ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid seems to think all Tackles are created equal . . . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272736)

BossChief 05-03-2013 10:02 PM

Sac, what do you know about this center we drafted?

Kush

TomBarndtsTwin 05-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9656101)
"Bust potential?" We signed the guy as an UDFA. There is no "bust" UDFAs. He can sit on a park bench and drool and the Chiefs are no worse off. We gave up NOTHING to get him. There is only upside. A lot of potential upside.

I'm aware of this. Clearly, you missed the point of what I was saying.

Bray may 'bust', but as a UDFA there is zero downside for the Chiefs. They signed a guy with a very high ceiling with little to no risk.

Whereas teams like Buffalo and the Jets risked a lot more by drafting their guys in the first 2 rounds, whose ceilings are not really that much higher, if any higher, than Brays.

In other words, the Chiefs were smart. If Bray flops, so what? You haven't really lost anything. I was complimenting them on their QB strategy, not criticizing.

keg in kc 05-03-2013 10:15 PM

So you explain why you say Bray may bust by explaining how Bray can't be a bust.

TomBarndtsTwin 05-03-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9656122)
There are no elite OT's in this draft either.

Unfortunately, a large number of NFL scouts disagree with you.

While no one is claiming Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden was in this draft, there certainly was and is 'elite' potential at the Tackle position.

There's a reason 3 of the first 4 picks were tackles and many other teams said those were the top guys on their draft boards.

It may not be 'sexy', but it is reality . . .

TomBarndtsTwin 05-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9656173)
So you explain why you say Bray may bust by explaining how Bray can't be a bust.

:spock:

I was using the term 'bust' flippantly; apparently no one caught that.

Sorry, I'll turn up my sarcasm meter next time before I post.

HMc 05-03-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 9656158)

Bray may 'bust', but as a UDFA there is zero downside for the Chiefs. They signed a guy with a very high ceiling with little to no risk.

Whereas teams like Buffalo and the Jets risked a lot more by drafting their guys in the first 2 rounds, whose ceilings are not really that much higher, if any higher, than Brays.

In other words, the Chiefs were smart. If Bray flops, so what? You haven't really lost anything. I was complimenting them on their QB strategy, not criticizing.

If Manuel and Smith have the same "ceiling" as Bray, then the difference must be that they are much more likely to get there. Bray wasn't passed on >5 times by every single team because he is basically the same as Geno Smith - he fell out of the draft becuase he's evidently got the intellect of a young domestic animal.

Make no mistake about it, the likelihood that Bray wins more than 2 or 3 NFL games is miniscule. It will be a miracle if he shows anything at NFL level.

Fat Elvis 05-03-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 9656158)

Gotcha:thumb:

Saccopoo 05-03-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 9656187)

While no one is claiming Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden was in this draft, there certainly was and is 'elite' potential at the Tackle position.

There's a reason 3 of the first 4 picks were tackles and many other teams said those were the top guys on their draft boards.

Because they went early doesn't make them elite.

I've heard it mentioned many times that these guys were late first rounders at best in any other draft.

Chiefs picked Fisher due to the situation with Albert. Period.

Very reminiscent of the pick of Baldwin. We had absolutely nobody behind Bowe and were forced to pick Baldwin at that spot.

Albert was franchised and being shopped. Chiefs thought that they had the deal done with Miami. They were going to take either Fisher or Joeckel no matter what. However, the Albert trade imploded on them and now they are stuck with a disgruntled Albert and a 1.1 who is looking at being the backup tackle on the team for the 2013 season.

Fisher was a FBS player with good measurable who had a good Senior Bowl. That's it. He wasn't an Okung or Thomas or guys like that who had not only the elite measurables but also the reps at the position in a major BCS conference against top pass rushers. The guy is a complete question mark at this point and I seriously doubt that he's going to beat out either Albert or Stephenson for either tackle spot in 2013 unless the Chiefs move Albert to LG and if they try it, I'm thinking that Albert holds out.

keg in kc 05-03-2013 10:33 PM

I don't think the Chiefs ever believed they had the deal done with Miami, because Miami reportedly never offered more than a 3rd. Although I do think the Fisher pick was about Albert for a different reason: long-term contract leverage. Which makes it reminiscent of the Larry Johnson pick.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-03-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 9656187)

There's that word, "potential". What? I thought Joker and Fisher were "sure things"? Oh wait; there's no such thing and guess what? There WERE NO "elite" players at the top of this draft, at ANY position. But hey, we're the Chiefs. So lets create( or in this case FAIL to create)an uneccesary hole, and fill it with "potential" at Tackle! And-a-herp and-a-derp-and-derp-derp-derp!
Posted via Mobile Device

HMc 05-03-2013 10:34 PM

I suggest we wait until they actually play before determining whether they are "elite" or not, but I realise that's unfashionable.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-03-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9656233)
I don't think the Chiefs ever believed they had the deal done with Miami, because Miami reportedly never offered more than a 3rd. Although I do think the Fisher pick was about Albert for a different reason: long-term contract leverage. Which makes it reminiscent of the Larry Johnson pick.

And that's a GREAT reason to piss away a one/one on a Tackle! Woot!
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 05-03-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9656236)
I suggest we wait until they actually play before determining whether they are "elite" or not, but I realise that's unfashionable.

Elite in the context of this discussion refers to the kind of prospect that they were. Non-elite prospects can still become elite players.

TomBarndtsTwin 05-03-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 9656211)
If Manuel and Smith have the same "ceiling" as Bray, then the difference must be that they are much more likely to get there. Bray wasn't passed on >5 times by every single team because he is basically the same as Geno Smith - he fell out of the draft becuase he's evidently got the intellect of a young domestic animal.

Make no mistake about it, the likelihood that Bray wins more than 2 or 3 NFL games is miniscule. It will be a miracle if he shows anything at NFL level.

Agreed for the most part.

The reason Smith was drafted in the 2nd and Bray went undrafted has a lot more to do with the worst-case scenario, rather than the best.

But if the worst-case scenario plays itself out for both teams, who would you rather be? The Jets, who spent a second round pick on a guy that will never be more than average. Or the Chiefs, who signed an UDFA who is out of football in a couple years?

If the goal is always to obtain a "franchise" QB, which I believe it should be, then I would much rather be the Chiefs than the Jets.

HMc 05-03-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9656233)

Fisher is more than 6 years younger than Albert. Even is Albert signs another LTD, he will realistically be in KC what, another 3 or 4 seasons? At which point Fisher will only be in his mid 20s. Won't it be nice to not have Joe Slapdick playing LT like happened after Roaf retired?