ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

RockChalk 03-22-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8482189)
Any word on who is gonna be opening day Closer? Broxton or Crow?

I would guess that it's between Holland and Broxton. Crow was a 7th/8th inning guy last year. Can't imagine them throwing him into the closers role at this point unless Broxton and Holland really struggle with their opportunities

Great Expectations 03-22-2012 07:53 AM

They've said it won't be Crow. Broxton still hasn't regained his velocity, my hope is for Holland.

Herrera is the dark horse.

AndChiefs 03-22-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8482886)
They've said it won't be Crow. Broxton still hasn't regained his velocity, my hope is for Holland.

My thoughts are that it will be Holland...His pitches are filthy.

RockChalk 03-22-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8482886)

By all accounts, Herrera has been the best of the bunch this spring. Probably too young to be tossed into that situation. If he makes the club, I'm sure they'll slowly bring him along into more tense situations as the season plays out.

duncan_idaho 03-22-2012 08:26 AM

Bullpen thoughts:

I like Crow as a 6th/7th inning guy. He's someone that can give you a good two-inning stint. I'd like to see him used a little less often but for longer stints at a time. With the bullpen depth, that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully, this helps him avoid the shoulder discomfort he had late last season.

Haven't really seen any reports on Broxton's velocity since early spring, when he was sitting 92-94. Sitting at 94-95 is the key to his success. If it's good, I'm fine with using him as the closer. Gives you a chance to showcase him and possibly move him at the deadline. He also seems like the guy who most needs a defined "role" in the pen.

I wouldn't argue with Holland as the closer, either. His walk and K rates project well to that spot, though I think he was more valuable in his role last season (getting tough outs in dangerous spots in the 6th, 7th and 8th innings).

And I love Kelvin Herrera. The guy is electric, and I think he'll be a big weapon.

I'd like to see them be creative with the way they use some guys, too. Louis Coleman as ROOGY and Mijares as a LOOGY would give you some nice matchups late.

Really need either Collins or Teaford to be a solid second lefty who can eat some innings and help with matchups. Reports there are good. I think Collins can serve a similar role as Crow - someone who can give you an inning or two against a lefty-dominated lineup.

jbwm89 03-22-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8482992)
Bullpen thoughts:

I like Crow as a 6th/7th inning guy. He's someone that can give you a good two-inning stint. I'd like to see him used a little less often but for longer stints at a time. With the bullpen depth, that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully, this helps him avoid the shoulder discomfort he had late last season.

Haven't really seen any reports on Broxton's velocity since early spring, when he was sitting 92-94. Sitting at 94-95 is the key to his success. If it's good, I'm fine with using him as the closer. Gives you a chance to showcase him and possibly move him at the deadline. He also seems like the guy who most needs a defined "role" in the pen.

I wouldn't argue with Holland as the closer, either. His walk and K rates project well to that spot, though I think he was more valuable in his role last season (getting tough outs in dangerous spots in the 6th, 7th and 8th innings).

And I love Kelvin Herrera. The guy is electric, and I think he'll be a big weapon.

I'd like to see them be creative with the way they use some guys, too. Louis Coleman as ROOGY and Mijares as a LOOGY would give you some nice matchups late.

Really need either Collins or Teaford to be a solid second lefty who can eat some innings and help with matchups. Reports there are good. I think Collins can serve a similar role as Crow - someone who can give you an inning or two against a lefty-dominated lineup.

Broxton to close, Crow for longer relief in close games, Mijares for your LOGY and Holland as the fireman.

Perfect.

BWillie 03-22-2012 02:17 PM

If Paulino isn't on the opening rotation, I'm going to lose it.

tyton75 03-22-2012 02:22 PM

I still say that Chen has done nothing to deserve a spot in the rotation automatically. IMO he should be the long reliever

AndChiefs 03-22-2012 02:23 PM

Chen's falling apart again.

BWillie 03-22-2012 02:24 PM

I love how ppl critique spring training results like it actually means something

Demonpenz 03-22-2012 02:27 PM

Chen is getting destroyed. No life no location. Dunn just parked one.

AndChiefs 03-22-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8484356)
I love how ppl critique spring training results like it actually means something

Just want him to put together one good outing. Have to show something at some point.

Demonpenz 03-22-2012 02:59 PM

Butler just parked one.

AndChiefs 03-22-2012 03:57 PM

Betancourt is such a liability defensively.

sedated 03-22-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8482992)
Haven't really seen any reports on Broxton's velocity since early spring, when he was sitting 92-94. Sitting at 94-95 is the key to his success.

From the article today in the KC Star:

“We’re seeing a progression,” pitching coach Dave Eiland said. “[Broxton] turned it up to 96 (on Tuesday) on the last hitter he faced. The ball is really coming out of his hand well. He’s got some good downhill angle on his fastball. His slider has some late tilt to it.

“He’s right where he needs to be.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/21...rmed-with.html