the 1st team is what I'm reading. Haven't been able to find anything but chatter though, so we'll probably know more later.

kepp 09-14-2012 02:31 PM

I don't know though. That UGA game was a lot for a surgically-repaired shoulder to take. I wonder if its hurting him.

Frazod 09-14-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8910087)
I'm thinking nothing to see here, Berk getting reps with the 1st team is what I'm reading. Haven't been able to find anything but chatter though, so we'll probably know more later.

Is Berk worth a crap?

Dr. Gigglepants 09-14-2012 02:38 PM

I've never been too impressed with him (not that he's had many chances), but if JF is banged up, he may be a better option. Would be interesting anyway to see if someone else can show a little and finish a game we need to win.

Dr. Gigglepants 09-14-2012 02:42 PM

Ashley Zavala ‏@ZavalaA
In response to rumors, Mizzou source tells me Missouri plans on starting Corbin Berkstresser at QB tomorrow vs. ASU, Franklin questionable.

Holy capital S

DJ's left nut 09-14-2012 02:44 PM

Berk's better suited the the SEC game, IMO. His arm is stronger, he's a little bit taller and he seems like a better thrower.

He's not Aaron Murray, but I think he could do a better job of taking advantage of one of the few advantages we'll have on the field most weeks in the SEC - our WR corps.

I'm just not impressed by Franklin. He guides the ball too much and can't get the zip on the throw necessary to hit out routes without telegraphing them and/or taking a 3 minute long windup.

Pinkel adores Franklin - says he'll play on Sundays. There's no way Franklin's going to lose the job. That said, Pinkel's simply wrong - Franklin doesn't have the requisite arm strength to excel in the SEC and I have no qualms at all with Berk getting reps.

Frazod 09-14-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8910133)
Berk's better suited the the SEC game, IMO. His arm is stronger, he's a little bit taller and he seems like a better thrower.

He's not Aaron Murray, but I think he could do a better job of taking advantage of one of the few advantages we'll have on the field most weeks in the SEC - our WR corps.

I'm just not impressed by Franklin. He guides the ball too much and can't get the zip on the throw necessary to hit out routes without telegraphing them and/or taking a 3 minute long windup.

Pinkel adores Franklin - says he'll play on Sundays. There's no way Franklin's going to lose the job. That said, Pinkel's simply wrong - Franklin doesn't have the requisite arm strength to excel in the SEC and I have no qualms at all with Berk getting reps.

Pinkel reminds me a lot of LaRussa. And I don't mean that to be a compliment.

kepp 09-14-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8910130)
Ashley Zavala ‏@ZavalaA
In response to rumors, Mizzou source tells me Missouri plans on starting Corbin Berkstresser at QB tomorrow vs. ASU, Franklin questionable.

Holy capital S

Whoa. Anyone know how good ASU's run defense is?

Found it...74th - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/f...t/team/1040/p2

Dr. Gigglepants 09-14-2012 02:50 PM

Pretty much agree on all accounts, DJ. At this point I think we know what we have with Franklin. Decent QB, but he prefers to to run first, when we have such talented WRs to rely on.

Regarding the love Pinkel shows to JF, I honestly feel like he's Casseled into the starting QB job, nothing other than injury is going to unseat him.

Berk is still an unknown, but I don't have a problem with it either.

DJ's left nut 09-14-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8910147)
Pretty much agree on all accounts, DJ. At this point I think we know what we have with Franklin. Decent QB, but he prefers to to run first, when we have such talented WRs to rely on.

Regarding the love Pinkel shows to JF, I honestly feel like he's Casseled into the starting QB job, nothing other than injury is going to unseat him.

Berk is still an unknown, but I don't have a problem with it either.

I wouldn't say "Casseled" - Franklin was one of the top recruits in the country and the year he had last year showed why. The kid is absolutely capable of winning games.

He just doesn't fit this team terribly well.

He's a great teammate, tough competitor and just a very stand up kid. There's a ton to like about him and I think that's why Pinkel is so fond of him.

I just don't think he's what we want guiding the ship right now. He'd have been great for the XII where teams rely on speed over size in their defense and the big guys aren't nearly as fast. He can get those running lanes and make things happen on the ground. In the SEC, however, the meat is just too fast and the speed is just too strong. It's not wise to subject your QB to those hits. I also don't think he ever saw MU having a WR corps this good when he pursued Franklin.

It sucks because he's easy to root for - he's just not a great fit for this team.

duncan_idaho 09-14-2012 03:04 PM

Franklin is out (third-party source).

I disagree re: Franklin's fit in the SEC. He has plenty of arm strength when his mechanics are good, and he has pretty good touch. It's clear so far, though, that the time he missed with the shoulder injury set him back. And he's apparently re-injured it, so I don't know what happens there.

In my opinion, the Tigers MUST have a true dual-threat QB to continue with this offense in the SEC. Running out of the shotgun simply won't work unless you're throwing well enough to force teams to drop 7 and 8 on 1st and 2nd down or you have more than one RB/potential ballcarrier in the backfield (whether it's a QB or a second RB or a WR on a jet).

A healthy dual-threat guy with this offensive talent at WR would make that offense very difficult to stop.

Dr. Gigglepants 09-14-2012 03:11 PM

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter

I'm getting strong indication MU not certain on QB situation. Team has 26 hours until kickoff. Very likely could be game-time decision

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter

I'm hearing conflicting info on #Mizzou QB situation for tomorrow. MU is not commenting on speculation that Berkstresser is starting

DJ's left nut 09-14-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8910186)
Franklin is out (third-party source).

I disagree re: Franklin's fit in the SEC. He has plenty of arm strength when his mechanics are good, and he has pretty good touch. It's clear so far, though, that the time he missed with the shoulder injury set him back. And he's apparently re-injured it, so I don't know what happens there.

In my opinion, the Tigers MUST have a true dual-threat QB to continue with this offense in the SEC. Running out of the shotgun simply won't work unless you're throwing well enough to force teams to drop 7 and 8 on 1st and 2nd down or you have more than one RB/potential ballcarrier in the backfield (whether it's a QB or a second RB or a WR on a jet).

A healthy dual-threat guy with this offensive talent at WR would make that offense very difficult to stop.

That's the thing though - his mechanics are never good.

He's always trying to guide the ball. On occasion he'll get a little more comfortable and for a series or two he's able to do a nice job of driving the ball, but he doesn't do it routinely. I can't think of a game last year where he was really firing the ball with authority for more than a quarter or two.

And I still think that long-ass Tebow windup of his is a liability, especially with as poor a job as he does of looking off DBs.

He's simply a very very scary combination of weaknesses that undermine his strengths.

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 04:33 PM

Rumors now that Franklin will start after all.

Edit: Or maybe not.

Terez A. Paylor ‏@terezpaylor
Right now, Berkstresser lining up with the first team in pregame warmups. Mauk lining up with the twos. #Mizzou

KcMizzou 09-15-2012 04:59 PM

LMAO ESPN 2 says Mizzou lost to ASU last season.... 37-0 in OT. :spock: