ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Better Than Geno (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270357)

DaKCMan AP 02-25-2013 06:45 AM

Lets look at it this way:

Who is the best offensive lineman ever? Anthony Munoz? Willie Roaf? Bruce Matthews? Randall McDaniel? John Hannah?

Choose anyone - your personal #1 offensive lineman of all time.

If you were starting a franchise would you rather have that offensive lineman or would you rather have Warren Moon? Jim Kelly? Joe Namath?

Quarterbacks are so important that I'll take a great QB (not best ever) over the greatest offensive lineman of all time.

No player in this draft - as a prospect - is the "greatest of all time" at any position. I'll take a very good prospect in Geno at QB over a great prospect (debatable) in Joeckel, Werner, etc.

warrior 02-25-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9435417)
The problem I think with the value comparison is, what if the Chiefs see him as a Brady Quinn not a McNabb? What value does he have if they think he isn't the guy? I know he's the highest rated this year, but that doesnt mean he's a sure fire starter just because we all want him to be. I want a QB bad this year, and honestly I'm having a hard time waving the banner for anyone ahead of him. I'm finding myself trying to overlook a lot. Total Access tonight made my stomach sink a little watching his interview with Mooch. (yep interview again) When asked to repeat the play Mooch drew up he blanked at first, then had to be prompted 3 times as he forgot progression, protection, and terminology. I've watched I think every QB with Mooch and Gruden the last few years and I dont remember anyone needing more than 1 prompt. Add the repeated "Alex Smiths value went up today", and "how does he make such great throws and turn around and miss so badly on the next?", and I think its reasonable to give a little pause when talking about #1 overall pick.

Good post

htismaqe 02-25-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9435417)
The problem I think with the value comparison is, what if the Chiefs see him as a Brady Quinn not a McNabb?

They are clueless and the Chiefs are doomed.

patteeu 02-25-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9432773)
Yeah, you take Geno over every single one of thsoe guys.

Which of the guys you listed will impact a team more than Geno Smith.

Or, look at it this way - Combine all the Super Bowl rings of Anthony Munoz, Tony Boselli, Willie Roaf, and Will Shields. Not exactly game changers, even if they were the very best at their positions.

The first three were game changers. Willie Roaf changed TrINT to Trent, for example. The Chiefs last window slammed shut when Roaf retired and it hasn't reopened since.

Halfcan 02-25-2013 10:16 AM

Geno

Saccopoo 02-25-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9436061)
The first three were game changers. Willie Roaf changed TrINT to Trent, for example. The Chiefs last window slammed shut when Roaf retired and it hasn't reopened since.

No, it closed when Peterson pissed off Tait and he went to the Bears. We paraded has-beens and never will be's out at right tackle for a decade and never recovered. Defenses stacked that side of the line and it was a flood gate to the QB.

philfree 02-25-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9432702)
Making the decision to draft Geno Smith means you probably have to ask yourself two questions.

Initially, we ask ourselves whether Geno Smith is the best player in this draft.

If you believe that he is, that's on you and the Yellow Submarine you came in on.

For the rest of us (which I think has to be the vast majority), the answer's no.

So the two step question:

1. Which players are better than Geno Smith in this draft?

and

2. Are you comfortable passing over them for Geno Smith?

Now, to me, this is the comprehensive list of players I think are better than Geno, everything being equal (including positional value):

1. OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
2. DE/OLB Bjoern Werner, Florida State
3. DE/OLB Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
4. DE/DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
5. DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
6. OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
7. CB DeMarcus Milliner, Alabama
8. OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
9. DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
10. OG Chance Warmack, Alabama
11. CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State
12. DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon
13. S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

(Incidentally, of course, that's my big board.)

Are you comfortable passing over this much talent for Geno Smith? Any one player on this list could be a Chief. There is no obstruction between them and our roster.

I think that's a tall order for Geno to have to overcome. The argument of reaching for a QB over Hankins and Lane Johnson is tough enough. You're also asking the Chiefs ignore the very best this year has to offer in elite talent like Joeckel and Lotulelei (and players who are likely to end up as choice favorites of any number of coaches, like Sheldon Richardson).

Suppose all those players actually meet their max potential. Then suppose Geno Smith meets his max potential. Who's going to make a bigger difference at that point? The QB that's who. The Chiefs need to draft Geno Smith #1 overall and build off of that.

KCDC 02-25-2013 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Direckshun;9432702] Are you comfortable passing over them for Geno Smith?[QUOTE]

You cannot ignore need and positional value. Both scream that the answer to your question is "Yes"

MagicHef 02-25-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9435635)
Yeah. That's what did it. If only the Chiefs could get that missing piece at ILB.

I'm sure it was the 49ers 23rd ranked passing offense that got them to the SB, not their 3rd ranked defense.

Sorter 02-25-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9437084)
I'm sure it was the 49ers 23rd ranked passing offense that got them to the SB, not their 3rd ranked defense.

Clearly you missed out on their playoff games.

Moron.

MagicHef 02-25-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9437148)
Clearly you missed out on their playoff games.

Moron.

Yep, I totally missed out on their 8th (out of 12) passing offense powering them to the SB. It certainly didn't have anything to do with their defense having the second most turnovers of any team in the playoffs. The only team with more was... oh yeah, the team they lost to in the SB.

MagicHef 02-25-2013 06:53 PM

The team with the #1 defense has won the SB 8 times.

The team with the #1 rusher has won the SB 4 times.

The team with the #1 passer has never won the SB.

NorthernWV 02-26-2013 04:05 PM

Personally I think Kenny Vaccaro is the most overrated player in this draft. I watched him miss so many tackles and have arm tackles the whole season, mix that in with a 4.7 40, I dont see what all the hypes about with him

Dave Lane 02-26-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9437860)

Stop trolling. It doesnt work when we know you are a opposing fans

Lex Luthor 02-26-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9437860)

Here's a list of the last 20 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks:

Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre
Super Bowl 32. John Elway
Super Bowl 33. John Elway
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco

17 out of 20 were elite quarterbacks, and Flacco certainly played like one the entire postseason. You don't have to have the passing leader, but you have to have an elite quarterback.