ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Oblivion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267490)

JD10367 05-01-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9644962)
The ending really bothered me. It's just . . . not the same, and I don't know how she could accept that it is.

I didn't have an issue with it. She

Spoiler!

keg in kc 05-01-2013 09:37 AM

Enjoyed it. Had issues with 52 at the end as well, but not to the level of 'hate'; it just bothered me. Also had some issues with some of the obvious early give-aways to the supposed major plot twist (his memory's wiped every 5 years, tech seems awfully advanced for 2070, etc), but all in all it was a pretty cool movie. Oh, and it seemed odd to me that the Odyssey's sleeper units were released from the tractor beam. Too convenient. Not to mention the existence in 2017 of a manned trip to Titan. Something that would have had to be in development long before now. They should've pushed that date back at least 10 years, and probably more. But that's mostly nitpicking.

JD10367 05-01-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9648390)
Oh, and it seemed odd to me that the Odyssey's sleeper units were released from the tractor beam. Too convenient.

Well, since tractor beams haven't been invented yet and have only been seen in "Star Trek" and "Star Wars", I guess there are two schools of Tractor Beam Theory: the first would be that it's a column of some finite distance and everything in that column will be pulled towards the source; the second would be that it's more of a beam that will "lock on" to the first object it touches and, thus, anything behind it will not feel the effect. My assumption in this instance is the second case (that it locked on to the Odyssey and pulled it in, so anything behind the ship would be immune to the beam).

keg in kc 05-01-2013 10:11 AM

We're talking about an alien object so much more technologically advanced than we are that it seems god-like, yet it allows 90% of the object it grabbed to get away simply because it disconnected, without adjusting in any way? That seemed like lazy writing to me...

Forgot to mention earlier, I thought the movie fell apart a bit during the third act. Starting about at the point 49 got back to the scavs, through the attack. Just felt off pace. Particularly during Morgan Freeman's long (and I thought unnecessary) historical monologue, but it seemed to recover by the very end.

ChiefaRoo 05-01-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9612830)
It sounds terrible. Like, worse than Prometheus.

Androids... you can't trust 'em.

Buehler445 05-01-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9648390)
Enjoyed it. Had issues with 52 at the end as well, but not to the level of 'hate'; it just bothered me. Also had some issues with some of the obvious early give-aways to the supposed major plot twist (his memory's wiped every 5 years, tech seems awfully advanced for 2070, etc), but all in all it was a pretty cool movie. Oh, and it seemed odd to me that the Odyssey's sleeper units were released from the tractor beam. Too convenient. Not to mention the existence in 2017 of a manned trip to Titan. Something that would have had to be in development long before now. They should've pushed that date back at least 10 years, and probably more. But that's mostly nitpicking.

Well, to be fair, 57 years ago was 1956.

Here was a combine from 1956 - 4 row head cutting conventional corn.
http://www.grainfarmer.com/imageEQL.JPG

2013 combine cutting 16 rows of Genetically modified corn to fight bugs that they didn't even have insecticide for in 1956. Not to mention that it has auto steer, auto speed, tells the graincart when it is full and the operator can run the grain cart tractor from the cab.

http://www.deere.com/common/media/im...90_642x462.jpg

And it is farming FFS, notoriously low-tech.

I don't think technological advancements 57 years from now require that much suspension of belief.

keg in kc 05-01-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9648535)
I don't think technological advancements 57 years from now require that much suspension of belief.

You could say the same thing about the last 20 years. But it wasn't really 57 years of technological advancement. It was just five years until the planet was devastated, and then there was a war against overwhelming forces. So while war can spur advancement, history makes that abundantly clear, I don't think we're talking about labs all over the planet anymore, and much of the population (including researchers and scientists) is dead. So how does all this development happen? The only thing I could rationalize is that we reverse-engineered alien technology. But how do they build those gigantic sea harvesters, not to mention the Tet, inside of the movie's time-frame?

It's an easy problem to fix, in any case, similar to the issues with having the Odyssey flight in 2017. Make that flight in 2037, and make the events of the movie happen in 2177. Then their plot twist is an actual plot twist instead of a "duh, that was obvious 3 seconds into the movie".

Hammock Parties 05-01-2013 04:52 PM

The Tet was
Spoiler!

keg in kc 05-01-2013 04:54 PM

I know. I was explaining why that was such a poor plot twist because it was so obvious from the start.

Hammock Parties 05-01-2013 04:56 PM

Well, it certainly didn't register with me...*shrug*

Fish 05-02-2013 11:47 AM

You have a super agile flying dragonfly craft, to navigate the dangerous terrain. So what do you do? Land the sumbitch, and hop on a motorcycle. WTF?

Beef Supreme 08-09-2013 09:37 AM

Watched this last night after the football game. The plot had holes, definitely. But goddamn this movie looked beautiful. And the sci-fi tech was pretty kickass as well. And despite several problems with the narrative, I mostly enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for sci-fi and post-apoc stuff.

Frazod 08-09-2013 09:42 AM

I enjoyed it enough to buy it. I'm going to wait until Star Trek comes out next month and order them together.

007 08-10-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9870406)
I enjoyed it enough to buy it. I'm going to wait until Star Trek comes out next month and order them together.

so are you buying the toy phaser?

Deberg_1990 08-10-2013 10:15 AM

I haven't seen it, but from the previews, it doesn't look like a complete CGI fest. Looks like they used real locations and sets as much as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device