ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Is Your Work Affected By Weather? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276219)

Rain Man 09-13-2013 12:27 PM

Is Your Work Affected By Weather?

Just curious. I see two dimensions: weather affects or does not affect your ability to do work, and weather affects or does not affect customers' ability/desire to use your company.

My business is not affected at all. If there's a big snowstorm nearly all of my employees have laptops and can work from home, and our clients don't slow down in rain or snow. We're pretty weather-independent in the market research industry.

BryanBusby 09-13-2013 12:29 PM

Since we do a lot of transportation, our business completely shuts down anytime there's significant snow accumulation.

KC_Lee 09-13-2013 12:31 PM

Weather really does not effect my work as a Business Analyst for a large data company. However, since the city of Nashville only has 2 snow plows half an inch of snow shuts down the city.

Luckily I can work remotely at home.

Buehler445 09-13-2013 12:31 PM

LOL

Technically no. Regardless of weather I've got work to do. But yeah, weather affects my job.

BIG_DADDY 09-13-2013 12:32 PM

almost never

gblowfish 09-13-2013 12:33 PM

Only in terms of shipping. When we're shipping stuff either here or out to a client, bad weather can affect due dates.

DaFace 09-13-2013 12:37 PM

I can work from anywhere, but my work depends on the weather in the sense that our customers' sales tend to vary a lot depending on how favorable the weather conditions are for their activity of focus. So in that sense, the TYPE of work I end up doing sometimes varies based on what activity's brands have the most money to spend on research.

Moon§hiner 09-13-2013 12:38 PM

Anyone in HVAC is affected because of power outages and snow storms. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Especially if the roads are closed.

Otter 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

Volcanic eruptions or slight drizzle?

BlackHelicopters 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

Snow mainly affect ability of customers to reach us, and the employees to make it in. Any excuse not to go to the Dentist.

rockymtnchief 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

We put as much fiber and copper in the ground as weather and frost permit. Once everything is frozen or soggy, we start doing aerial work or wrecking out old plant. We're buried in work in the Spring/Summer/Fall and hustling every day. The aerial and wreck out work we usually do at a relaxed pace.

Graystoke 09-13-2013 12:49 PM

It actually is very affected by weather.
The Saying "When it Rains it Pours" kinda sums up what happens.
I work for a Municipal Treatment Works. Like any old town the infrastructure, sewer pipes under ground, take on water like a sieve when it rains. Normal flow of 25 Million Gallons per day can increase upwards to 100 MGD causing all kinds of problems at Lift Stations and the Treatment Scheme.
Takes alot of capital and time, but slowly we are fixing the problems.
But when it rains hard, my phone starts ringing.

blaise 09-13-2013 12:54 PM

Almost never. If the weather is too bad almost everyone can log in from home.

alnorth 09-13-2013 01:00 PM

No impact at all. The government forces you to buy some of our products, and the banks also force you to buy some of our products. When you are forced to our doorstep, we'll try to upsell you, but the weather wont impact that.

Fish 09-13-2013 01:12 PM

I'm always amazed at how much demographic information Rain Man manages to squeeze out of this forum. All completely voluntarily. Dude is a genious.......