ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Netflix : Godless (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313450)

BigRedChief 01-23-2018 07:40 PM

Netflix : Godless

Watched 3 episode so far. It's a very well done series. Love the Director, cinematography. Jeff Daniels is excellent.

blake5676 01-23-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13378916)
Watched 3 episode so far. It's a very well done series. Love the Director, cinematography. Jeff Daniels is excellent.

Awesome miniseries. We watched an episode a night for a full week. Cool storyline and cinematography, great acting. Was bummed when I found out halfway through that it wasn't an actual recurring series and just a 7 episode "movie". Either way, enjoy the rest!

dilligaf 01-24-2018 08:09 AM

Great Show. Definitely worth a look.

Ragged Robin 01-25-2018 12:51 PM

story-wise it really fell apart by the end and it seemed like they set out to make a "feminist western" without actually knowing anything about feminism so a lot of the beats they used ended up being the exact opposite ROFL

production was really good, story had enough intrigue to keep you going, and was largely entertaining though

Great Expectations 01-25-2018 03:39 PM

I really enjoyed it, now I’m half way through Peaky Blinders. The first season was ok, but it is really picking up steam.

BigRedChief 01-25-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 13381581)
story-wise it really fell apart by the end and it seemed like they set out to make a "feminist western" without actually knowing anything about feminism so a lot of the beats they used ended up being the exact opposite ROFL

production was really good, story had enough intrigue to keep you going, and was largely entertaining though

l don’t get this recent trend of putting personal politics into how you view a show or movie. WTF would you have had them do?

Spoiler!

Ragged Robin 01-26-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13382320)
l don’t get this recent trend of putting personal politics into how you view a show or movie. WTF would you have had them do?

Spoiler!

Has nothing to do with personal politics. They went well out of their way to wave the "feminism" flag but ended up being a mockery if anything else. Just makes the writers look stupid.

BigRedChief 01-26-2018 09:28 PM

Finished the series. Everything about this series was fantastic. The cinematography and musical score was as good as any movie I’ve ever seen on a made for TV movie/series. That last episode cinematography reminded me of the cinematography in Dicapiro’s Revenant. The acting by everyone was top quality.

From an artistic movie making perspective, this is the best Netflix has ever done.

WilliamTheIrish 01-26-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 13381581)

Yea, it built up well. The ending was (won’t say anything to spoil it) as you say.

Until that point it was tremendous.

underEJ 01-29-2018 01:02 PM

I am surprised that anyone would think this is a feminist western. No feminist western would give men the predominant storyline. It is true that, for a western, there is a high count of female characters, and many of them don't ascribe traditional western roles. On the other hand, the high number of male pov rapes and male rescues of damsels would soundly drown out that feminist chorus.

Try again. The show is called Godless, not Manless, for a reason. (Do ignore the trailer tagline about no man's land. Like many trailers, it hardly knows its own story.)

Edit: That sounds a bit like I'm mad at it for not being feminist, but I'm not. I very much liked it.

Ragged Robin 01-29-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 13386973)
I am surprised that anyone would think this is a feminist western. No feminist western would give men the predominant storyline. It is true that, for a western, there is a high count of female characters, and many of them don't ascribe traditional western roles. On the other hand, the high number of male pov rapes and male rescues of damsels would soundly drown out that feminist chorus.

Try again. The show is called Godless, not Manless, for a reason. (Do ignore the trailer tagline about no man's land. Like many trailers, it hardly knows its own story.)

Edit: That sounds a bit like I'm mad at it for not being feminist, but I'm not. I very much liked it.

At no point did anyone in this thread said that this was a feminist western, in fact the exact opposite is the case. Perhaps you are the one that needs to try again ROFL

underEJ 01-29-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 13383636)
They went well out of their way to wave the "feminism" flag

In what way does a film maker go "well out of their way to wave the feminism flag" in a western movie, while not making a feminist western?