ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Daniel-Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253139)

Deberg_1990 11-18-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9127821)
Mrs. OTW58 and I were going to see it last night, but decided not to.

We typically won't bother seeing a movie unless it's being shown in one of the 21+ theaters with assigned seating. We only go 3-4 times a year, and I'm spoiled by having an assigned seat, showing up 10 minutes early instead of an hour to get a good seat, no teenagers talking/texting through the film, having access to booze, etc.

Figured opening weekend we wouldn't have a problem.

Instead, all of the 21+ theaters were showing the ****ing Twilight movie.

:banghead:

Yes, assigned seating kicks ass. I love being able to just show up and sit down instead of having to show up an hour early to fight for a seat.

Buehler445 11-18-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9128019)
Yes, assigned seating kicks ass. I love being able to just show up and sit down instead of having to show up an hour early to fight for a seat.

I'd love the 21+, but living in bum****nowhere does at least allow me to not fight for a seat most times. 15-20 minutes usually gets me a decent seat.

Deberg_1990 11-18-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9128024)
I'd love the 21+, but living in bum****nowhere does at least allow me to not fight for a seat most times. 15-20 minutes usually gets me a decent seat.

Yea, i imagine living in a smaller town, would mean less people.....so less crowds.

When you live in a big city like i do, reserved seating is a lifesaver. They usually only offer it on Weekend nights or busy holidays...obviously those are the busiest nights.

rocknrolla 11-18-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9126843)
ya, it sure is...did i just see kelly leak from bad news bears??...:eek:

I saw it yesterday. Thought it was great but slow. DDL and Tommy Lee Jones were exelent. Yes I thought that was Kelly Leak also?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fishpicker 11-19-2012 09:54 AM

saw this on Saturday. I loved the movie and I didn't think it was slow. the pacing was pretty even throughout. yeah it's long but, if you're into Civil War history, it doesn't drag.

Kelly Leak (Haley) was in this as VP of the Confederacy, Alexander Stephens. He did damn good in that role. The guy that played Grant was good too. The movie was cast really well from top to bottom.

Deberg_1990 11-19-2012 10:16 AM

Jackie Earle Haley has Made a comeback over the past 4 or 5 years. I think he was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago….he played Freddy Kruger in the Elm street reboot, and was also in the The Watchmen film.

mr. tegu 11-22-2012 02:09 PM

Just saw this movie last night. It was pretty good overall with some nice supporting characters. It did move a little slow though. I felt like some of the scenes with Mary Lincoln were a little dragged out.

cdcox 11-23-2012 11:01 PM

Really good movie. The slow pacing was needed to show the full picture of Lincoln: 1) his relationship with his two sons, 2) the agony that he went through with the death of his son and the difference between how he and his wife handled it, 3) how he vacillated on the decision about whether to sacrifice the easy end of the war to gain passage of the 13th amendment, 4) to show the political intrigue and bargaining., 5) the flavor of the house floor debates in those days. There is a lot going on in the movie. Very well told important story.

Agent V 11-23-2012 11:08 PM

The pacing can be explained by who they chose to write it. Tony Kushner is known for his playwriting ("Angels in America" omg), and the film was written very much like a play. Dialogue/rhetoric heavy, more of a focus on Lincoln's battle with the House and family-driven drama. LOVED Lincoln's monologues. You don't have to look much further than Kushner for a good ****ing monologue.

mr. tegu 11-24-2012 12:03 PM

I liked a lot of Lincoln's analogies. Unfortunately I can't quite remember them right now.

whoman69 11-24-2012 05:31 PM

Waiting for this to reach our discount theater.

NJChiefsFan 11-24-2012 05:35 PM

I liked it, but I also went in wanting to. They did a great job making DDL the most powerful man in every scene even though he was never the loudest. DDL and Tommy Lee Jones were great. So was the guy playing Seward, can't remember his name. Guy from Bourne.

Frazod 11-24-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9146800)
I liked it, but I also went in wanting to. They did a great job making DDL the most powerful man in every scene even though he was never the loudest. DDL and Tommy Lee Jones were great. So was the guy playing Seward, can't remember his name. Guy from Bourne.

David Strathairn. He's one of my favorite actors - always great in supporting roles.

Just got back from seeing this - it was fantastic, as you would expect considering the talent involved. Loved it. :thumb:

NJChiefsFan 11-24-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9147010)
David Strathairn. He's one of my favorite actors - always great in supporting roles.

Just got back from seeing this - it was fantastic, as you would expect considering the talent involved. Loved it. :thumb:

Thanks. Yeah it was great and so was he. Amazing how history can be changed by the small events like those involved in getting this vote.

Icon 11-24-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9125909)
I saw it a couple of weeks ago on the Disney cruise ship. It was a good movie, but it was very slow paced (not exactly an action flick). And it's actually misnamed; it's really not that much about Lincoln. It's about the months surrounding the passage of the 13th Amendment. Powerful stuff, to be sure, but I was expecting Lincoln's life story--childhood, formative years, the young Lincoln as he got into first law and then politics. The film starts with him already re-elected, already having signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the Civil War is almost over, and the film is basically about how he wants to push through the 13th Amendment even though his supporters tell him not to try it. (The overwhelming belief was that even the Northerners only wanted the war to end, and would not support the Amendment.) Then again, if it were called "Freedom", it would probably make little money.

Daniel Day-Lewis is great, of course, as he always is. He's definitely winning an Oscar. He portrays Lincoln in his last months as weary, slow-moving, almost telegraphing his impending death... and yet, with his occasional anecdotal speeches, displays the persuasive and subversive charm Lincoln had. (And with a few well-timed outburts, displays his passion and power.)

Excellent summary. Very well cast I might add.