ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Wait... doesn't the rule change concerning RBs.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271688)

Discuss Thrower 04-02-2013 08:28 AM

Wait... doesn't the rule change concerning RBs..

... effect the way defenses have to counter said rushers? If a back can't drop his shoulders for an extra yard, doesn't that, in theory mean that tacklers have an easier time bringing down guys once they cross the line of scrimmage?

And, if this is the case, then doesn't that negate the need for a "run stuffing" DT or ILB?

I could be -and probably am- wrong on this idea but at least it's a break from all of the Geno talk and forum drama.

DISCUS

Crush 04-02-2013 08:32 AM

The way the league's cronies described it, runners can still drop their shoulders. They just can't use their helmet as a "battering ram." Either way, Goodell and the former players are doing their best to destroy the sport.

Rasputin 04-02-2013 08:33 AM

I don't know how they expect a RB to protect himself from getting blasted. This is one of the dumbest rules they ever came up with. They are taking away the game of football.

Rasputin 04-02-2013 08:36 AM

What about 3rd and 1 yardage to go? What about plays like Priest Holmes diving over the top of the line of scrimmage for a touchdown? I think this rule is going be a petty officials decision case by case on what is allowed or not. They will inforce some and not others. Big cluster**** awaiting to happen.

Direckshun 04-02-2013 08:40 AM

My understanding is that this rule applies only if a RB is in space.

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9548787)
... effect the way defenses have to counter said rushers? If a back can't drop his shoulders for an extra yard, doesn't that, in theory mean that tacklers have an easier time bringing down guys once they cross the line of scrimmage?

And, if this is the case, then doesn't that negate the need for a "run stuffing" DT or ILB?

I could be -and probably am- wrong on this idea but at least it's a break from all of the Geno talk and forum drama.

DISCUS

I think the rule only applies in the open field. Blasting through the line of scrimmage is still ok.

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548833)
My understanding is that this rule applies only if a RB is in space.

Yeah, still not sure how they enforce it exactly. If the RB is 20 yards past the line of scrimmage but there are 3 DBs converging from 5 yards away--is that open field/in space?

BeMyValentine 04-02-2013 08:46 AM

Space = Outside the tackle box

Chiefshrink 04-02-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9548835)
I think the rule only applies in the open field. Blasting through the line of scrimmage is still ok.

That's the way I understand it. Between the tackles is ok because you have not had enough steam built up to be a battering ram but in the open field is where after the speed is built up and then you lower head becomes more of an issue.

But still when you look at the Dennis Byrd(I think that is who it was?) injury it didn't take much there.

Ace Gunner 04-02-2013 08:48 AM

now women can compete! which is good for football /goody goodell

patteeu 04-02-2013 08:57 AM

I don't see this rule really having any effect on the need for a run stuffer in the middle of your defense. As others have pointed out, it only applies to runners on the outside and downfield.

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeMyValentine (Post 9548850)
Space = Outside the tackle box

So what is the "tackle box" exactly? Between the tackles and a couple yards past them? Maybe anything past them.

cosmo20002 04-02-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9548895)
I don't see this rule really having any effect on the need for a run stuffer in the middle of your defense. As others have pointed out, it only applies to runners on the outside and downfield.

Sounds like "downfield" might mean a couple feet past past the tackles. That's not exactly usually 'open space.' I can't find a great definition, but it sounds like "tackle box" is between the tackles and behind them. In front of them, you're no longer in the box.

Dayze 04-02-2013 09:08 AM

the league is worried about safety, yet doesn't require players to wear thigh pads, or knee pads; dudes with no mouth pieces. dudes with chin straps unbuckled. etc.

it's a simple CYA for lawsuits.

patteeu 04-02-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9548908)
Sounds like "downfield" might mean a couple feet past past the tackles. That's not exactly usually 'open space.' I can't find a great definition, but it sounds like "tackle box" is between the tackles and behind them. In front of them, you're no longer in the box.

I don't know what the precise definition is, but my guess would be that it's similar to the distance downfield that would lead to an illegal receiver downfield penalty for an offensive lineman on a passing play.